Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alanjenney
What's DOS?
Views: 670
Message 1 of 4

Rotation or not, despite Display Orientation in Settings

I have seen some similar postings in the Droid forum, but thought I should pose the query here to see if anybody else is experiencing the same problem.

When Orientation is checked in Settings... Display, the orientation of the screen switches from portrait to landscape with the rotation of the phone in most applications.  When Orientation is unchecked in Settings... Display, the orientation of the screen remains fixed in portrait in most applications.

Annoyingly, there are some exceptions to this.  When disabled, there are some apps that STILL go to landscape view when there is minor jolting to the phone (e.g. when walking or cycling).  They seem to be mapping-related apps such as Google Navigation, Google Maps, OpenSignalMaps and so on.

When enabled, neither the Home screen nor the Phone and Contacts app swivel with the rotation of the phone.  If you open the keyboard they go landscape, so why not automatically?  It's weird to have to move the phone back and around everytime I switch between these common apps.

Even after a full data reset it still happens.  I would really like to know if this is just a feature of my phone and if not whether a fix might be in the offing.

shamarama
802.11n
Message 2 of 4

Re: Rotation or not, despite Display Orientation in Settings

From what I remember the default home, dialer and contacts never rotate based on phone orientation (annoying if you have your phone in a landscape car holder and it receives a call).

You can use a home replacement, such as ADW or LauncherPro and get the functionality of home screen rotating with the phone. I don't know about any dialer/contact replacements though ... I know ADialier doesn't rotate.

As for certain apps ignoring your "don't rotate" preference, I would guess that is a 'feature' of the app and it is simply ignoring your preference. Strange that they are Google apps, maybe they've decided that 'no rotate' isn't something you really meant when it comes to maps and navigation

alanjenney
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 4

For the dialler and home apps being fixed to portrait, this has not been a problem for me.  The problem is those apps that rotate when the phone is jiggled.  My experience is that they are only Google Maps - related apps and I mentioned this to Google in their Maps forums.

Something seems to have changed as time has gone on: apps that use Google Maps seem to be ignoring the "do not rotate" setting a lot less.

Problem not "solved", but is at least reduced.

Highlighted
Shisimocha
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 4

I got the Moto g 2nd gen about a month ago, and I noticed sometimes when I unlock it, and then open an app, for example, the Messenger app, it sometimes will open in landscape mode, even though I'm holding the phone in portrait mode. Even if I go back to home screen, or close the app altoghether, and open it again, it's still in landscape mode. I have to reboot the phone to get it back to portrait mode. Weird! This never happened with my Nexus S, HTC Amaze, or Nexus 4. Is this a bug in the hardware that will be fixed with Lollipop? Anyone else have this problem?