Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Braf
What's DOS?
Views: 694
Message 1 of 12

Android Market restrictions.

Purchased my XT701 in Canada.  Successfully updated Google maps while there.  Now in the Caribbean, I am not being offered updates and many apps do not appear available when I search for them. 

I am intrigued to discover why this is happening.  Who do I complain to?  

Any insights? 

scrounger
Token Ring
Message 2 of 12

Re: Android Market restrictions.

Are you certain that you have apps that have updates?

Braf
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 12

Yes.  Quite sure. 

Certain apps though discoverable in App Brain, are not available in Android Market. 

Monotremata
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 12

Could be moving your phone from region to region is doing it.. I know if youre outside the USA (and running an outdated Backflip with OS 1.5) you wont see the Ebay app in the Market..

This morning I was trying to find the Paypal and Google Voice Search apps with no luck. Pulled my SIM Card out and went to the Market and all of a sudden Paypal showed up and let me install it.. Had to go out of my way to find Google Voice Search elsewhere..

Or it could be that the newer version of the app youre looking at just dropped support for 1.5 which means it wont show up in the Market anymore either..

Braf
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 12

Please accept my apologies for posting in the wrong section, I have relocated.  Here are the particulars of my handset.

Device Model: Motorola XT701

Firmware version:  2.1 update1

Baseband version: 3GSMEPU91A_U_91.07.56I

Kernel version: 2.6.29-omap1 prodcm@zch68-ardo1 #1

Build number: STCU_41.07.0.1277272334

I have tried searching with SIM out on WiFi with identical results.  I am thinking, as you suggest, that this is a regionally imposed restriction.  Do I need to get behind a Proxy Server or can Android Market be convinced "I'm not a crook"? 

servbotx
Bit Torrent
Message 6 of 12

I hope this helps with your question.

Braf
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 12

I think I understood the majority of that.  Thanks.

I am thinking however that this does not address the problem.  The apk once obtained installs and runs perfectly.  It is just a matter of Android Market not giving me access to the apk file.  I first thought that the problem was that AM did not recognize the handset but dismissed this as AM functioned normally while in Canada.  I understand that this region is not approved for AM purchases but Google Maps is free.  ??

I will continue to work around this but find it inconvenient and nonsensical.  I am sure there is a simple explanation but I am equally sure that it will be irrational once discovered. 

dusant
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 12

I have a similar problem

I have a Motorola ME525 running on Android 2.2 I have a similar problem. I am in China.

I do not have an APP called the Android Market. I have an icon called "Shop4App". When selected, I get a choice of preselected Motopicks, I also have the option to search. But when I search for any app which I want, it always says no App found.

I know there are so many suitable APPs for my needs, but I am not able to download any APPs through the "market". I have tried downloading from my PC but my browser returns an error "unknown method". I have tried three methods of downloading APPs.

1) Using the Bar Code

2) Sending a link to my mobile

3) Searching for the APP in "Shop4App"

All fail.

Is it a flaw in the Motorola or Android 2.2?

When I click on any link which is selected on the mobile phone's browser, I get a message window

"! Sorry! The application SHOP4APPS (process.com.moto.mobile.appstore) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

and there is this button "Force Close" which I have to click to start working again.

Is this problem mine alone? No. I went to the Motorola Service Centre, and the guy there showed this issue on other phones too. So I am assuming a BIG flaw in the Android OS. Unfortunately Google is not listening.

Ready to pull my hair out.

scrounger
Token Ring
Message 9 of 12

I do not know if this will help, but have you tried going to the Android Market online (market.android.com).

dusant
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 12

Yes I have tried it. The link always directs me to the correct page. However, I have tried to download several APPs from there, both free and paid. It first asks me to sign in with my gmail account. When I do, it says "

There are no Android phones associated with this account. Please sign in with a different account."

But whereas, I already have set up my phone with the same account and is registered on Moto Blur.

Aarrgh.