Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA MOTOACTV™
All Forum Topics
Options

188 Posts

04-24-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 32

MotoACTV: May we have our data, please?

2012-03-10, 4:59 AM

I'll get right to the point. Since the MotoACTV launch last fall, we have not been able to obtain all the data they collect. The data export files (in .csv format) contain lots of good stuff, but do not include lap markers or pause information. May we have ALL our data, please?

• When autolap triggers, that's a data point stored on the device.

• When I manually set a lap (using device tap or otherwise) that's a data point stored on the device.

• When I pause my run or ride, that's a data point stored on the device.

• When I resume my run or ride, that's a data point stored on the device.

We own these devices. Are we not entitled to the data they collect? I believe we are. There have been many prior requests to include lap and pause markers in data export files. And I am hereby requesting it again. But in addition to that, the attached image shows why this matters. Lap and pause markers complete the data set necessary to do proper analysis using third-party tools like SportTracks, Runkeeper, etc.

I would like to get this request [to include lap and pause markers in the data export files] in front of party at Motorola Mobility who is in a position to make it so or to deny it. Matt or Mark, if you could inform me how to do that either in this thread or via PM, I would appreciate it.

At this time, the portal is having difficulties and owners are getting frustated that they can't get at their data. I feel it's important to have your data from your training devices locally. That's why I use SportTracks to track my training using my Garmin device, my Timex device or my MotoACTV device. But the MotoACTV cannot replace the others because the data I get from it are incomplete. Moreover, the analytic tools on the portal just don't measure up and even if they did I couldn't get my running history onto the portal. Just take a look at the elevation/pace profiles from MotoActv.com and from SportTracks using the same data generated by my MotoACTV during a half-marathon on Sunday March 4. The difference is stark. I can't get any insight from the MotoACTV pace profile while the SportTracks pace profile is very revealing - and they're generated from the same data!

Give us laps and pauses please and we'll be happy campers!

Options

75 Posts

01-14-2012

Spain

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 32

Re: MotoACTV: May we have our data, please?

2012-03-10, 5:30 AM

+1

Options

23 Posts

01-22-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 32

2012-03-10, 5:37 AM
 Very much agree with your request. I'm still wondering if I should switch to a Garmin device as it seems like they are more serious about data reporting and analysis. The Moto Portal just isn't cutting it. The bugs are worrisome, and the analysis tools are very limited. It'd be bearable if I could easily export all of my summary data out to excel.
Options

195 Posts

03-24-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 32

2012-03-10, 5:55 AM

Hello all,

I agree ONE HUNDRED PERCENT. I want my data. I am trying to move over completely to the Motoactv but I can't because the data tools are poor, so I am still using a GARMIN 800 for cycling and the Motoactv.

Also it would be nice of Motorola released the cycling sensor kit!

Thank you,

MTWIZARD

Options

20124 Posts

02-03-2016

United States of America

2589 Signins

65243 Page Views

• Views: 65243
  • Message 5 of 32

2012-03-10, 17:06 PM

We review every thread on this forum and we capture every item. So you will be heard.

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

129 Posts

01-15-2012

United States

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 6 of 32

2012-03-11, 15:47 PM
In addition, please allow us a way to export our data directly from our devices. As the last few days have clearly shown, without portal access the motoactv is severely crippled.
Options

23 Posts

01-22-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 32

2012-03-13, 5:36 AM

Matt (Forums Manager) said:

We review every thread on this forum and we capture every item. So you will be heard.

Matt, I very much appreciate your acknowledgement of this request, and I understand you can't make promises or give away too much about Moto's plans for future features of the training portal. However, it would be very helpful to get even a bit of insight into how the team at Moto sees this. For example, can you at least tell us if, generally speaking, the current capabilities of the training portal are seen as meeting the needs of the target customer groups? Or, should we consider the training portal a version 1.0 product that Moto has plans to actively improve upon in the areas noted above (and expressed elsewhere on these forums)?

I guess what I'm wondering is, if the current version of the training portal doesn't meet our needs for data analysis, is there any reason we should stick around and expect it get much better? No value judgement or hard feelings here, I just want to know if our needs for additional data reporting tools, and support for exporting our data, just aren't matching up with the specifications that Moto is designing to.

Options

14 Posts

03-09-2012

United States

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 8 of 32

2012-03-13, 10:22 AM

+1

I really want to like this device...love the wifi, design, etc. But what you can do with it so far seems very limited - and those limitation are in the software, not the hardware (or so it seems).

I'd be interested to know how many developers are actually working on this project...because depending on that, we might not see some of the functionality Garmin offers for quite some time to come...

Bernie

Options

95 Posts

11-08-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 32

2012-03-13, 13:34 PM

Also, PLEASE Use a .FIT file (ANT+ standard) or something non-proprietary instead of generic .csv for export. Please make this a top priority for a release ASAP and you'll make a ton of existing users a lot happier and welcome a bunch of new customers too!  

Motoactv w/ a proper data export would alleviate the numbers of complaints about the portal.  The portal is great, but too basic for advanced athletes.  Here we have this awesome device that does it all, and collects data using an industry standard protocol ANT+, but can't get to the all of the raw data.  Frustrating!  

Options

12 Posts

05-20-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 32

2012-05-20, 23:48 PM

+1

I was sold the MOTOACTV yesterday at the Pasadena Marathon Expo and I specifically asked if you can export the workout data in GPX format and was told YES. However I'm very disapointed to findout that there is no option to export the data other than CSV.  I am seriously considering to send this product back because of this, I need to be able to export my data so I can log my miles and route on dailymile.com and also add to my Google Maps. 

If there will be an update in the near future (30 days) that provides this then I might consider hanging on to this.  

A device like this should support industry standard export formats including GPX and FIT along with any others that are popular.  Dailymile accepts GPX files which is a big plus for me. Until this is available I have to continue using my Nexus One phone.

Please let us know if this will be an option, thanks.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms