Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
d23wilson
What's DOS?
Views: 195
Message 1 of 10

XT720 to get speed of 720mhz, RAM to 512 MB and Froyo

i have been in contact with motorola people, and they have suggested that end of august an update was going to be rolled out for the XT720 to get a processor speed update to 720mhz. i read somewhere else that this would be a kernel update, which would also allow 512mb of RAM, rather than the current 256mb RAM.....i want to know the status of this update...as its getting near the middle of Sep and have not seen any update, and had no further response from motorola staff for any subsequent emails about the topic.

Also, am hoping for XT720 to get android 2.2....its differnt all around the world and for different carriers....but for me, my concern is me i bought an xt720 from expansys in the UK (i live in australia), and it was shipped to me direct from hong kong....soooo...what country version do i have? and i am quite sure my carrier is not a restriction here, cos i dont belong to a country which supposedly "has" the xt720.

Ultimately, i bought this phone because of the camera...xenon flash high picel count and supposedly good with poor light. i bought it because i could not wait for the nokia N8, and also wanted android because of certain seemless functions. to say i am disappointed would be understating it...the camera takes about 5 seconds to snap the shot after pressing the button. And the video footage is jerky under any condition...especially when you move it a lot. I am hoping the processor speeds and froyo help with all this.

bu3askoor
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 10

Re: XT720 to get speed of 720mhz, RAM to 512 MB and Froyo

i am also very disappointed with this phone performance and have the same concerns as the original poster.  All droid phones getting the attention except for this one.  I hope a new update rolls out soon to address the current issues.

Buying this phone made me feel like a samsung user few years back when the marketing campaings at high gear with every phone release, and then ...  ZERO support.

Please motorla do not go down the route !!

chaud
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 10

Hope wat u say are truth.Motorola,pls update milestone XT720 to get speed of 720mhz, RAM to 512 MB and Froyo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

servbotx
Bit Torrent
Message 4 of 10

While the processor speed is a sound theory (The XT720 got its name from the 720mhz processor), what information do you have supporting your claim about the extra memory? The only way for this to be possible is if Motorola installed an extra 256MB of RAM and locked it away as well and I have not heard or seen any information that this was done or that this had ever been done before in the past.

I am fairly sure the camera lag is partially due to the processor speed and the auto-focus. On my Cliq XT the camera does the exact same thing, even if you're in perfect focus when you try to take the shot.

As for your carrier restriction, the download is typically available from the network itself or online with the phone plugged in, but also from the carriers website.

So if you are not using a carrier which supports this phone, you may not receive any updates.

d23wilson
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 10

from what i have read, the hardware is already there to cater 512mb RAM, hence the contrasting tech specs for models around the world. Its the kernel that can cater specific amountst of RAM. The kernel restrictions is what is preventing the 512mb at the moment. The 720 reference again is just marketing...the processor can get to speeds of 1.2ghz...i know, i have done it...i rooted the phone, out of frustration, but really want the real deal from motorola, that way its is all integrated and quality tested rather than use a hacked version of something running on my phone.

its not always a hardware issue...sometimes the hardware is there, just that the software is not up to date. Again, the 720 update is specifically been told to me by motorola staff...the RAM increase is talk around the forums, of which i hope is true, and do not discount because it is not always a hardware issue. and froyo is something that i have also read on the forums "mark" seems to have given a lot of hope to milestone xt720 owners in some posts by mentioning that he has said to a motorola dept i ncharge of the announcements to include the xt720 on their handset annoucements page.

froyo offers camera speeds up to 5 times faster of what is currently available...so i dont believe auto focus etc are something to feel satisfied with for camera shutter delay.

servbotx
Bit Torrent
Message 6 of 10

I haven't seen anything that would leave me to believe there was "idle" memory in the device, but it would be neat if there were and it could be activated at a later date. I have asked around and from what I have heard, there is 256MB of RAM in the device and this kernel update that could release extra memory is unfounded. There are conflicting specs on the internet due to the fact that different carriers get different versions of the same device. The version of the XT720 would be different on Vodafone in Australia than say Orange in the UK. They would have the same model number, but not all devices are made identical for every market.

As for the camera issue, the speed would be increased since the Android 2.2 itself runs ~400% faster than Android 2.1. The shutter lag on the camera is significantly higher on a camera with auto-focus than a device with a fixed lens.

Android 2.2 would be a welcome addition to any Android phone, let's hope that all of these phones receive upgrades.

Can you confirm the processor in which your phone is currently using? 1.2 Ghz is dangerous for any of the known chipsets in these phones...

What I ment by the 720mhz speed is that is the native speed of the processor. (ARMv8/TI)

d23wilson
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 10

yeah...i forgot to mention that when running at that speed (1.2ghz) the temperature was up to 45 degrees..so i quickly returned it to run at 800mhz..it sits there quite nicely at around 30 degrees...all depending on usage, room temperature and how i am holding it/strangling it. But then again...i think if it can run at that speed, and the environment is proprerly  catered to allow those speeds under certain conditions, then let it go...then apply the brakes to allow it to cool down...that is why i want the real motorola quality tested version of any processor speed increases. dont ge me wrong, i like the hacks...but sometimes you got to look at it for what they are...DIY handyman solutions to over come...sometimes handymen do a better job than a professional...but sometimes they dont and can be dangerous.

well...i only hope you are wrong about the RAM...only cos i hope it to be true (a kernel update releases more) and we get a nice surprise..but it is after-all forum discussion..so only sheer speculation at best.

but in all honesty the RAM thing does not bother me too much as i am not sure it will solve my issues with the phone. Overall, with android 2.1 compared to 1.5 (what i last had) i find that the RAM is never getting near a low state which affects a programs ability to run.

My issues are with the photo gallery...sometimes it takes so long to load, sometimes it just gets stuck and is unresponsive, and i have waited minutes...but it is consistent when it hits this state that the only solution is to take the battery out and start again....in my hopeful state, i am hoping that any photo gallery issues, camera delays, and especially video recording shuddering and pauses are caused by RAM which could be resolved (via this dream extra RAM). but i got no idea as to the internal workings of those applications and what pice of the jigsaw causes those issues...is it hardware at teh  camera level..is it hardware at processor level, is it hardware at memory level...is it operating system related, or is it camera software related...i am sure everyone would have reasons...but me, i want all these areas to be happy and work fast, cos that makes me happy.

Anyways...i think i am dreaming...i am starting to think i learnt my lesson by only reading internet reviews and marketing write ups, and this point forward i will always wait to test a show room model. i probably get that nokia n8...sacrifice a few things that android offers, so i can get a great camera phone.

servbotx
Bit Torrent
Message 8 of 10

It would be nice if it's possible, but it's highly unlikely.

It doesn't hurt to dream though.

dukel
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 10

Well the N. American models appear to be clocked at 720mhz out the gate and the UK model has already received the upgrade tom 720mhz. I think the singapore version already got the update too correct me if I'm wrong. As far as the extra ram, that is most likely just wishful thinking lol.

allgamer
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 10

just an update

Froyo 2.2 has been out for a while for the XT720 at XDA

just google for XDA XT720 2.2

as easy as 1 2 3

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=XDA+2.2+XT720