Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slsmag
Not applicable
Views: 26
Message 18 of 23

Re: New Moto Android Phone Announced: MOTOROI

Steve -

What are you seeing in the MOTOROI that I am missing?

The Droid runs the same software and has the same features, except:

the Droid ADDS a physical keyboard and the camera is 5MP

the MOTOROI  doesn't have a phyical keyboard but ADDS HDMI out and an 8MP camera.

- michael

SteveRyan
Not applicable
Message 22 of 23

Did you even look at the media video I posted? Obviously, the applications and media capabilities are much different that the Droid. Just because it runs on the same OS doesnt mean that the built in applications are all the same.

Also, the Droid physical keyboard sucks. I would much rather have a phone with a larger screen so that the display keyboard is better.

slsmag
Not applicable
Message 23 of 23

Yes, of course I watched the videos. They are very nice.

The pre-release videos of the Droid in action were pretty slick, too.

Several things to keep in mind:

the videos are showing Android 2.1 apps, which the Droid will also have, or have available

the videos are of a pre-release software

they're marketing videos and the s/w is vaporware until it is actually released

that any particular s/w is shown on a Korean version of the phone, is no indicator that it would be available on any potential US version (which hasn't even been announced) - see pinch & zoom on the Motorola Milestone in Europe.

Here's a non-marketing video provided by Engadet:

I've already got a few of the Android 2.1 apps running on my Droid (like the wonderful Gallery) and use the terrific Xscope browser which has both pinch & zoom and pin-zoom. So maybe I'm just not too terribly impressed seeing the same things running on another Android phone?

And file these under "to each his own":

I bought the Droid because it did have a physical keyboard. While I don't use it a lot, I turn to it enough that I wouldn't give it up for a phone without one. It took a while, but I'm pretty proficient on it now and just having the D-pad for navigating web sites is worth it for me.

I already have to wear my glasses to see anything on the Droid - so 720P on the MOTOROI means nothing to me.

And while it's nice to be able to take a snapshot or short video clip with my phone (any phone), it's not why I carry a smartphone. (One of the nice features I see listed in the specs is that the MOTOROI has a xenon flash... and that will make flash shots MUCH better than on the Droid.)

All I really care about is connectivity to my communications (email, messaging), internet access (web sites) and data (docs, pdfs). Yes - that's just me - and I can certainly appreciate that others have different priorities.

the MOTOROI's screen is 480 x 854 (409,920) pixels at 3.7 inches

the DROID's screen is 480 x 584 (280,320) pixels at 3.7 inches

In real word terms that means that the MOTOROI processor has to address nearly 30% more pixels for what amounts to no more practical benefit (unless you really are into watching 720P video on a 3.7" screen). It's no wonder that the unit requires the 1Ghz processor. And when you add that processor to all of those extra pixels which need to be lit, well - let's just say that if you don't like the battery performance of the Droid, you're probably going to hate the battery life of the MOTOROI.

None of what I'm saying is a swipe at the MOTOROI

- I'm sure there is a market for it and that those who can use the features will be thrilled.

It's just not the device for me.

Besides, I can't read Korean.

- michael

PS   The MOTOROI is going to feel very weird to left-handed people.

Message was edited by: slsmag