Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thecroztm
What's DOS?
Views: 540
Message 41 of 239

Re: Froyo on the US XT720 ?

Any idea when the next updates will show up? Is it a quarterly, or monthly thing? Not being able to run 2.2 essentially cripples this phone since it only has 256MB of internal (i.e. app installable) storage. My old 4GB iPhone 2G had no problems running ~90 apps yet I can only run 35 on this phone (That may sound like a lot, but a third of them are utilities just to get the functionality of the iPhone). If Motorola can't fully support ALL of their phones, maybe they shouldn't be making so many models...

Mark_Emeritus Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 42 of 239

@chaud-

This is the US XT720 community. I've already requested Asia-Pac. They must not have made a decision by the time the updates were made.

@thecroztm

The updates to the upgrade news site are not on any schedule. Ideally we are hoping to make them weekly/bi-weekly provided there is new information to share but for the time being they are si opus sit.

Mark

Support Forums Manager

Mark
Former Employee
thecroztm
What's DOS?
Message 43 of 239

For all you non-Latin speaking lazy people out there: "si opus sit" means "if there is need, if occasion requires, or if necessary." (Mark, what's Latin for "all of the above"?)

mcnutt_eric
What's DOS?
Message 44 of 239

I wouldn't have to use profanity if Motorola didn't screw over so many customers. Is Motorola just to lazy to make 2.2 work on our phone. I mean its on the Droid and our specs are better. I guess I'm just gonna have to start porting a ROM to work. I mean we shouldn't have to hack our phone to get 2.2 its just rediculous. Thanks for nothing Motorola. I'm never buying a Motorola phone again. I'm actually going to destroy this phone and post the video on YouTube then send the pieces back to motorola when I get a new phone. Ill put a link when I do it.

Moto Emeritus
Message 45 of 239

@mcnutt.eric

The status for XT720 hasn't even been posted yet. Is your profile information not accurate? It says XT720 Cincinnati Bell. I would hate for you to pre-maturely damage your phone if the site ends up saying otherwise. While we openly allow users to put their opinions on our site it is prohibited to put profanity or other prohibited information. In fact you intentionally edited your post to bypass the profanity filter. This site is not a right but a privilege. You agreed to the terms when you joined the site. Again I'm sorry for your frustration.

If you're going to talk about ROMs please take the discussion elsewhere. There are other sites for that type of discussion.

Mark

Support Forums Manager

Mark
Former Employee
mcnutt_eric
What's DOS?
Message 46 of 239

I am on Cincinnati bell. But what's the difference between our phone and the Asia or Canada version. I dont believe there is a difference, corrrect me if I'm wrong. Why would we be privalaged to get it and not them. This phone is non exsitant on the Motorola US website. I just want answers. I could of bought an unlocked HTC or samsung and had 2.2 months ago.

rcatkinson
What's DOS?
Message 47 of 239

Mark,

The status has not been posted and as fas as anyone can tell it never will be. Even "researching" would be better than nothing.

One problem that everyone is getting so frustrated about is on the Motorola Europe Facebook page it was posted that the XT720 will not be updated. And the 720 has never shown up on the update page under US. It does show up under Canada, but again thats states it will remain at 2.1. When you put the two together, guess what? We are never going to see an upgrade to 2.2 much less 2.3. As far as most are concerned we just got told that we are stuck with a phone that will never do Flash as it was adverstised to do and will never be updated, which was also promised at the time of purchase.  I moved from Nokia to the XT720 instead of going to an iPhone as I thought Motorola had a phone with a lot more potential. As of right now, unless something is announced very soon I will probably join a lot of the XT720 users and dump this phone and never return to Motorola again. Which is a shame because this phone does have a lot of potential. Motorola is being short sighted in their product support and will only drive more users to other brands or to the iPhone platform. I suggest you look at the comments on the European FB pages to see how people feel about what Motorola is doing right now. It is obivious that no one on your executive team reads any of these posts, either on this forum or on the FB pages.

To quote your own Corporate Responsibilty page " Our business success depends on keeping the trust that consumers have in the Motorola brand."

Your company has managed to throw that trust along with consumer loyalty right out the window.

If Motorola will not supply the updates then they should at least unlock the loader and allow consumers to update the phones themselves. If they break their phones they are no worse off than before they started.

Please feel free to forward this post to Dr. Sanjay Jha so he can understand the fustration we are having with your so called "global communications leader".

Moto Emeritus
Message 48 of 239

@rcatkinson-

As mentioned in my previous post earlier today the US XT720 is not listed but I am working to have it in the next Android Upgrade News site update. I specifically mentioned it so I'm not sure why you would think it would not appear there in the future.

Mark

Support Forums Manager

Mark
Former Employee
rcatkinson
What's DOS?
Message 49 of 239

Mark,

Apparently you missed the point of my post. Whether it is listed or not, it does not appear that another part of the world is going to be upgraded past 2.1 so why would we expect it to be any different for the US.

Moto Emeritus
Message 50 of 239

@rcatkinson

Decisions are made regionally and/or specific to a carrier. For example the DEXT and the CLIQ are the same phone. The CLIQ was upgraded to 2.1 in the US but the DEXT will not be receiving an upgrade.

Mark

Support Forums Manager

Mark
Former Employee