Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA PHOTON™ Q 4G LTE
All Forum Topics
Options

19 Posts

05-08-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 21 of 69

Re: Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Issues

2013-05-14, 1:33 AM

The other "glaring" problem I find with JB is with the calendar widget.  With ICS the widget was light text on a dark background.  With JB it's black text on a bright white field.  Not as bad as the contacts list but still bad enough that I moved that widget from my second screen to my last screen, so I don't accidently flash it.  The calendar pages themselves have always been white with black text, so I can sort of see where the JB designers were trying to go there, but no single color scheme will ever be right for everyone, every OS I can think of, going back 30+ years, has known that and allowed for personal color settings, so why hasn't the Android team realized that yet?

If anyone finds an app that works under JB, and allows full personal color scheme selection for the contacts list and/or the calendar, please let me know.

Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Views: 2684
  • Message 22 of 69

2013-05-15, 20:50 PM

Bernie said:

eaccents said:

Bernie:

Llama Profiles is one of my favorite apps.  At night, it will set my phone to ringer only (I have elderly relatives, so I always have to be reachable).  When I leave the house, it will turn off the WiFi radio, thereby preventing the radio and the search for WiFi connections from contributing to battery drain.

I saw in the list of actions that you can change screen brightness.  One of the triggers for Llama is time of day, so you could use Llama to turn brightness to the level that works for you in the evenings, and then set it to turn it back to the daytime level in the morning.

Not optimal, but it works :)

View original

The only problem I see with that is what I already mentioned, that turning down the overall brightness to make that screen bearable then makes all the other screens unreadable.  Does that app allow turning down the prightness of just one screen?

For now I've had to resort to going back to jotting addresses in a physical address book and manually entering them in the dial screen (thankfully that still remains a dark background!) when I need to make calls at night.  Far from ideal but it keeps me from getting blinded.

View original

Ah yes, you are right--this won't help then if it is just one app that is glaringly bright.

I am in agreement:  the black backgrounds are much better.  Not only are they not glaringly bright, but by being dark they help with battery life!  (I am a battery miser!)

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Views: 2684
  • Message 23 of 69

2013-05-15, 20:50 PM

Bernie said:

eaccents said:

Bernie said:

eaccents said:

I wonder if clearing your cache partition will help?

wipe cache partition:

1. Power the phone down.

2. Hold the volume up/down and power key down all at the same time until you see the Boot Mode Selection Menu. This should happen within a couple of seconds.

3. Press the volume down key until "Recovery" is highlighted. Press the volume up key to select.

4. Wait until you see a Android on his back.

5. Press the volume up/down key at the same time (You can also press and hold vol down and them press vol up). This should put you into the Android system recovery.

6. Press the volume down key until wipe cache partition is highlighted.

7. Press the power button to select. You will be brought  back to the Android system recovery utility when it is complete.

8. Repeat #6-7 four or five times (probably overkill, but that's what a lot of us do)

9. Press the power button to select "reboot system now". Wait for the phone to boot normally.

View original

Nope.  I clear the cache daily.

View original

Wow.  You go into the Recovery Menu every day?  I thought I was OCD by doing it weekly... :)

View original

Well, no, not from the recovery menu.  But I do run a cache cleaning utility every morning before taking the phone off charge.

View original

Try the Recovery Menu method.  It is a deeper clean :)

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Options

25 Posts

10-06-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 24 of 69

2013-05-20, 15:07 PM

I can’t believe an update with so many bugs got released.  Motorola should be ashamed.  Bugs I’m experiencing:

Voice Commands through Bluetooth no longer work

Shift key behavior is inconsistent (sometimes you press and release for the shift action, sometimes you need to hold it down)

Autocorrect sometimes tries to make corrections even though I have it turned off

Text suggestions sometimes don’t work

The back button icon keeps changing from a back arrow to a down arrow for no apparent reason (I think all the keyboard/text bugs are related to this as they seem to happen together)

Wi-Fi uses a lot of battery when turned off

Volume control when using the speaker is not linear (full volume seems to be the same as it was, but it drops down too fast when adjusting it)

After the backlight automatically dims before turning off it will sometimes go to full bright for a moment

Adding icons to the main screens and moving them around gets buggy at times

The camera seems to have gotten very slow (long noticeable delay when taking a picture)

The only bug from the last ICS release that seems to have been fixed here is that the screen auto-rotate is working correctly now.

