Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA MOTOACTV™
All Forum Topics
Options

37 Posts

04-13-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 6

MotoActv Discontinued. What's a Good Replacement?

2014-01-09, 20:26 PM

I have had the MotoActv for a long time. I lost it somewhere in my house during the winter and was tempted to buy another one (giving the other one to my wife when we could actually find it). Anyway, I see it's been discontinued and no hope in sight for the future of the device under Google. Lame.

So, what would be a good replacement for this? I want something that is an mp3 player, and fitness tracker (GPS is a huge plus). I've scoured the net and I can't seem to find anything like this. Which blows my mind why they'd want to discontinue it. But there has to be something out there.

What would you guys recommend for a device that comes close? I want to limit the crap attached to me, so I don't want one that does this, another that does that, a watch that needs my phone on my body, etc. Is there anything I can get that's available now and likely not to be discontinued?

Options

42 Posts

01-13-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

Re: MotoActv Discontinued. What's a Good Replacement?

2014-01-10, 14:57 PM

I've looked also, haven't found anything close. Since the discontinued part doesn't really bother me, I recently got a 2nd Motoactv, $135 new on Amazon. At that price there really is nothing else with these features. 

Most of the new so-called smartwatches and even dedicated fitness gadgets either need a phone, or don't have a gps, or can't play music, or some other missing thing. The not-yet-available device from wearit.net looks very promising, but the best-guess pricing I saw for it was around $400.

Hope you find something that meets your needs; good hunting!

Options

170 Posts

12-06-2014

Vancouver

4 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 3 of 6

2014-01-11, 18:38 PM

Agreed!   The next best thing right now could be the Adidas Smart Run:

http://micoach.adidas.com/com/smartrun

But I don't know how smart it is at $400.00.  On top of that it is very proprietary and will lock your data in to the Adidas portal.  Will these companies ever learn??????

My motoactv is still working but giving me some problems.  I still use it, but I'm not confident in the device now, and neither with the export feature on the portal.  The portal is on life support now; I don't want to leave my data there and its a pain and inaccurate at exporting data.  There's no sense now in working with dead-end hardware/software.

My current next  best (better?) thing is a Moto G smart phone.  (Android 4.4 Kitkat) You can pick one up for $150.00 at Koodoo in Canada or $99.00 at Verizon in the US off contract.  Just forget about the data plan and use it Wifi only.  Ok, its a heck of a lot heavier than a Motoactv, but if you install the sportstracking software of your own choice, (I've opted for Runkeeper), then it has most of all of the functionality of the Motoactv, and some that the Motoactv doesn't provide.  I've limited the apps to the bare essentials for my fitness activities:

Runkeeper (Running and Cycling)

Google Music

Fitocracy (Gym)

Starbucks.... (lol)

Jucy (Gym)

Impetus (Inteval counter)

Of course there are all the other stock apps available, but I have just a single screen, removed the phone app itself, and voila, my dedicated fitness device.

Yet another alternative, would be to root the motoactv and install one of the several custom ROM's available, such as the RunkeeperACTV.  Although I'm not convinced that this is by any means a trouble-free solution.  

Boyd

YetAnotherBillC said:

I've looked also, haven't found anything close. Since the discontinued part doesn't really bother me, I recently got a 2nd Motoactv, $135 new on Amazon. At that price there really is nothing else with these features. 

Most of the new so-called smartwatches and even dedicated fitness gadgets either need a phone, or don't have a gps, or can't play music, or some other missing thing. The not-yet-available device from wearit.net looks very promising, but the best-guess pricing I saw for it was around $400.

Hope you find something that meets your needs; good hunting!

View original

Options

34 Posts

01-17-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2014-01-19, 12:50 PM

Honestly, for the price/size/function, there isn't anything out there that even comes close to the MOTOACTV.  There are some promising devices just starting to come onto the market...

http://www.neptunepine.com/

http://www.wearit.net/

Personally, my MA is nearing end of life and I am buying another one.  I know that it is EXACTLY what I need to do what I want.  Until there is something that MAKES me need to have it, I don't see a point to spending twice as much money on something with only half of the functions or twice the size.  I am an avid APPLE consumer, but even the fabled iWatch will be locked into a proprietary OS.  I see it running more like an iPod Nano than an iPod touch.  Now, if I can load apps onto it like RunKeeper or STRAVA...my MOTOACTV will be retired to an honored place in my junk drawer.

Options

1 Posts

12-25-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2014-01-19, 21:36 PM

Has there bee any official word on when/if the MOTOACTV page will be shutdown? When that day comes I will be rooting my device with one of the roms available on the web. Until then I am not going to worry myself with the possibility of bricking such an incredible piece of equipment.

Still APPALLED that Google would not capitalize on such an open market, with an already proven device with a few small improvements.

Options

14 Posts

10-10-2012

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

5 Signins

80 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 80
  • Message 6 of 6

2014-01-25, 10:40 AM

Moto's boss in a recent interview sounded like he'd been given a bit of a dressing down for having so many products and been told to focus on a few and do it well when asked about any future tablets (which is a massive market,lets face it.). I'd love to actually talk to the Googorola bosses and know what's going through there heads. The tech industry has decided that wearables (smartwatches etc.) are the next big thing, Motoactv is still one of the best on the market despite being about 2 years ahead of the curve, why on earth would they not pursue it? It just seems bonkers to me.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms