Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA MOTOACTV™
All Forum Topics
Options

70 Posts

02-03-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 10

Rain during 1/2Marathon Killed My MOTOACTV

2012-10-08, 18:37 PM

A week ago I ran a 1/2Marathon and at the 8mile mark my motoactv screen went black. I was very frustrated since

1.) I made sure that both openings(USB and headphone) were securly plugged and 2.) No one seems to be supporting this anymore and 3.) It's water damage, so Even if anyone still was support this device I would be out of luck! 

I've learned my lesson. sad

Options

26 Posts

08-05-2012

Canada

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 10

Re: Rain during 1/2Marathon Killed My MOTOACTV

2012-10-09, 0:01 AM

Hi! 

It may sound weird but since I know that those MOTOACTV can damage with water, I put a Sarhan Wrap while I'll run with rain. Yeah, sorry to hear that RunnerGirlG. Not so funny to loose a nice watch. I very like  it here... 

JmCourir

Options

170 Posts

12-06-2014

Vancouver

4 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 3 of 10

2012-10-09, 3:57 AM

What do you think you will move on to since it appears the motoactv is dead. (Not just yours!)  Garmin + mp3 player?  or iphone + hr.  I would much prefer an Android but it appears that there are some issues with the Bluetooth Low Energy.  But the Moto razr is supposed to support this.  

Options

17 Posts

01-16-2012

United States

1 Signins

2 Page Views

• Views: 2
  • Message 4 of 10

2012-10-09, 15:52 PM

I live in South FL and have been running soaked in sweat for the last 4 months.  I have noticed that if sweat drips off the Motoactv, it will lock up, but it recovers later.  I haven't been brave enough to wear it under the rain and have to do very careful planning to keep it as dry as possible (clip it to my visor, wrap bandanas under the wristband, ziploc bags, etc).  If there is recurring minor sweat entry, in the long run it will corrode something.

Unfortunately the audio connector (and maybe the micro-USB) is a death sentence for eventual water damage.  

Options

70 Posts

02-03-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2012-10-09, 16:29 PM

@JmCourir and @LateStarter I wish I would have wrapped it for the race. I'm super bummed that it is gone. My guess is the water got in through the USB port (even though I double & triple checked it was closed). sad  You guys keep wrapping it!!! 

@Boyd.K as of right now I have gone back to using my Nike+ app on my iphone. I really hate wearing the fanny pack...uugghh! 

I kept hoping they hadn't abandoned the product and would introduce a waterproof version...but that was a pipe dream. So now I start the search for a new GPS watch. Any suggestions?

Options

72 Posts

01-25-2012

Portugal

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2012-10-10, 20:27 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss, Runnergirl :( I sweat loads when running, but fortunately haven't had any water damage ... yet. ALthough I've noticed a discolouration on the screen this last week or so, bit worried about that...!

You'd think there'd be more choice by now - I can't understand why there aren't more tracker/mp3 player hybrids on the market. If you don't need music to run, fair enough, but for those of us who do need it (and I'm sure there are enough of us to warrent a niche in the market!) there is a woeful lack of any sort of efficient equipment - it's either the Motoactv, or two or three different pieces of equipment, which is silly. Let's go knocking on Garmin's door and tell them we want one of their lovely forerunner thingummyjiggies with a bit of something to give us a boost! :D

Options

130 Posts

01-18-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2012-10-11, 0:39 AM

I live in Mexico run about 50 miles a week and sweat buckets.  I've also run for over 2 hours in torrential rain I've had my Motoactv for 10 months without a water issue (apart from the headphones, which died the first week!)  If I did have a problem I'd ask Motoactv to replace it as they marketed this device as rain and sweat proof.  There was even a video on Youtube uploaded by Motorola which showed it's water resitant capabilities.  Can't find it now maybe they removed it!

edit here it is:

Options

170 Posts

12-06-2014

Vancouver

4 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 8 of 10

2012-10-11, 6:45 AM

RunnerGirlG said:

@JmCourir and @LateStarter I wish I would have wrapped it for the race. I'm super bummed that it is gone. My guess is the water got in through the USB port (even though I double & triple checked it was closed). sad  You guys keep wrapping it!!! 

@Boyd.K as of right now I have gone back to using my Nike+ app on my iphone. I really hate wearing the fanny pack...uugghh! 

I kept hoping they hadn't abandoned the product and would introduce a waterproof version...but that was a pipe dream. So now I start the search for a new GPS watch. Any suggestions?

I'm still doing a lot of research.  For me its not only the device i'm concerned with, its the portal.  For testing I now have accounts on strava, endomondo, runkeeper and sportstracker.  At least moto is allowing us to export the data.  I have data going back since the motoactv was released, as I was among the first to get it.  Anyways strava looks nice, and has a very cool competition feature over 'segments', but you pay extra for hr data analysis.  Runkeeper allows you to export the data as well which is a BIG plus in my opinion.  I never liked that moto and some others keep your data hostage, once you get it uploaded.

That said, for running, I'll either get a Garmin watch and use my Sansa clip for mp3, or:  Tomorrow Samsung is to release a Galaxy S3 *mini*.  If its small enough, to fit in the small zip pocket of my running shorts, and if it supports Bluetooth Low Energy  (ble or smart), I may just consider that as an alternative.  The BLE would connect to a hr monitor and cadence sensor, and it would have an mp3 player.  Bigger than the motoactv but mabye a good substitute. And I could then choose the appropriate app from strava, runkeeper etc.  I wouldn't even get a data plan.  Just use the wifi on the phone to upload my data.  Depends also if the price is not too high.

But then again, just maybe moto will announce that they will sell the device to someone who will continue to develop it!  I would be a buyer!

View original

Options

74 Posts

01-11-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2012-10-11, 17:28 PM

RunnerGirl- I suggest one of the Garmin or Polar unit.  I forget the model IDs but Garmin makes several units in the price range of the Motoactv.  If you are very serous about your training they make units that can answer all your needs.   Both companies have been in the fitness market many years, and have reliable software portals.  I own a Polar RCX5 and a Garmin 310.  Both are excellent, well supported and good customer service.

I still have my Moto and wear it often.  I enjoy its rich display and data pages, you just have to take it for what it is.  It had a lot of good ideas, but alas the hardware could never be worked out.   I mean to have a fitness watch that is this sensitive to water just makes no sense.

Options

9 Posts

08-02-2012

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2012-11-05, 3:04 AM

Well mine got some rain on it this weekend.. It's completely dead. Not even 4months old. 

Ive looked at motorolas warranty statements and looks like a huge fight on my hands, I'm bitterly Disappointed with the lack of quality, and clearly the issue for me was the volume up button , not something difficult to protect like the micro USB port. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms