Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cindika2
What's DOS?
Views: 255
Message 1 of 6

List of problems, help please...

Hi All,

I've been scouring the web trying to look for answers for some of my Milestone XT720's problems but I cant seem to find any.  Maybe you guys can help me?  Here's a list of problems...

1. How do you turn off the internet?  My mobile carrier keeps on charging me for data connection that I don't intend to use.  I've read somewhere that I'm supposed to turn off auto sync to my accounts and not open my browser, but they're still charging me.  It's also so hard not to make the mistake of clicking on the "Search" botton when its the first thing in my homescreen.
  2. Missing contacts.  Funny thing, my friend sends me an sms and the phone displays her name.  Ok, so its done.  Then naturally i would delete that message when I've replied and read it.  When I'm about to send her a message, her contact is NO WHERE to be found in my Contacts List!  Huh!?!?  What happened, right?  I searched thru my sim contacts, phone contacts, but i cant seem to find her number.  What's wrong with this phone!?!?
  3. I can't seem to send sms to a certain person.  I don't know why, but I can't seem to be able to send sms to a certain person.  Its always message sending fail when I try to reply to her and this happens ONLY TO ONE NUMBER.  The only time I can do so is if I delete the message thread, retype it or cut and paste it, then send it.  This is not a minor thing because this person happens to be a business partner of mine and she's really pissed with my "not replying" when in fact i've already replied to her message.  As it turns out, this phone doesn't want to send it to her.  Only to her.  When i try to reply or send anyone else there's no problems.
  4. I have not been receiving important SMS.  I've argued with my mobile carrier, I've checked my phone if I have a signal, and everything seems to be in order.  Only I've had complaints from friends, family and clients who tell me that they've been sending or replying to my sms, but I don't receive them!  This incident not only happened once but many many times already and it is really maddening.
  5. My phone keeps on hanging when i use certain Apps.  My gosh, this is a big embarrassment, especially for an expensive smartphone such as this.  It hangs sometimes when i use my camera, it hangs when I play Angry Birds, etc.  Ugh.   

Motorola managers, tech and service guys, and whoever is out there, kindly shed some light on my phone's problems.  I've always loved Motorola products, this is a big feat especially when I come from a country where Nokia holds at least 85% market share.  I want to continue using your products, but I cant if its destroying my personal and work life.  Thank you.

teh3rdstring
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 6

Re: List of problems, help please...

I don't know about your contacts / sms issues bu to turn off mobile data the path is Settings >> Wireless & Networks >> Mobile Networks. There is a check box to turn off data.

HTH

cindika2
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 6

Hi teh3rdstring,

Thank you for your feedback.  However, I found another site that gave 4 useful methods on how to turn it off.  The checkbox for data connection in my phone cannot be disabled.  Weird, right?  Anyways, here's the site I mentioned that gave useful tips.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/04/30/how-to-turn-off-and-disable-mobile-data-connection-2ggprsed...

I simply put in a fake name in my APN and checked the Android Core if it was already off.  Indeed, it worked

Thanks anyway.

steveh1
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 6

Finally! Someone with issues similar to my own!

I cannot vouch for issues 1 and 2.  however

3. Certain people do not receive my texts AND/OR receive them very late

--> I've had one person who did not receive two of my texts despite sitting in the same car and watching me enter the phone number

--> I have one person who regularly does not receive my texts (though many texts do go through, let's say ~20% failure rate, maybe less)

--> And I have one person who regularly receives my texts 10-20 minutes after I send (again, not every time, but often enough that I cannot trust it)

4. This happens less than issue #3, but _sometimes_ I miss texts from _some_ people (usually people in the same camp as #3.

5. This phone kills apps like it's no-ones business, and hangs, and ... and.... 

--> Specifically, if the icon goes to "3g" instead of "H", almost no data consuming apps will work (facebook, youtube, gmail).  I even get the "no network connection" error message for those apps

--> Rotating the phone 90 degrees often serves as a "kick" to the phone, something about it changing from portrait to landscape and back wakes it up?

Do you happen to be on WIND (in Canada)

cindika2
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 6

Hey Steveh,

Good to know that I'm not alone with these issues!   I suppose out of a thousand who have the same phone model, at least one person in the world would notice the same problems that I've been encountering.  Nope, I'm not on WIND in Canada, I've actually plugged in 3 of my mobile sims just to see which one can best respond to this phone.  It now houses the sim that i use the least lest I lose any more friends or valuable business with all the problems it has brought me.  I bought this Motorola XT720 impulsively in the Dubai Airport during a boring 6hr stopover going to Turkey... and now I'm semi-regretting it.  The only thing that's saving it from the dumpster is: 1. Fun and free Android Apps  2. Nice camera (Thank God I haven't experienced other people's problems, yet.) and 3. Strong wifi signal and fast touch response time. 

For issue #3, I've read somewhere that you have to change your friend's phone label to "mobile" instead of "home".  For some reason phone number label is a big issue for our phone, that's why the phone seems to have a mind of its own and will refuse to send to a non-mobile phone number even if its really a mobile number.  I've so far changed everyone's number label to mobile and it worked for me.   Funny how some contacts when transferred from other phones (my previous was a Sony Ericson) was labeled as "Home" instead of a standard "Mobile". 

I'll try your tip for issue #5 and get back to you if it works   Thanks!

msdunkel
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 6

Cindika 2, thanks for this post.  Most of the "how do I turn off data" messages work on pure Android phones, but Motorola effed around with theirs JUST enough to make the most common solutions unusable.  You'd almsot think they were getting a cut of all the stupid data we've been using without even knowing...

Regardless, I found this post on a google search and wanted to give it a bump since it was so helpful.  I had to go with option 4, the fake APN to turn off the data on my wife's phone.

☆☆☆Link removed. Please review the house rules on posting appropriately.☆☆☆

Don’t do crimes, hack or otherwise color outside the lines.

Piracy, device hacking, unauthorized unlocking and posting of illegal content is forbidden. This includes: the posting or recommendation of the use of "hidden menus" and commands not generally accessible through a phone's main menus; unauthorized redistribution of Motorola software; links to and excessive discussion of any non-standard software loads for locked devices; and any discussion, links or instruction for updating Motorola device software other than those sanctioned by Motorola or in the areas designated for that activity. We will remove links to hacking instructions and excessive discussion of hacking locked devices, as it is a practice we can't support and don't encourage. We judge what is excessive. Any discussions of non-Motorola software for unlocked devices must remain in the areas created for those discussions, and all other site rules apply in those areas. Please note that a device running a non-approved software load will be recognized as non-standard and will not receive future over-the-air software updates.

Message was edited by: ѕзгνвοτ χ