cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hixatchi
What's DOS?
Views: 100
Message 1 of 7

Sony Xperia X10 is getting Gingerbread (2.3.3) officially, what is Motorola doing about it?

Sony is officially bringing out Gingerbread (2.3.3) to an older phone such as the Xperia X10.  What is Motorola doing about it to bring Froyo/Gingerbread to older phones such as the Milestone or XT720 series phones?  If they can do it why can't you?  Please discuss.

Link Provided:

http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/

hixatchi
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 7

Re: Sony Xperia X10 is getting Gingerbread (2.3.3) officially, what is Motorola doing about it?

Actions speak louder then words as far as I can see, Motorolas policy is once you buy a phone (its a standalone brick, no upgrades will be provided) only updates, which I once reiterate to a SMARTPHONE user is the same thing. Look at the iphone 3g its gone through iphone iOS 2, 3, 4 up to 4.1 before UPGRADES wait i mean updates stopped. Look at Windows Phone 7 which was slow but is still getting UPGRADES like copy and paste, improved multitasking, improved speed at launching apps etc. Look at RIM who has released OS 6 to older phones like the bold, curve, and pearl. Now where is Android/Motorola? Nothing but a fragmented mess of an OS/Ecosystem, even Google had to create a fragment framework so that apps would work on older and newer OS's as Phone Manufacturers (Motorola) and Carriers are so slow or reluctant to release updates for Android.... I'm done with Android (XT720 user), good luck Motorola not selling other phones with OS (your 1 OS policy and your control on bootloader/firmware) will ultimate ultimately cause you guys to go down with your ship, good luck and what will you do with your hubris then hmm?

servbotx
Bit Torrent
Message 3 of 7

Re: Sony Xperia X10 is getting Gingerbread (2.3.3) officially, what is Motorola doing about it?

The plain and simple answer is: If the carrier does not pay to have the phone upgraded, it stays on the current version. Take it up with Wind Mobile.

The schedule for updates can be found here.

pajo
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 7

hmmmm intereseting

so, phones which are sold unlocked willl never be updated, because nobody pays for theirs updates?

what about bug updates? does carriers need to pay motorola for them to, or customers have to pay AGAIN for that? I simply don't understand...

thread about xt720 bugs has been started 3 months ago, and we didn't get any official response to that (except that feedback is sent to the software team)

please try to understand xt customers; we have bought phone a 5-6 months ago (for a lot of money), have been told that our phones will stay on 2.1...and not a single response for future software update (not upgrade) hasn't been  stated

and I hope that you understand why I have to say that "this is my last moto"..but how you threat your customers, they will threat you at the same way...

hixatchi
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 7

I don't think that makes any sense that a carrier has to pay for an update for a phone to get updated?  Shouldn't Motorola be supporting their product (by them taking initiative not the carrier), and work on a update, and then they tell the carrier to release the update? 

Motorola is totally trying not to take the blame here and place the blame on the Carrier!  The phone should FIRST be supported by Motorola as its their product.  Then if the carrier does not release the update then its their fault, Motorola is not doing their due diligence to support the product or make things easy for the customer. 

Please explain why a carrier has to pay for the update. 

servbotx
Bit Torrent
Message 6 of 7

Motorola continues to provide support through software updates, but software

upgrades are provided by the carrier.

It's the same for all Android phones (Except Nexus phones, where the

software is provided by Google)

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 10:51 AM, hixatchi <

pajo
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 7

oh yes....we all can see how motorola provides support through updates