Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA PHOTON™ Q 4G LTE
All Forum Topics
Options

25 Posts

10-06-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 3

Why?

2013-03-19, 14:25 PM

I’ve had this phone since October and have wondering about a few things which I find to be odd about it.  Now it is my first Android phone so I don’t know if these are issues with Android in general or specific to this phone.  But all of these are things that have me asking “Why?”:

Why doesn’t the main screen auto-rotate with the accelerometers while most of the built in apps/functions (such as phone and text) do?

Why does it sometimes take only 2 hours to fully charge the battery while other times it takes 5 hours?

Why does it usually take hours to go down from full charge to 14%, but only minutes to then go to 4%, and then over a half hour more to go down to 1%?

Why does the act of plugging in the phone instantly jump the battery from 1% to over 15%?

Why does the act of rebooting the phone eat up about 5% of the battery?

Why is the control to reboot the phone the same as taking a screen shot?

Why does the phone make the camera sound (at full volume regardless of volume settings) when you take a screen shot?

Why does the Wi-Fi radio use battery when it is turned off?

Why doesn’t the audio output of the HD Dock have any sort of volume control?

Why does the phone see the HD Dock as just a standard dock?

Why do I get selectable dock types for “Office” and “Bedside” when plugged into a HD Dock but no dock type for watching media through the doc’s HDMI output (which is the HD Dock’s main promoted feature)?

Why can’t I customize the dock menu screens (Office, Bedside, and Vehicle ones) by deleting and/or replacing some of the defaults which I don’t use?

Why do I keep getting a “Select input method” when I already selected “English (US) – Motorola Input” and use the physical keyboard anyway?

Why does the built in AccuWeather widget insist on linking to the mobile version of their website with no option to go to the full desktop one?

Why does inhibiting background data (from a SmartAction rule) stop data for media streaming (TuneIn Radio) when it is the active app?

Why can’t I move and/or install apps to an installed micro-SD card?

Why can’t I remove or at least disable the visual Voicmail app (the one that wants to charge for a subscription after the first month of use)?

Why can’t I remove any of the default apps (such as the default web browser and Chrome) if I don’t use them?

Why does plugging in headphones to the headphone jack disable sound out through the HDMI connection?

Why do I need to keep broadcasting the SSID on my wireless router for my phone to work with it?

Why does the data usage graph for mobile data have to have a warning level?

Why does SmartActions seem to only use rough location tracking (cell towers and Wi-Fi) instead of the GPS for triggering location based rules?

Why is there no direct way to launch the default video player?

Why is so much space on the main screens taken up by the search and voice command icons (neither of which I ever use)?

Why don’t the system menu soft buttons auto-hide for any apps except for the built in picture viewer and video player?

Why is there no way to calibrate the screen auto-brightness which is often too dim?

Why is there no manual/custom white balance setting for the camera to compensate for the terribly show automatic white balance?

Why is there no push email except through Gmail?

Why don’t many video streaming services (TNT, TBS, Cartoon Network, Flixster/UltraViolet, CinemaNow HD) work on this phone even though they are supported by my cable provider (when applicable)?

Why does the first icon on my second menu screen (using the default layout) sometimes get replaced by some other random icon after a reboot?

Why do the icons in a sub menu randomly rearrange themselves if there are over 12 of them?

Options

120 Posts

08-29-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 3

Re: Why?

2013-03-19, 17:33 PM

It would be easier if they were numbered so I could just say something like "I've often wondered the same agout 1, 5, 6, 7, 9... but since they aren't numbered, I'll repeat the oddities and annoyances I also feel need answers or corrections:

• •

Why doesn’t the main screen auto-rotate with the accelerometers while most of the built in apps/functions (such as phone and text) do?

Why does the phone make the camera sound (at full volume regardless of volume settings) when you take a screen shot?

Why do I get selectable dock types for “Office” and “Bedside” when plugged into a HD Dock but no dock type for watching media through the doc’s HDMI output (which is the HD Dock’s main promoted feature)?

Why can’t I customize the dock menu screens (Office, Bedside, and Vehicle ones) by deleting and/or replacing some of the defaults which I don’t use?

Why does the built in AccuWeather widget insist on linking to the mobile version of their website with no option to go to the full desktop one?

Why does inhibiting background data (from a SmartAction rule) stop data for media streaming (TuneIn Radio) when it is the active app?

Why can’t I remove or at least disable the visual Voicmail app (the one that wants to charge for a subscription after the first month of use)?

Why does plugging in headphones to the headphone jack disable sound out through the HDMI connection?

Why do I need to keep broadcasting the SSID on my wireless router for my phone to work with it?

Why don’t the system menu soft buttons auto-hide for any apps except for the built in picture viewer and video player?

Why is there no way to calibrate the screen auto-brightness which is often too dim?

Why is there no manual/custom white balance setting for the camera to compensate for the terribly show automatic white balance?

Why does the first icon on my second menu screen (using the default layout) sometimes get replaced by some other random icon after a reboot?

