Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA MILESTONE™ (GSM)
All Forum Topics
Options

139 Posts

07-03-2010

Brazil

13 Signins

241 Page Views

• Views: 241
  • Message 1 of 10

[Feedback Central] Motorola Milestone 2.2.1

2011-03-25, 10:15 AM

Hello guys, how are you?

Well, I thought it would be easier to everyone (including Motorola) if we could centralize the opinions about the upgrade in one single post so I'd like to invite everyone from all countries to post your own experience here.

When posting, please provide the following informations:

- Country

- Kernel Version

- If you experience any DSI error (freezes, reboots, etc...)

- Your opinion, if better or worse. Try to englobe the maximum of information you can (battery, speed, stability, etc)

Let's participate dudes!

For moto: Thanks for honoring what you have promissed! That's really great to see when a company really does what they said and I hope you do with the rest of your smartphones line so consumers can rest they will have there upgrade too. Congrats!

Best Regards for everyone =D

angourakis
Options

139 Posts

07-03-2010

Brazil

13 Signins

241 Page Views

• Message 2 of 10

Re: [Feedback Central] Motorola Milestone 2.2.1

2011-03-25, 12:47 PM

Well, I think I'm going to start...

I'm running Froyo from yesterday (midnight) and a couple of hours today....

It seems faster than Eclair, the animations smoother and so on....

I got used to have my Milestone overclocked so back to stock now and it's 550Mhz I can realize Motorola have done a good job =D

The battery longers the same.. (actually I could not test yet..) and that's it.

Talking about bad things, Motorola could be released 2.2.2 (security patches included) as they did with Verizon (and I hope you consider this last update to Milestone) and the memory management is not that good.

I could with Eclair open the full view (PC View) of pocketnow.com ... and now I can't because the browser closes (low memory). This is not a big issue for me but I'll test later more stuff.

To finish it up for now, some apps insist not to work yet, as an example Faster Fix. It did work on other Froyo versions but not on Eclair and for some reason, not on Oficial Retail Froyo for Brasil...

I feel like there is some trash from Eclair in the system so I'm gonna update from a .sbf as soon as it be available and retest all the stuff again (with the wipes and everything)

Best Regards =D

angourakis
Options

139 Posts

07-03-2010

Brazil

13 Signins

241 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2011-03-26, 12:56 PM

Morning =D

I think I'm alone here =P but will keep posting so (maybe) someone find something useful

Yesterday I tested my Milestone a lot using 3G internet + GPS (Satelite activated) + calls + tweetdeck.... and well, it worked 95% well =D

Previously on other Froyo releases my Milestone just closed the GPS Navigation because memory issues (of course showing 3D and satelite images). Yesterday I could use almost 100% of the time with the images and no force closings... (actually it happened twice force closing the "maps" but the gps and the maps itself keeped working as nothing had happened.

The Milestone, of course, was pretty hot (about 44ºC battery temp - used "battery life" to see) but no reboots at all! so it's stable.

My only concern and problem using the GPS with satelite view is because the Maps while in this mode, lost itself sometimes (suddenly I was driving over a tree =P)

Then when I stopped using the GPS, the phone became pretty slowwwwwwwwwwwwww, REALLY! I used normally trying to see if it would back to the normal speedy and apparently, yep, I got it (back to use GPS navigation again to drive back home).

Then when I closed the GPS, it just behaviored normally and with 30% of battery (I think it remained very well)

I know have a question for US users (which I'll also ask in the properly area), is the Droid a bit slow too? Does it have this crazy behaviors?

That's it...

Regards

angourakis
Options

31 Posts

03-24-2011

Philippines

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 4 of 10

2011-03-26, 13:05 PM

hello, just wondering after your froyo update, does your facebook profile pics appear in "Messaging"? or does it just display a default android photo on your contacts?

Options

139 Posts

07-03-2010

Brazil

13 Signins

241 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2011-03-26, 13:22 PM

My contacts pics are from Google (I place them manually). You use the oficial Facebook app right? I unninstaled it since I use tweetdeck for Twitter, Facebook, Buzz and Foursquare

Regards

angourakis
Options

9 Posts

10-11-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2011-03-26, 20:04 PM

I suppose I should participate too!

Kernel: 2.6.32.9-gafbfc43 w21529@il93lnxebld12#1 my god, that's alotta characters.

