07-13-2010 12:17 PM
I live in Canada and my "daily driver" phone for the past year has been an HTC Magic, which I'm now outgrowing. Now I'm shopping around for my next phone, and one of the options on the table is an XT701, many of which appear to support AT&T/Rogers/Bell/Telus 850MHz 3G, and which can be ordered from Hong Kong for a reasonable price.
Now to my questions:
1) If I buy an XT701 from eBay, will I get any kind of hardware warranty?
2) Will the Android Market work fine, provided I have a valid Rogers (or Bell or Telus) SIM in the phone?
3) Am I better off waiting for the GSM equivalent of the Droid X?
07-13-2010 12:29 PM
You would be better off looking for the XT720 which is similar to the XT701 but configured for Canada. (The XT701 is intended for Asia.)
Search on "XT720 Canada" and you may find a pre-order site.
07-13-2010 12:46 PM
"Configured" and "intended" are nearly meaningless to me; what I want to know is whether it will *work*. So far the only place I've found taking preorders on an XT720 only offers the T-Mo/Wind 3G bands.
Oh, I forgot another question. Is there any information on when the XT701 will see FroYo, preferably without rooting?
08-03-2010 04:01 PM
I've been using this phone for about a month now and it works just fine in Canada/US. However, I do have a few gripes and issues with this phone.
The firmware that shipped with my phone seems to be *very* buggy. Specifically:
- The SD card periodically becomes unavailable, and resetting or reinserting the battery usually doesn't fix the problem.
- Sometimes when I try to "wake" the phone by pressing the power button, the screen doesn't always turn on and a battery removal/insertion is the only way I've found to fix this problem.
- I've found issues with Wifi connectivity, e.g. sometimes the phone simply refuses to connect to one.
Note that these all seem to be software bugs, and I'm pretty sure there's a firmware upgrade that may fix most or all of these bugs (see the releases at https://opensource.motorola.com/sf/sfmain/do/viewProject/projects.stcu ). However, I can't connect to the update server in order to verify this (are they blocking non-HK/Taiwanese ip addresses?) and Motorola's update software seems to provide very little information.
Has anyone found a way to update this phone? I'd prefer not to root it, voiding the warranty, and risk bricking the phone. I'm interested in knowing if/when Froyo will become available for this phone too. I think the Milestone will be getting Froyo and I expect deploying for the XT701 and XT720 will require little extra effort...
Otherwise, it's a pretty nice phone.
08-03-2010 04:36 PM
Thanks Sheldon, I decided to wait until I get a chance to play with a Samsung Galaxy S and an iPhone 4; if neither of those turns out to be affordable and decent I'll think about one of these again.