I kind of wish I could go back to ICS.  I hope there will be a bug fix release soon.

Options

19 Posts

05-08-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 25 of 69

2013-05-20, 15:50 PM

stet said:

Autocorrect sometimes tries to make corrections even though I have it turned off

Wi-Fi uses a lot of battery when turned off

Volume control when using the speaker is not linear (full volume seems to be the same as it was, but it drops down too fast when adjusting it)

I kind of wish I could go back to ICS.  I hope there will be a bug fix release soon.

View original

So it wasn't my forgetfullness?  Auto-correct actually did make those bad corrections after I dismissed the suggestions?  It hasn't happened a lot, but every now and then I'd look back over a text or tapatalk post and realize that a "correction" I thought I'd dismissed had still ended up in the text.  I just figured it was my fat fingers hitting things wrong or that I only thought I'd dismissed it.  And I too have noticed the volume problem and the battery issues.  Just carrying the phone around in the house, with full bars from my wifi, the phone will often get too hot to comfortably keep in my pocket and will discharge rapidly.  Went from 100% to 48% the other day, in the space of a 2 hour nap, sitting just a few feet from the router but not plugged in to the charger.  And the volume control is no longer an adjustment, now it just seems to be an on/off switch with a long transition time between the two states.

Options

2 Posts

04-11-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 26 of 69

2013-05-20, 16:06 PM

eaccents said:

Goldenfire said:

I have yet a different problem.  It seems that, after an alarm goes off (configured through the 'circles' widget) none of of my notifications work any longer - inbound email, gtalk, or text messages neither play their alert sound nor vibrate, unless I reboot the phone.

The phone rings fine, for phone calls, and subsequent alarms - just nothing else.

View original

Does this happen if you set alarms using the Clock app?

View original

The alarms configured through the Circles widget are apparently configured into the clock app - they're already listed in it, and active, when I go to it.

Options

19 Posts

05-08-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 27 of 69

2013-05-20, 16:14 PM

Goldenfire said:

eaccents said:

Goldenfire said:

I have yet a different problem.  It seems that, after an alarm goes off (configured through the 'circles' widget) none of of my notifications work any longer - inbound email, gtalk, or text messages neither play their alert sound nor vibrate, unless I reboot the phone.

The phone rings fine, for phone calls, and subsequent alarms - just nothing else.

View original

Does this happen if you set alarms using the Clock app?

View original

The alarms configured through the Circles widget are apparently configured into the clock app - they're already listed in it, and active, when I go to it.

View original

I can confirm this as happening on my phone as well.  I set an alarm for 0330 yesterday morning, it went off as scheduled and I dismissed it, and then noticed later in the day that I'd had a number of text messages come in that did not trigger their notification sound.

Options

19 Posts

05-08-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 28 of 69

2013-05-20, 16:45 PM

And screen shots...  How do we do screen shots now?  With ICS I could just hold down the power button and get one.  With JB that reboots the phone.  Same with the power button and volume button combos.

Options

120 Posts

08-29-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 29 of 69

2013-05-20, 18:39 PM

Bernie said:

And screen shots...  How do we do screen shots now?  With ICS I could just hold down the power button and get one.  With JB that reboots the phone.  Same with the power button and volume button combos.

View original

Press the [Power] button and the [Volume Down] button at the same time - release when you hear the shutter sound (if you continue to hold them down you will power cycle your phone). smiley

Options

19 Posts

05-08-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 30 of 69

2013-05-20, 19:15 PM

tomas said:

Bernie said:

View original

Press the [Power] button and the [Volume Down] button at the same time - release when you hear the shutter sound (if you continue to hold them down you will power cycle your phone). smiley

View original

That's how it used to work for me under ICS.  Now, as soon as I do that it power cycles.  No delay, just touch both and "boom" it goes immediately into a power cycle.  And under ICS if I held just the power button it would take a screen shot without power cycling.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms