Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA ELECTRIFY™ M
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

01-22-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 21 of 72

Re: Feedback on Upgrade

2015-02-09, 21:51 PM

Mark (Forums Manager) said:

rlcrosby said:

rlcrosby said:

A couple days ago I received a push of kitkat 4.4.2 for my Electrify M but when i try to install the update it starts the install process but fails about a third of the way through. I have deleted unused appsicon1.png, removed the sd card, and performed a hard reset. Any suggestions on how to get this update installed? 

View original

When you see the progress bar going across the screen... Press the Vol-Up and Vol-Dn Buttons simultaneously to bring up the install screen (recovery menu). 

If the above step doesn't work to unhide the install, try: Press and hold the VOL DOWN key for 5-10 seconds. While still holding the VOL DOWN key tap and release the VOL UP key.

It will stop when the upgrade fails with the reason why it failed. Provide a picture of the screen or copy the text into a message and I can suggest what is wrong. Removing apps from the phone likely caused this as removing system apps will cause security failure. You'd have to restore phone to stock JellyBean in order to be able to upgrade successfully.

Mark

Motorola Support

View original

I went ahead and did the factory reset on my phone but I am still getting the same error.  Following your instructions here is the error that I am receiving during the install.  Hopefully this will help.

The error states "system/etc/install-recovery.sh" has unexpected contents.

I am also attaching a picture of the screen.

View original

Did you install a custom recovery? It's not matching the stock recovery. The phone is modded. Restore to factory JellyBean and you should be able to upgrade.

Mark

Forums Manager

View original

Thanks for the reply Mark.  

I am running the same version of Android that was on the phone when I purchased it from US Cellular.  I have not attempted to modify the operating system at all.  How would I restore to factory jellybean?  The restore that I did over the weekend was on the top of the screen showing the error message I posted was an option to do a factory reset.  I selected this option and jellybean 4.1.2 was re-installed.  Could that image be corrupted?

Options

6 Posts

01-22-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 22 of 72

2015-02-10, 0:53 AM

rlcrosby said:

rlcrosby said:

rlcrosby said:

A couple days ago I received a push of kitkat 4.4.2 for my Electrify M but when i try to install the update it starts the install process but fails about a third of the way through. I have deleted unused appsicon1.png, removed the sd card, and performed a hard reset. Any suggestions on how to get this update installed? 

View original

When you see the progress bar going across the screen... Press the Vol-Up and Vol-Dn Buttons simultaneously to bring up the install screen (recovery menu). 

If the above step doesn't work to unhide the install, try: Press and hold the VOL DOWN key for 5-10 seconds. While still holding the VOL DOWN key tap and release the VOL UP key.

It will stop when the upgrade fails with the reason why it failed. Provide a picture of the screen or copy the text into a message and I can suggest what is wrong. Removing apps from the phone likely caused this as removing system apps will cause security failure. You'd have to restore phone to stock JellyBean in order to be able to upgrade successfully.

Mark

Motorola Support

View original

I went ahead and did the factory reset on my phone but I am still getting the same error.  Following your instructions here is the error that I am receiving during the install.  Hopefully this will help.

View original

Did you install a custom recovery? It's not matching the stock recovery. The phone is modded. Restore to factory JellyBean and you should be able to upgrade.

Mark

Forums Manager

View original

I am running the same version of Android that was on the phone when I purchased it from US Cellular.  I have not attempted to modify the operating system at all.  How would I restore to factory jellybean?  The restore that I did over the weekend was on the top of the screen showing the error message I posted was an option to do a factory reset.  I selected this option and jellybean 4.1.2 was re-installed.  Could that image be corrupted?

View original

Thanks for your help.  This afternoon I went to the US Cellular store and had the flash the factory jellybean build onto my phone.  Once this was done the KitKat update successfully downloaded and installed. 

I will post my KitKat experience in a couple of days.

Options

2 Posts

02-05-2015

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 23 of 72

2015-02-10, 4:01 AM

I am assuming this upgrade is in testing as my XT901 has not downloaded an update for kitkat nor will it when I check for updates.

Options

16327 Posts

11-22-2013

United States of America

13 Signins

325 Page Views

• Views: 325
  • Message 24 of 72

2015-02-10, 19:47 PM

fredff1 said:

I am assuming this upgrade is in testing as my XT901 has not downloaded an update for kitkat nor will it when I check for updates.

View original

Correct. Only a limited number have access to it.

Mark

Forums Manager

Mark
Former Employee
Options

16327 Posts

11-22-2013

United States of America

13 Signins

325 Page Views

• Views: 325
  • Message 25 of 72

2015-02-10, 19:52 PM

rlcrosby said:

rlcrosby said:

rlcrosby said:

rlcrosby said:

View original

Mark

Motorola Support

View original

View original

Mark

Forums Manager

View original

View original

Thanks for your help.  This afternoon I went to the US Cellular store and had the flash the factory jellybean build onto my phone.  Once this was done the KitKat update successfully downloaded and installed. 

I will post my KitKat experience in a couple of days.

View original

No the phone's software was altered in some way from it's stock state. Doing a reset will not remove that modification. Glad the USC store was able to reflash and restore your device so you could upgrade.

Mark

Forums Manager

Mark
Former Employee
Options

2 Posts

02-05-2015

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 26 of 72

2015-02-10, 21:22 PM

Thanks Mark for the explanation. I can confirm what you stated about BillC's problem with his phone, I live in the mountains of Maine where we have even less signal. My phone will heat up and I may get half a day when I go snowmobiling. When I shut off mobile data and wifi and only turn them on when I need it I can get all day use with at least 50% left.

Options

70 Posts

04-04-2014

United States

2 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 27 of 72

2015-02-11, 11:26 AM

just checking in and so far no issues except for the ones all ready posted and thanks fredff1 i will try that next weekend when we go out again

Options

1 Posts

02-13-2015

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 28 of 72

2015-02-13, 22:41 PM

How do I select multiple messages to delete them?

How come messages are not combined together (1/2 , 2/2) sometimes?

Can I delete messages with a swipe?

Options

9 Posts

02-15-2015

Brazil

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 29 of 72

2015-02-15, 19:24 PM

Well, Mark, I gotta tell ya... I am VERY dissatisfied with the upgrade.  Since I allowed the push to install on Friday, to both of our Electrify M's, we have not been able to connect to our home wi-fi network with either one.  I went to a public network this morning (our favorite grocery store) and my phone locked in and connected just fine.

But here at home, it sees the network and displays it as "Saved, secured with WEP"... but it will not connect.  I've tried everything... rebooting the router, deleting the network from the phone and then re-entering, tried modifying to "Auto" on the IP settings... NOTHING works to get these phones back on the home network!

We have no problem putting any of our other devices on the network... smart TV, tablets, laptops.

Coincidentally, we had to reconfigure both phones' Bluetooth profiles in order to connect to our in-home DECT telephone network after the "upgrade".  I also noticed that the Bluetooth icon no longer turns blue.

But back to the wi-fi connectivity issue... what's going on?  Perhaps more importantly, how do I revert back to JB?

Options

13 Posts

07-26-2014

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 30 of 72

2015-02-15, 19:55 PM
As for your connectivity issues, I cannot say why they're happening, or that I have them myself, as they work fine for me. However the Bluetooth and WiFi/data network connections no longer turn blue intentionally. This was a design change for some reason, which I happen to dislike. Hope you solve your problems,

Arkangel11004
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms