Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anthonya2369
What's DOS?
Views: 140
Message 1 of 5

Android Upgrade for the XT720

I have read the forums pretty thoroughly and I know that Motorola has indicated that the Milestone XT720 will remain on Android 2.1. I just bought this phone back in December. My question is: Does this mean that the XT720 will not be upgraded ever again to another Android version or just Android 2.2 is skipped. Can we expect to have a reasonable shot at Android 2.3 and that is why they opted to skip the 2.2 upgrade. Is it a hardward issue with Android 2.2 that caused the upgrade to be denied? Any insight on this would be great. I love the phone but would also love to have the issues with the low memory be resolved as well as flash. Since i have had the phone less than 30 days, I did not like seeing the low memory already! Other than those issues, I love the phone!

Please provide insightful responses. I understand people are upset with Motorola since the upgrade to 2.2 was not completed. I am just trying to find out what the reasoning for the lack of upgrade and when the plans for 2.3 roll out will occur and if XT720 would potentially get it!

Thanks and have a wonderful day!

cincyfan1
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 5

Re: Android Upgrade for the XT720

I can't find the link at the moment, but IIRC Mark has clarified that the absolute last Android verison XT720 will ever see (except for the Korean Motoroi) is 2.1. My XT720 is currently running 2.1-update1. Supposedly, there is a chance we may see something like 2.1-update2. But, we will never see 2.2 or newer.

updatemyfivehun
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 5

You will never see any operating system that is different from the one you have.  You should be mad, because the phone retails at CBW for $500+ and it is already obsolete.  You should complain like everyone else. 

Bootloader is locked as well, so you can't go for a third party firmware. 

Pretty crappy isn't it?

ford111
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 5

Signed.  we need 2.2 at least

allgamer
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 5