Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alX294
What's DOS?
Views: 371
Message 81 of 239

Re: Froyo on the US XT720 ?

thank you mrmako777. If you guys wanted froyo so bad then you would have gotten a device that had it to begin with. Stop complaining. And goleaf, why spend 650+ on a device that you say was apparently the best around at the time, when you could have found an unlocked vibrant for less? Or a nexus one, that thing was built for froyo, and now its even getting gingerbread. Are you really gonna blame Motorola for ONE single device? Because Motorola really has nothing to do with it. Its a joint decision between the carrier and Motorola. If the carrier doesnt want to bother to test it or make a big deal out of it, they wont. How pissed do you think HTC was when they found out Verizon wouldnt give the eris froyo? The device is perfectly capable, so why not? Because Verizon doesn't care. Motorola does care about its customers, even the small ones, or else it would have sent this flagship phone straight to T-Mobile instead of giving it to a regional carrier like Cincinnati Bell. They could make a lot more money off of another carrier, but they gave us the phone anyway. Cincinnati Bell is testing froyo, the US XT720 has not been added to the timetable, nothing is official. Honestly, did you really buy the phone for froyo? Or did you buy it for the 8 megapixel camera with xenon flash, the amazing media playback, the hdmi out, 720p video recording, which by the way most phones cant do, even with froyo, and the fact that its the thinnest android phone available. Dont get pissed that the update is late, be thankful for what you have, and if you don't like it, shut up and get a different phone, instead of making pointless complaints. Theres tons of other phones you can go out and pick, we dont care that you like the g2 more, or that you need flash for your work, which sounds really stupid, what do you need flash for anyway mightyjackstar? Sure, we have close to no internal storage, but live with it. Or get a different phone. If you really cared about having the best phone around, you wouldn't be under a contract with a regional carrier.

mightyjackstar
What's DOS?
Message 82 of 239

asshole294, err, I mean alx294...who are you?!  You seem to be taking this kind of personally, almost like you have a vested interest in what happens to this phone.  Do you work for CinnBell and your afraid of the future of this phone?  Or maybe you're just a schmuck like the rest of us and you see nothing good in the future as well.

As for why I need Flash, not that it is any of your fing business, but I work for a web hosting company and we look at mobile and desktop websitres that include Flash elements.  So perhaps you could use your puny little mind to see how that might be of use to me, jackass.

The still and video cameras are fair, but NOT great.  I wear bifocals and my eyes are getting old but even I can tell that this is NOT the best camera on a phone.  And the Xenon flash on a bad camera won't make the camera better.

As for "blaming Motorola for one single device", yeah, I will, because it is the device I purchased under the false belief that it would be upgraded.  I expect corporations to follow through.  I happen to think that is what is wrong with America, too many people, and businesses that cannot accept responsibility for their obligations.

So, asshole, since my complaint is with Motorola and I don't know you from Adam, I  am going to politely ask you to back off.  Everyone has the right to comment in this room until the forum admin puts an end to it.  And Mark has been very quiet so far.

mightyjackstar
What's DOS?
Message 83 of 239

And really alX294 have you checked Motorola's own website: https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/manager/softwareupgrades  It specifically says XT720 will remain on 2.1.  So you are either stupid, in denial, or illiterate.

cincyfan1
What's DOS?
Message 84 of 239

@mightyjackstar:

Ahem. As has been discussed ad nauseum, that list says XT720 in Europe/Africa/Middle East and Canada will remain on 2.1. The MOTOROI (which is almost identical to the XT720) is scheduled to get 2.2 in Q4 this year. More importantly that list says nothing about the US market or what Cincinnati Bell's contract with Motorola may or may not include. Even Mark hasn't been able to get an answer about the status of the US phones. Cincy Bell supposedly is testing 2.2. Lurk moar.

cdrom1028
What's DOS?
Message 85 of 239

@mightyjackstar

first off dude why do you think ranting on the forum will get results?

second, the folks at Moto have more going on than just running the bussiness, all of our interests will be delayed so relax!

Motorola split wraps up on January 4th

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/30/motorola-split-wraps-up-on-january-4th/

goleaf
What's DOS?
Message 86 of 239

Would the word you are looking for be "doormat"?  because that is what you advocate.

Common sense will also tell you Moto will do nothing unless publicly humiliated

(corporations always react too late in situations where they could have avoided bad press).

I have no intention of selling this phone ever, it is now destined to make Youtube history.

alX294
What's DOS?
Message 87 of 239

@mightyjackstar, you're right and wrong at the same time, yes your right about us being able to post on the forums, but its not a right. Read the rules "doormat". Also, you may want to get your lenses checked, because you're obviously the one who can't read. If I'm correct, and I'm 100% sure that I am, the two letters U and S, when used in conjunction, stand for United States. We do not live in Europe, or the Middle East, or Africa, or with the exception of Goleaf, who shouldn't even be in this thread because of this, Canada, we do not know about any update, yet. Sucks for you guys in those countries, The Motoroi, which IS the XT720, just Korean, is getting Froyo. The US, which just to remind you again, is United States, versions of the DEXT (Cliq), Milestone (Droid), Quench (Cliq XT), and even the worthless Backflip (Motus) all got Eclair, while the other country variants did not. Why? BECAUSE OF THE CARRIERS. Motorola literally has nothing to do with the XT720 getting froyo, becase Cincinnati Bell has the 'key' to the bootloader. Android is open source. The Behold 2 on Cincinnati Bell doesn't have touchwiz, why? Because they didn't want it. Even the Blaze has country variants, its the only one in ANY country to have Eclair, and to answer your question, I'm not taking this personally, and I don't work for Cincinnati Bell, I'm just sick of ignorant "doormats" who think that mommy is gonna give them a bottle if they cry long enough. There is nothing you can do, so deal with it.

dannywii
What's DOS?
Message 88 of 239

Nah they just want wait till more people bought the phone before announcement of "Will remain on 2.1", why?

1. So they can sell more phone and make money

2. Less negative pressure from public, as they already have enough

3. Cut costs from upgrade team

US people please don't fall into MOTO trick, this is what they did with Euro XT720, they just don't say a word and wait for four month till there is a new phone on the market to attract people's focus. Since US XT720 is released later than Euro XT720 so very likely after 2 month you will get your "Will remain on 2.1".

Plus based on the upgrade list, only phones with MOTOBLUR are getting upgrade, why is that?

So any service provider refuse to have their phone locked in MOTOBLUR will get no upgrade?

cincyfan1
What's DOS?
Message 89 of 239

"The Motoroi, which IS the XT720, just Korean"

I think there are some subtle differences, though. My understanding is that the Motoroi has a TV tuner. I doubt that will prevent us from taking that ROM, though.

"Cincinnati Bell has the 'key' to the bootloader"

I very, very much doubt that, but would love to be proved wrong. Motorola has the signing keys.

rcatkinson
What's DOS?
Message 90 of 239