Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbmoto
What's DOS?
Views: 3,281
Message 1 of 13

process com.motorola.home error

Hello,

Hoping someone could help me troubleshoot an error on my phone.  When I go to my "All apps" list and try to search for an app with either the search button or menu, search my phone goes back to the home screen.  I get a error message that lists "The application Home (process com.motorola.home) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

Any ideas would be appreciated.

John

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 13

Re: process com.motorola.home error

@jb

You may want to try going into the Market to get a 3rd party launcher.  

• Something like GO Launcher EX (which I use and recommend) or ADW Launcher...basically any of the top rated alternative launchers.  

• It sounds like the stock launcher file that handles your home screen is corrupted.

Let us know if this resolves your issue. Smile

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
jbmoto
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 13

@eaccents

I actually do use Go Launcher and uninstalled it to see if that was causing the error.  I was really hoping to find a solution as opposed to a work around.

Also the Go Launcher "App Drawer" works well too, but I liked the stock one for its ability to search for an app.

JB

Highlighted
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 4 of 13

@jb

Did uninstalling Go Launcher (not the EX version?) resolve your issue?

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
jbmoto
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 13

@eaccents

No, the problem persists with or without Go Launcher installed.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 13

@john

Have you gained root access to modify any of your stock files?  If so, then you may have inadvertently modified the launcher file.

If you have not rooted the phone, then you may have to do a factory data reset using the external keys (you should wipe the cache partition as well when you do this) in order to restore your phone to the way it was when you received it.

A factory data reset will wipe all data from your phone, so anything that you will want keep you will need to back up!

Instructions for a factory data reset using the external keys

Originally copied from a post by @mullins_j

Back up everything that you want from the phone's

• internal memory

• SD card

• list of apps (there are apps for this)

A. Wipe cache and wipe data (factory reset using external keys):

  Power off the phone, press and hold volume down button, then press and hold power button

  "Fastboot" will show up on top of the screen , press Vol down key to cycle through choices until you get "Android Recovery", then press Vol up key

  Wait for the "triangle ! / Android" screen

  Now press both Vol up and Vol down key simultaneously (you have to do this quick for about 10 second, up down up down up down). Then a menu will come up

  Tap on Vol down key until "wipe cache" is highlighted and tap Power button. Confirm and wait for it to complete.

  (similar to Step 5). From the same menu tap on Vol down key until "wipe data/factory reset" is highlighted, and tap Power key. Another Confirmation screen will come up. Tap on Vol down key until you are on "Yes" and tap Power key

  After userdata is cleared, the "reboot system now" option will be highlighted by Default. Tap Power key

  Phone will reboot to initial setup screen. DONE.

Please let us know if this helps clear up your issue(s)

An FDR is usually a tool of last resort (because it is time consuming to set your device up the way that you want it again), so feel free to wait and see if anyone else has other things to try.

Good luck! Cool

Gery
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 13

[SOLUTION]

this is a bug in latest google search app update

Sealed I got this error "The application Home (process com.motorola.home) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." , fortunately  i had a nandroid backup and have pinpointed this error to last google search app update, i had  1.1.2.64376 and works fine, then i received a google search update recently (last week i think)  and the search app function stoped working exactly with same message as you get  , new update was 1.3.3.247963 and it causes the error,  you might want to try removing this with titanium backup and reinstall an older version, that fixed it for me (restored from a previous backup)

my phone is an Atrix 4g att 2.3.4 OTA

jbmoto
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 13

@Gery

Thank you for your suggestion.  The only bad thing, it appeared Titanium Backup appeared it needed root.  I looked at the Applications, and I was able to uninstall the updates for Google Search bringing it back to version 1.1.2.64376.  Hopefully there will be bug reports filed and it will be fixed.

My phone is now working as it should.

John

realtorinvegas
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 13

I've confirmed the same thing. Restoring older version of google search fixed the issue.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 10 of 13

jbmoto said:

@Gery

Thank you for your suggestion.  The only bad thing, it appeared Titanium Backup appeared it needed root.  I looked at the Applications, and I was able to uninstall the updates for Google Search bringing it back to version 1.1.2.64376.  Hopefully there will be bug reports filed and it will be fixed.

My phone is now working as it should.

John

Cool! Cool  Glad you didn't have to go the FDR route Smile