Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kocmohabt33
What's DOS?
Views: 243
Message 1 of 6

cellphone is heating up..

Hello,

I am the owner of a Motorola Milestone 3 or xt860 and I currently live in Argentina. Ever since I started using the phone I've noticed that its heating up considerably when I use certain apps even though they aren't resource hogs, i.e. gps, a tetris app I downloaded from Google Play made by Electronic Arts. I was wondering if this behaviour is normal to cellphones like these and if it isn't, what can I do to stop it from heating up. I'm pretty aware that when any electronic device heats up too much it starts deteriorating, so I would really like to avoid this.

Thank you very much. 

MotoAgent
MotoAgent
Message 2 of 6

Re: cellphone is heating up..

Hi kocmohabt33,

If the phone heats up then that ususally means it uses a lot of battery. In your case I would have a look at the SD card first. Does it heat up without SD card inside?

Secondly, when did you last factory reset your phone? Software issues can lead to a heat up as well.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

Nicole

kocmohabt33
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 6

Thanks Nicole for your help. My cellphone didn't come with an SD card, and I haven't been using it with one since it comes with 16 GB onboard memory. I don't know if with an SD card it won't heat up. I guess I can try that.

As for the factory reset, the cellphone is basically new. I bought it no more than 1 or so months ago. As soon as I got it, I removed some pre-installed video games it had that I had no interest in and that my service provider was eager enough to install it for me. I would remove a lot more programs that came with the cellphone but to do that I need root command and I hear that rooting your cellphone voids the warranty. Also, I'm afraid that If I do a factory reset it might reinstall those games that I removed from my cellphone. 

Thanks again your help. I really appreciate it and I look forward to your reply. 

MotoAgent
MotoAgent
Message 4 of 6

Hi kocmohabt33,

How did you remove preinstalled software without a root? I am not sure how this is possible. All I can advise in the moment is to factory reset your phone to restore the original software and to take it from there.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

Nicole

kocmohabt33
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 6

Greetings Nicole,

I pressed the application until the context menu popped up and among the options was "Uninstall". To clarify though, these applications were games, specificically: The Sims 3, SpiderMan HD, and Need For Speed: Shift.

I did a factory reset to my cellphone and it did not solve the heating problem. It also reinstalled those games. As soon as I finished restoring my cellphone, it started heating up a lot. I checked the task manager to find that at least 11 applications were running, none of which consumed any CPU at all. All were at at 0-1% of CPU usage. I'm starting to get worried because if my cellphone heats up this much with CPU at 0% I can't imagine how much it will heap up when I use it at 50% of the CPU.

Regards.

MotoAgent
MotoAgent
Message 6 of 6

Hi kocmohabt33,

How about the SIM card? Is the SIM card older than 1-2 years or maybe scratched?

Does it heat up with a different SIM card as well? How is the network reception in your area?

Cheers,

Nicole