Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
802.11n
Message 31 of 42 (752 Views)

Re: Erratic touchscreen, keeps executing random commands by itself.

I agree Rob, it does seem to be batch/location related. The initial UK and Europe models haven't had this problem, but there are more and more people coming on this forum with this problem and they're all non-EU/USA.

I hope you guys get it sorted.

What's DOS?
Message 32 of 42 (752 Views)

@NIkhil: Sorry dude I couldn't sort out the problem on my milestone. Although its a great phone, but as U know the device is buggy, and HORRIBLE service support from Motorola (in India). Anyway I swapped my phone to a milestone xt720. Its a much better phone, and no issues so far. Touch screen is very responsive.

And just for the record this is not a batch related problem. I bought mine from milan, italy and it had been plagued by bugs and issues.

What's DOS?
Message 33 of 42 (760 Views)

This is infact caused by some moisture present on the screen as it is a capacitive touch screen it is highly sensitive to moisture and random EMF. The best solution for moisture is NOT rice, but a bowl of silica gel. or get a few of those tiny silica bags and leave the phone in there for a few hours. it should absorb all moisture.

What's DOS?
Message 34 of 42 (760 Views)

I have been experiencing the same issue with my Motorola Milestone.  It has been curious for me that many people in the blog is associating with humidity condictions.  In my case, the phone was operating "great".  I was in the caribbean; my phone was inside my hotel room with air conditioning and all the mess starter when I exited the room, probably because the change of temperature under humid conditions.  I saw there are two way to execute a hard reset, the one that can be done by the software and another option using the camera trigger button and the off/on.  I could not perform this last one, my phone continues operating erratic.  Was anyone successful in fixing this problem?

What's DOS?
Message 35 of 42 (760 Views)

I continue having problems with the erratic touchscreen of the Milestone.  I'm a frequent flyer and I'm detecting the problem that was originally associated with the effect of the humidity condensation has another potential cause.   My telephone was gradually returning to the original conditions of performance until I step into another trip.   My phone was working relatively ok again until I made a flight this week and the phone started to have erratic performance.  

Is there any way to re-calibrate the screen? 

What's DOS?
Message 36 of 42 (760 Views)

As far as I know there isnt any calibration possibility for now. Capacitive touchscreens dont need to be recalibrated because if you press the screen the software get its absolute coordinate. For resistive screens a recalibration option is useful. But I saw now on my brothers Defy that a Calibration option is available... Dont know what it really does...

What's DOS?
Message 37 of 42 (760 Views)

Looks like many people are having the same issue. There are loads of videos on YouTube showing similar behaviour of the phone responding to ghostly tocuhes. Am not sure what caused it but I faced the issue first time after 4 months of buying the phone in Bangalore. I sent it to the service center they took 10 days but replaced the touch panel and now again after two months the problem has re-surfaced.

I am not sure if it's a batch or whatever but something is wrong with the phone and sad part is am not in India either.

So for me it was a bad decision to go for Motorola Milestone and my 28K INR ot about 650 USD have gone down the drain.

Cheers !

What's DOS?
Message 38 of 42 (760 Views)

It's not only a single country problem. I am in Brazil and it's happening here too. If it's not the touch screen, there is always another component that does not last over a year of phone use.

I don't think a recall would help, because it's just a matter of time to happen again. Not to mention the battery life that made me felt I am back on the 90's. It does not last, and it still holds memory of the charge, so during a few months its duration is considerable shrieked.

What's DOS?
Message 39 of 42 (760 Views)

i bought my milestone in pune around 11months back, and apart from other myriads of issues, this frutrating issue has started appearing on my milestone as well. the phone is possessed and the screen appears to have developed a mind of its own. the device is useless even after restarting, in 5minutes or so.

i really feel these days that spending a whopping 28k on motorola was one of the biggest mistakes in my life.

the phone is slower than even a 10k HTC android device. the 2.2 upgrade is absolutely buggy and causes the home screen to crash every now and then. and then i keep waiting for couple of minutes until the home screen rebuilds itself.

and this ghost keys and taps has made my life miserable. so many times these days out of frustration i get the urge to shatter this milestone into pieces and be done with it once and for all.

i am going to take this to the service centre tomorrow. if it's repaired, i will probably sell and get rid of it, despite losing so much on it.

अक्कलखाते जमा.

What's DOS?
Message 40 of 42 (760 Views)

RobBillington wrote:

I had this same problem for a short while but it did stop by itself.  It was wierd to watch though - almost looked like someone else was deliberately opening specific apps, deleting mails etc.

I've had my UK Milestone since last December and the problem only started happening 3 weeks ago and lasted for a few days.  I keep my phone in my front jeans pocket and was moving house when the problem occurred, carrying a lot of heavy boxes around etc.  I put the problem down to maybe the phone getting a slightly crushed/twisted while locked in my pocket.  Perhaps all the exertion meant there was also more moisture than normal around the phone too...

I suggest you try keeping/carrying the phone somewhere different for a while and see if that helps.

Cheers,

Rob

I've had the same issue during the last month, and tentatively put it down on moisture, as it's been pretty warm and humid here, and I have been doing some heavy work at the same time. The phone often became wet on the surface but didn't come back after wiping it. Letting it stay in the car holder (Smoothtalker) for a while almost always cleared up the problem. My guess is that the digitizer has some place inside where it is moisture sensitive. What I do wonder if this is an error, or standard behavior. Anybody got a Milestone that isn't sensitive to extreme amounts of moisture?