11-18-2011 07:16 PM
I have an XT860 on the Bell Mobility network in Canada.
I am new to the forum and did not readily find any other XT 860 posts on this matter.
I have been experiencing problems with the battery not lasting longer than 12 to 18 hours on moderate to light usage. Bell replaced the battery but that does not seem to have addressed the issue. Nothing in the way of apps appeared to them to be causing the phone to use up the battery that fast. The wifi was off as was GPS - in other words the usual supects did not appear to be the issue. The issue that did seem to be a problem was the Cell Standby - consuming approximately 47% of the battery and a close 2nd was phone idle. We partially came to the conclusion that the Cell Standby was an issue by comparing 2 XT860's to other android phones.
One of the employees in the store also had recently acquired the XT860 and indicated that he also had issues with the phone draining fast but was a heavier user than I am. He often could not get more than 6-8 hours on a charge. Checking with another android (not Motorola) user at the store found their cell standby was not nearly as high as compared to the XT860's. I also had my wife's Atrix with me and that phone had no where near the cell standby level (and she is a much heavier user and can got over a day usage on one charge).
Are there any suggestions or other settings to explore or possible issues with this phone that could cause the seemingly excessive battery usage.
Battery issue aside I like my phone.
01-05-2012 06:49 PM
I have appllied the latest update from Bell, 2.3.6 or Build number, 5.5.1-112_SLU-47.6M. This update handles the battery much better, and I completely recommend you to apply this update as soon as possible.
01-18-2012 09:09 PM
I too have the latest Bell update, but it didn't seem to make a lot of difference to my phone.
What has helped immensely is to turn off some of the applications and features. I am regularly getting 3-4 days between charges, with some phone usage (20 min a day), some e-mail usage, no music usage, minimal map usage, some browser usage.
- WiFi >> turned on sucks the battery down in 6-8 hours. So I only turn it on sporadically
- e-mail updates >> I connect to 3 accounts, but have it poll infrequently / not at all. I pop into the mail accounts to get it to retrieve updates
- GPS >> yes, like WiFi, sucks power badly.
- Google Maps >> even with GPS off, this sucks power. Doesn't seem to show up on the top ten, but if I "force stop" it my battery consumption rate halves. You have to "force stop" after every app update / re-boot though.
- Motorola Dock >> I don't have a dock, so I "force stop" this. Every time I re-boot.