Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
systemBuilder
Paper Tape
Views: 423
Message 11 of 46

Re: Issues with Motorola Razr HD wifi

My Motorola RAZR Maxx HD (SECOND INSTANCE) arrived today, it is now an extremely late xmas present ... :-(

The model of our router is : LinkSys WRT54G2 b/g

The firmware version is : 1.0.01 build 003, Mar. 26, 2008

The SSID is broadcast by the router

The security setting is WEP (128 bits)

Seven other devices in my house can connect from anywhere in our home - Wii, iPad, iPod, iPhone 4S, Thinkpad T42 (5 instances), Thinkpad T420, and an Ideapad Y580.

I have decided that the 802.11 (and probably the main 3G antenna) have serious control issues and/or sensitivity issues!! 

FOR THE 802.11 : I can only get 1 Mbps data rates (802.11) from 25 feet away from my access point in another room, whereas my thinkpad T420 gets 54 Mbps!!  I can only get 18 Mbps from being SIX INCHES away from the router - but at least, my previous RAZR HD MAXX could get 54 Mbps from 12 inches away !!  I tried it over and over again.  My Thinkpad T42 (a 2006 machine with an Atheros a/b/g chipset) gets 54 Mbps, too! 

Now, after 5 minutes of being turned on the radio says 48 Mbps from 25 feet away!!  How can it go from only 18 Mbps, 6 inches away, to 48 Mbps, 25 feet away in another room? There is NOBODY in my house, there is NO MOVEMENT in my house to create new RF shadowing, this is a Ricean channel.  A few moments later, it's at 9 or 12 Mbps.  I did not update the OS.  I did not even activate it yet!

I sent back the last phone because it PERFORMED WORSE THAN OUR IPHONE 4S.  In most places in the house, the 3G/4G signal was 5-10 dBm down from the iPhone 4S (same base station - Verizon).  This new phone doesn't even get 4G!!  The 3G signal is ANOTHER 10 dBm down from the old phone, about 20 dBm down from the iPhone 4S !!

The phone sees anywhere from 3 to 6 access points (it's a little unstable), but the other laptops see 6-8 access points, so it's not just a problem of the rate-control algorithm for 802.11 data rate, it's also a problem with the spread-spectrum MAC/acquisition and/or radio sensitivity!

I work today for Qualcomm and have conducted RF testing of custom radio hardware in isolation boxes before, I wrote and tested the software for a DSSS radio MAC + routing network in 2001, at a wireless sensor networks startup company here in San Diego..  I realy wanted to like this phone.  I was a motorola employee in the 1990's (iridium).  Of course it has a great battery, great screen, and great expandability.  And I'm a native of Illinois and a close friend of mine works for Motorola, so oyalty also factored into my decision to order this phone *sigh* ...

elibraty
What's DOS?
Message 12 of 46

elibraty
What's DOS?
Message 13 of 46

MotoAgent
MotoAgent
Message 14 of 46

Hi systemBuilder,

If this is the second phone that does not perform well in your network of devices, then I would assume that part of the issue lies with your network of devices as well. Did you try another router to verify your assumption?

It seems that you know a lot about this field, but I would still advise to call your local support to see if they have any ideas given that the technicians there troubleshoot issues like yours on a daily base: http://bit.ly/WD9z6h

Hi elibraty,

Please call our friendly customer service to speak to them about the WIFI issue, they will be happy to help you troubleshooting the issue with your phone: http://bit.ly/QQtLzw

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Nicole

systemBuilder
Paper Tape
Message 15 of 46

We tested it again last night against a Galaxy S3, at my house, and the rate adaptations were always significantly lower than the Galaxy S3, which connects fine to our access point and generally saw 18-54 Mbps.  So, theiPhone, the Galaxy S3, the Thinkpad T42, the iPad, the iPod, the Thinkpad T420, and the Ideapad Y580, interoperated properly with the popular LinkSys WRT54 series (december 2009 model, firmware is latest build).  

Unfortunately, the RAZR would again, hover mostly at 1 Mbps without doing rate adaptations.  In attempt to improve performance, we updated it to the very latest jelly-bean software build, last night.  Occasionally (before software update) it would go higher, generally settling at 9 Mbps or 18 Mbps at most.  After a power cycle, it would take more than 5 minutes to move away from 1 Mbps, if it ever increased its bitrate at all.

MotoAgent
MotoAgent
Message 16 of 46

Hi systemBuilder,

I fully understand your approach and I can see that you invest a lot of time in testing the phone. However, to be sure that it is the phone having these issues and to exclude any synchronisation issues, I would recommend to test the phone with another router. If the phone performs fine with another routher, then your very own router would need to be reset, despite of all the other devices working fine. And of course the phone would need to be reset, too.

If the phone performs at the same low level with a different router, then it would be necessary to send it in for a repair. The local support hotline will know where to send it to: http://bit.ly/WD9z6h

I hope that you find this helpful. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

Nicole

systemBuilder
Paper Tape
Message 17 of 46

I will run this test tonight, but I want to point out that this phone sees far fewer access points than similar smart phones.  That alone should be enough to cast suspicion on the RF design or receive sensitivity of the 802.11 receive chain in this phone.  There are 9 access points within receive distance of my house, but this phone sees only 2-5 APs.

systemBuilder
Paper Tape
Message 18 of 46

systemBuilder said:

I will run this test tonight, but I want to point out that this phone sees far fewer access points than similar smart phones.  That alone should be enough to cast suspicion on the RF design or receive sensitivity of the 802.11 receive chain in this phone.  There are 9 access points within receive distance of my house, but this phone sees only 2-5 APs.

View original

I returned the phone (my 2nd one).  I can't spend my life testing smart phones, it's not my job, and will look for a different brand of smart phone, sorry.

systemBuilder
Paper Tape
Message 19 of 46

I decided to return to the phone and get something else, sorry.  I can't be testing this phone model for the rest of my life ...

MotoAgent
MotoAgent
Message 20 of 46

Hi systemBuilder,

No worries, it is understandable that you are acting in your best interest.

All the best!

Cheers,

Nicole