Did you mean: 
Jim_E
What's DOS?
Views: 908
Message 11 of 16

Re: Text message ringtone resetting to default

eaccents said:

Jim_E said:

But, the subject of this forum topic still is a problem: My custom ringtone and vibration keeps getting turned off in Text Messaging, with it defaulting back to the default ringtone after about fifteen minutes (sometimes sooner, sometimes later.)

View original

Jim:  can you put your device into safe mode and test?

View original

I just followed the instructions that you linked to boot into safe mode.  My fingers are killing me after holding both volume buttons in for over two minutes!

Anyways, it booted up, showed safe mode, then displayed the dreaded "System UIDs Inconsistent" "Do you feel lucky?" error.  

What does it mean if I see that error while still in safe mode?

When I clicked "I feel lucky", I then got an "AtCommandService (process com.motorola.process.system) has stopped unexpectedly.  Please try again." error.  I've been getting them for a while too.  Followed by an "The application Tasks (process.com.motorla.tasks) has stopped unexpectedly.  Please try again."  Both of those having "Force Close" buttons which I clicked.

My phone no longer likes me!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 12 of 16

Jim_E said:

eaccents said:

Jim_E said:

But, the subject of this forum topic still is a problem: My custom ringtone and vibration keeps getting turned off in Text Messaging, with it defaulting back to the default ringtone after about fifteen minutes (sometimes sooner, sometimes later.)

View original

Jim:  can you put your device into safe mode and test?

View original

I just followed the instructions that you linked to boot into safe mode.  My fingers are killing me after holding both volume buttons in for over two minutes!

Anyways, it booted up, showed safe mode, then displayed the dreaded "System UIDs Inconsistent" "Do you feel lucky?" error.  

What does it mean if I see that error while still in safe mode?

When I clicked "I feel lucky", I then got an "AtCommandService (process com.motorola.process.system) has stopped unexpectedly.  Please try again." error.  I've been getting them for a while too.  Followed by an "The application Tasks (process.com.motorla.tasks) has stopped unexpectedly.  Please try again."  Both of those having "Force Close" buttons which I clicked.

My phone no longer likes me!

View original

Getting a little too technical for me!  Am going to find help Smiley Happy

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Jim_E
What's DOS?
Message 13 of 16

Now that I'm running in Safe Mode, my Text Messaging custom ringtone is staying set, as is the vibration on setting.

I wonder what application is messing with that setting?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 14 of 16

Jim_E said:

Now that I'm running in Safe Mode, my Text Messaging custom ringtone is staying set, as is the vibration on setting.

I wonder what application is messing with that setting?

View original

Hi Jim.

There is an app called aSpotCat that will categorize your apps by permission.  This might help narrow down the search for the offending app....

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Jim_E
What's DOS?
Message 15 of 16

eaccents said:

Hi Jim.

There is an app called aSpotCat that will categorize your apps by permission.  This might help narrow down the search for the offending app....

Thanks for the application suggestion.  I just installed it, but I can't seem to open it (no open button in Play Store, and it doesn't appear in the all-apps list).  I suppose that's because I'm in safe mode.

And, even though I've been in Safe Mode for about 24 hours, my text message notifications have reset back to default today!  The only non-built-in apps that I ran were gmail, google voice and google play.  Ugh!

Maybe a factory reset would be my best bet.  I suppose I can back everything up and hopefully restore it.  I've never done that before on my phone.

Highlighted
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 16 of 16

Jim_E said:

eaccents said:

Hi Jim.

Thanks for the application suggestion.  I just installed it, but I can't seem to open it (no open button in Play Store, and it doesn't appear in the all-apps list).  I suppose that's because I'm in safe mode.

And, even though I've been in Safe Mode for about 24 hours, my text message notifications have reset back to default today!  The only non-built-in apps that I ran were gmail, google voice and google play.  Ugh!

Maybe a factory reset would be my best bet.  I suppose I can back everything up and hopefully restore it.  I've never done that before on my phone.

View original

Sometimes it does a world of good to go back to the out of the box state and clear out 4 years worth of stuff Smiley Happy

Top Kudoed Posts