Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Message 1 of 4 (285 Views)

MILESTONE (GSM) - how to use 3G but disable H (HSPA/HSDPA/HSUPA)

I have a Motorola Milestone (GSM).  I live in a rural area.  2G (GSM) reception is okay, but 3G (UMTS) is marginal.

FRUSTRATINGLY, The phone tries to get "H" (UMTS with HSPA) occasionally, but HSDPA reception is poor and downloads stall, resulting in fallback to "G" or "E" (2G GPRS/EDGE GSM).

HOWEVER, The phone sometimes gets "3G" (UMTS without HSPA) and can consistently sustain a good stream of data.  Until it tries HSPA again.

QUESTION: Is there a way to disable "H" (HSPA) so that it is never used and the phone only tries standard "3G" (UMTS)? 

The data-rate at 3G would be sufficient for me because the reliability of the connection is more important.  "2G only" is reliable, but a bit too slow.  One suggestion I have come across for other phones is to "dial back" the revision of HSPA to "0".  Is that possible for the Milestone?

Bit Torrent
Message 2 of 4 (285 Views)

Re: MILESTONE (GSM) - how to use 3G but disable H (HSPA/HSDPA/HSUPA)

There is no way to disable HSPA without disabling UMTS as well, as they are essentially the same.

If you're having data issues with HSPA, I would contact your carrier.

What's DOS?
Message 3 of 4 (285 Views)

Thank you for replying promptly.  I do accept your comment that HSDPA and HSUPA are essentially the same as UMTS. They are each extension to the revisions of the UMTS standard.

That's partly why I made reference to the fact that other makers have an option to "dial back" the revision so that the earlier, less complex encoding and lower speeds are forced. Revision "99" gives the basic, original standard UMTS specification, which results in more reliable if slower data rates. HSDPA and HSUPA appeared in revisions 5 and 6 respectively.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Mobile_Telecommunications_System

I suppose I also have to accept that there is no option for this on the Motorola Milestone.
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 4 (285 Views)

In order to take this up with my carrier, Vodafone UK, does anyone know the revision of UMTS supported my the Motorola Milestone?