Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
bigred2431
What's DOS?
Views: 95
Message 1 of 3

My Milestone is freaking out!

I bought a Milstone a few months ago.  It has been working fine even though being dropped when all of a sudden about a month ago it started freaking out.What i mean by this is that it will be randomly selecting apps to open, flipping through menus, and typing random letters and numbers when the messaging apps were open.  This was not a big problem before because it would do this for about 5 min to an hour and then go back to normal.  Now it has gotten severly worse and wont respond to me using the touch screen(open or closed) or when using the D-pad.  It has become incredibly infuriating and is one of the reasons i did not want to get a smart phone, because now it has a mind of its own!  I have tried to start the phone in safe mode but the problems still persist.  I now plan on resorting to a facotry reset to attempt to solve this but i have one concern, will the phone go back to being locked after i do the factory reset? I am not sure if it is factory unlocked or not nor am i sure what country it originally came from.  I do know that it uses a European plug which i have an adapter for.

alX294
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 3

Re: My Milestone is freaking out!

Alright I'm gonna try my best to help you out here, and ill explain every possibility, no matter how ridiculous. Ill get the most ridiculous one out of the way first, your phone could be under remote control, this is the most ridiculous because someone would need to know tons about your phone and other things that i wont get into.

Possibility 2, There is a bug in your firmware. This may be solved by a factory reset, or if you havent already, updating to froyo.

Possibility 3, the touch panel is broken, not many people know this, but your not touching the actual screen, its an overlay, the lcd under it only responds to what the panel tell it to do. A factory reset will NOT fix this. This could also prevent the D-pad from working because the phone reacts to whichever action is done first, if it thinks somethings always touching the screen, its going to move with it.

Out of all of these though, its most likely possibility 2, unless you have all your apps on the homescreen where they are easily accessed, then it could be possibility 3. Updating or reseting the firmware will not relock your phone, because the milestone comes unlocked, and motorola does not include a basband update with there firmware. If it is 3 though, then you need a new touch panel. Find it on ebay, take it to someone who knows what there doing. Hope I helped.

But next time post in the forum that is meant for your phone, this is the milestone XT720 US community. Also, no one is going to respond to you if the title is "My Milestone is freaking out!" be specific, I was feeling generous today.

bigred2431
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 3

Re: My Milestone is freaking out!

I reset the phone and that cured about 98% of the problems so HUGE! relief. But it seems that it was a combination of 2 and 3. i have noticed a hairline crack next to the back button on the bottom of the touch panel. It is "numb" in some areas mainly right across the midle which i now a problem if the screen goes to the main unlock screen because yo cannot slide the unlock across the screen making the phone inaccessible. I have now just set the sleep timer at 30 min because chances are that I will use it in a 30 min time frame.  The rest of phone is completely functioning outside of the numb points. Im hoping that ordering a new touch panel will work. Do you know of anyway to bypass the lock screen by using the keyboard or another method without touching the screen?

p.s. - thank you for your generosity lol