Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
batmania15
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,041
Message 1 of 128

XT720 Upgrade News

I am sad to inform you that the Milestone XT720 for Canada, Europe, Middle East and Africa will remain on Android 2.1.  I know many of you will be upset on this news and will like to voice your opinion, and this is encouraged, but please do that in a professional and clean manner below.

The information is posted here on the upgrade news page:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/manager/softwareupgrades

Please Note:  The Milestone XT701 is not included in this announcement. 

khrislee
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 128

Re: XT720 Upgrade News

where is the update for Asia-Pacific

will asia-pacific remain 2.1

estebantrosce
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 128

I saw you posting this on an XT701 thread... Does this include the XT701? I guess no.

pajo
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 128

I simply can't believe this..............

and this is moto flagship multimedia device in europe?

with what support? two months?

no more moto for me, sorry I was your big fan

batmania15
Bit Torrent
Message 5 of 128

etrosce wrote:

I saw you posting this on an XT701 thread... Does this include the XT701? I guess no.

This does not include the XT701. 

batmania15
Bit Torrent
Message 6 of 128

khrislee wrote:

where is the update for Asia-Pacific

will asia-pacific remain 2.1

I will see if I can get more info on this for you.  From what I understand the Asia-Pacific device is called Motorola Milestone XT.  It's not referred as the XT720 or XT701.

TyrionWarMage
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 128

That is definitly a Moto-Killer for me also. I got the XT720 as first Moto phone, because of Android+Xenon Flash ... ignoring the bad reputation that Moto has in germany. Especially because they are already porting 2.2 to the MOTOROI and the hardware difference is near to none. Additonally, the 2.2 update is not just an update but  the update that gives an Android phone the edge over an iPhone (Flash). JIT and voice actions are also increasing usability alot.

I would be pacified a bit if Moto would release a bootloader unlock possibility. Then we would be able to get a CM 2.2 on the phones ourselves ... but that seems to be less likely then Moto giving in to the pressure and give us 2.2 themsevles. (as happend for the MOTOROI)

Jorehn
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 128

I think I'm not the only one that thinks this is a big disapointment. I bought my XT720 first week of july. That's about 1 month after the initial release. I still consider it a very good device. I've never complained about the bootloader being locked, I never complained about updates coming in late but to be honest I feel pretty much slapped in the face now.

Looking at the hardware, the phone is more then powerful enough to run froyo. The motorola milestone that was released months before the XT720 and which does have lower specs then the XT720 does get an upgrade. This would suggest this descision wasn't made based on technical reasons. I know it's probably classified but going to ask the question anyway. Can anyone give an explanation as of why the phone isn't upgraded (and will for example the bug in webkit be patched with a firmware upgrade?)

Thumbs up btw for you batmania15, mustn't be the nicest job, being the messenger for this news.

estebantrosce
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 128

Just as a feedback. It would be good if Motorola adds all the Android phones to the upgrade table (https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/manager/softwareupgrades). Otherwise, it is really confusing to know if your phone is or isn't going to be update. If Motorola doesn't know about the upgrade of some specific phone, just add it as "We do not know yet".

In my case, before buying the XT701 I was looking for info about it and about the upgrade. The above page do not show specific info about Milestone XT701, it just included info about Milestone, so I guessed my phone was included there and bought it. I thougth that the entry for Milestone, included all Milestone series phones.

I am now waiting for news about Milestone XT701 but I do not expect good news. Anyway, before complaining, I'll wait for official news about it.

texascowboy_197
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 128

This is really B.S. that Moto will update the milestone and not the xt phones! Wake up Moto, you finally had a chance to be at the top again and your throwing it away by not following through with your updates. I am seriously considering canceling my order for my xt711 because of the way Moto is treating their customers. Thanks.