Why do the icons in a sub menu randomly rearrange themselves if there are over 12 of them?

• •

Is there anyone at Motorola who can stop in here and simply explain why each of these things are as they are, and perhaps get Motorola to look at the ones that are possiblly just oversights or bugs?

Thanks!

Options

6817 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 3

Re: Why?

2013-03-20, 19:24 PM

I’ve had this phone since October and have wondering about a few things which I find to be odd about it.  Now it is my first Android phone so I don’t know if these are issues with Android in general or specific to this phone.  But all of these are things that have me asking “Why?”:

Hello stet and tomas,

It seems like you have some general themes in this list of questions that are many times related, so let's try tackling some of them together.

Why does it sometimes take only 2 hours to fully charge the battery while other times it takes 5 hours?

Why does it usually take hours to go down from full charge to 14%, but only minutes to then go to 4%, and then over a half hour more to go down to 1%?

Why does the act of plugging in the phone instantly jump the battery from 1% to over 15%?

These questions are all related to the battery and how the discharge and recharge rates are affected. Android devices use a system file to constantly calibrate the battery and its remaining charge. When the depletion and charging rates do not appear to match the reported levels, it is possible that the file is not accurate. There are a few Android apps on the Market that are designed to calibrate the battery by deleting & rebuilding the calibration file (WITHOUT root access) and this has helped some forum members. The battery will also deplete quicker sometimes versus others due to apps and system processes that are running in the background. Review the major culprits draining your battery in the settings or try using a utility like "SystemPanel" that constantly tracks what is running on your system and draining the power.

Why do I keep getting a “Select input method” when I already selected “English (US) – Motorola Input” and use the physical keyboard anyway?

Why can’t I move and/or install apps to an installed micro-SD card?

Why does SmartActions seem to only use rough location tracking (cell towers and Wi-Fi) instead of the GPS for triggering location based rules?

Why is there no direct way to launch the default video player?

Why is so much space on the main screens taken up by the search and voice command icons (neither of which I ever use)?

Why is there no push email except through Gmail?

Most of the questions in the collection above are related to the Android OS (in one way or another) and not specific to the Motorola hardware. Some of the functions and limitations you describe (such as not rotating the home screen, SSID requirements, button usage, Dock functions, SmartActions, screen layouts, auto-hide, various options, etc.) are design decisions for this Android OS version and chosen configuration options. My experience has been that there are always customers that like a specific feature and others that dislike it, sometimes making it a challenge to please everyone. However, Google provides an Android development web site where you can register issues and provide feedback on features you wish to see (or don't like). Here is the link to that web site: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/list

Using your Micro SD card to host and run applications depends on how the developer wrote the application. If they allow it to run from another location, you can use utilities like "App to SD" to move the app. If not, then you have to run it from the internal location (most common). You have to remember that Android is an open development platform, so developers are free to author their software the way they want it to function, there is no way for the Android OS or your phone to change that.

Some of the questions you list above are related to Android OS installed "stock" applications or utilities, such as gmail, the camera, stock browser, auto-dimming, etc. These stock applications are provided to give you basic functions with the OS, but there are many more robust applications on the Android Market that you can use instead. Generally, the stock apps cannot be removed, but they will not interfere with other browsers, email applications or third party utilities. For example, I use Dolphin Pad browser to surf the Internet and K-9 email as my email client. If the stock apps don't meet your needs, check out third party apps and install something else.

Taking an action (such as suppressing sound) based on a hardware plug-in or environmental change is usually controlled by the Android OS or third party application sensing a change and taking an action. In your example, it sounds like you may not want the sound suppressed via the HDMI when using headphones, so you may want to suggest adding that Setting option on the Android development web site.

Why can’t I remove any of the default apps (such as the default web browser and Chrome) if I don’t use them?

As I mentioned above, you cannot uninstall stock applications or the freebie apps provided with your Android device, but you can choose not to use them and install something else instead.

Why don’t many video streaming services (TNT, TBS, Cartoon Network, Flixster/UltraViolet, CinemaNow HD) work on this phone even though they are supported by my cable provider (when applicable)?

These three questions are related to specific Android applications or specific sites that stream data. When you experience these types of issues, it is usually best to reply to the app developer and ask whether there are known issues, requirements or compatibility issues that know of. With streaming sites, it depends on what is required to play the content. For example, do you need Flash and is it installed? If not, Flash support for Android was dropped by Adobe last year, so you would have to download and install the Flash APK manually to support Flash sites that stream content. Why does an active app stop streaming when you halt background data? That would likely be the way the app was written to handle multi-tasking (or perhaps it doesn't support it at all), so you would need to contact the developer.

Hopefully this reply helps to provide some clarity and understanding on the various components of any Android device and the installed OS and apps. Some of your questions seem to be closer to suggestions around changing or adding stock functionality or options you would prefer to have. While this can be good feedback to Google, remember that there are tons of third party apps out there and many of them blow away the limited capabilities of the stock apps or basic OS functions.

-Doc

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)