When I first got it updated (just yesterday morning) I found that there was a programme called "acore" or something that kept having to force close. Even after restarting it, it still kept force closing. I did a factory reset and that stopped the problem. But I've noticed that most of my RSS-readers like Pulse or Google Reader will crash my phone after a few minutes. Even foursquare. I've stayed away from them since yesterday afternoon but if there's any fix for that problem, please let me know. The core programs that came with the update didn't have that problem but hey, why would they? Motorola spent ALOT of time exhaustively testing this, right? </bitter sentiments> An annoying thing is that they replaced the Switchpro widget which I got with the original firmware with some power control thing. I LIKED my switchpro widget, it was very useful. I had to download colour flashlight so I could access my flash, it's no longer a simple button on my homescreen. I have to open up the app and turn on the flash manually. I also have to do this to enable/disable 3G/2G. For the first half of the day, I couldn't access maps or GPS properly but that's since been resolved. But yeah, everything's rather swanky, youtube looked niiice with it's new UI, the animations from home screen to app were smooth and fast... Visually, it's very slick. And I say slick because it sorta rolls off your tongue. Not that that has anything to do with it. Sliiiiiiiiiiick.

The camera/camcorder hasn't really changed and I refuse to believe that Motorola has perfected it.

Now thinking of it... Everything's sorta got a darker colour palette to it. Is it just me that's taken notice of this?

I was quite the power user at 2.1 so by the end of the day I usually had to charge my phone... And I didn't really use my phone that much yesterday but I found that I had to charge my phone earlier than usual. Or that may be because I left the GPS on, hoping it'd work at some point. I'll see if my battery survives today.

Ah... There are all these "tips" appearing whenever I do something new, any way to turn this off? I wish there was an option to turn this off when I updated.

Otherwise, I quite like Froyo. Flash is an upside, I haven't tried it out yet but I like having it there.

Options

375 Posts

12-07-2009

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2011-03-28, 10:48 AM
"An annoying thing is that they replaced the Switchpro widget which I got with the original firmware with some power control thing."

I don't know if in NZ they did something different (unlikely) but in UK and elsewhere we had 'power control widget' which is a standard Android control. Never heard of Switchpro - are you sure this came with your phone and wasn't put on their by someone else?

Anyway, check out widgetsoid which is a good replacement for the standard power control AND has the flashlight feature you are missing It is very customisable in terms of appearance and which controls/displays/apps it shows.

"Ah... There are all these "tips" appearing whenever I do something new, any way to turn this off? I wish there was an option to turn this off when I updated."

Is that the home screen tips you're talking about? If so, it is just a widget - so drag it off your homescreen and put it in the trash.

Options

9 Posts

10-11-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2011-03-28, 11:44 AM

I had my milestone imported from Hong Kong I think (but they did tell me their sources in europe had ran out of stock because the shipment was delayed and I emailed them) whilst everyone else seems to have gotten their Milestone from Telecom XT (a disappointing telecommunications company in NZ). My friend who also has a Milestone, got his from Telecom and he had a power control widget instead. But I'm sure it came with the core programs in my phone since I did a factory reset within the first few days of recieving my phone.

It's not just homescreen tips(which has never been a widget on my homescreen), they appear from time to time on other things like the browser. They haven't shown up lately though so I guess... I've gone through all the tips? Tips has given up? Who knows.

I have Beautiful Weather which has a bunch of individual toggle widgets, too bad it doesn't have one for 3G or LED flash. That would've been pretty awesome. I like the Toggle Rotate option though, I can lie on my side in bed without the screen rotating on me.

Anyways, switchpro kept me reasonably satisfied for the amount of time I had it.

BTW, I still can't use any apps outside of my core apps for long without crashing my phone. Even tweetdeck doesn't last more than a few minutes.

Options

37 Posts

09-28-2010

2 Signins

27 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2011-03-28, 11:48 AM

Region: Brazil

Kernel: whatever is built-in in Brazil-Retail rom, not really important for the geniuses at work to solve issues

DSI Errors: none so far, doesn't mean the issue doesn't exists, it only doesn't show on my phone (and several other persons I know, but, I also know some people who has this issue)

Bugs: only one that annoys the hell out of me... SIMLock is not working properly. I've just entered my PIN once, phone never asked it again, tried airplane mode, turning off, pulling the battery out... It has never asked my PIN again. Tried switching PIN settings to none (perhaps options were switched), to no avail, switched back to ask PIN and it continues to not ask my PIN. This really is annoying.

Options

2 Posts

02-15-2015

Bangalore

6 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 10 of 10

2011-04-14, 6:37 AM

@daryldeal

Yes! :-( Pictures are gone.

I used SyncMyPix to take pictures from #FB & put it as google contact image so that in messaging and when calling people it shows a pictures. You can also schedule a weekly or daily Sync.

The Interface is slick and nice. Though if I remove a limit of 200 messages per thread then the Stock Messaging app gets pretty slow.

I noticed the Random Reboot has now been handled properly. Kudos! in all a good upgrade.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms