Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Juice1
Not applicable
Views: 2,474
Message 1 of 10

Music ringtone for individual contacts

Hi,

I recently got my  new Motorola Razr HD (XT925) running JB ver 4.1.2 but can't for the life of me work out how to set music stored on my device as individual ring tones for different contacts.

This option just doesn't seem to exist on this phone model but i was running the XT915 and could choose individual music as ring tones from the set ring tone options.

I have searched forums far and wide and can't find an answer...Any suggestions please?

Rgds

Juice

DansDroid
Not applicable
Message 2 of 10

Re: Music ringtone for individual contacts

My Motorola Droid RAZR HD DE does not have Jelly Bean on it yet, but if you can't find what you want on the phone, the old reliable is "Zedge" on the Play Store for free which supports default ringtones, contacts ringtones, message tones, alarms alerts and all types of notifications.    --- Dan

Juice1
Not applicable
Message 3 of 10

Thanks Dan...

Found another way of doing this.

There is a folder in the Internal Storage Device Storage > Ringtones.

By default, this is empty.

Using a free File Manager available at www.android.com/file transfer (since I have a Mac) you can effectively 'mount' the phone as a drive on your Mac.

I then just copied the music I wanted into my Ringtones folder mentioned above and went in and under each respective contact chose Edit Ringtone from the settings button (top right of contact) and could choose all my ringtones copied across.

No external app needed, apart from the File Transfer (which is not needed on a PC operating system) and all my favourite ringtones are there for selection along with the default ringtones on the phone.

Hope this helps others now that I've nutted it out and again, thanks Dan for the ZEDGE suggestion.

Cheers...

Juice

obiwan2000-2
Not applicable
Message 4 of 10

I am running a Droid Razr Maxx HD (XT926) which is the Verizon variant of your phone with JB 4.1.1. I'm not sure if it behaves exactly the same as your XT925 but when I select a contact from the "people" app and open up to the screen for that particular contact, there is a stack of 3 dots in the upper right hand corner which when pressed shows 6 options; the 4th down of which is the "set ringtone" option. When I select this option I get a choice of  selecting ringtones from "Media Storage" which are the standard ringtones or Zedge which DansDroid recommended above.

I cross checked on my Droid Razr Maxx (XT912M) which received the "accidental" JB upgrade to JB 4.1.2 and on this phone the same options show up when the 3 stacked lines on the lower left of the phone is pressed while a particular contact is open.

I hope one set up or the other functions the same way on your phone.

Good Luck,

BobD

my old 2011-2013 Motororla (non-google) sign on - now up and running as my back up.
DansDroid
Not applicable
Message 5 of 10

Juice said:

Thanks Dan...

Found another way of doing this.

There is a folder in the Internal Storage Device Storage > Ringtones.

By default, this is empty.

Using a free File Manager available at www.android.com/file transfer (since I have a Mac) you can effectively 'mount' the phone as a drive on your Mac.

I then just copied the music I wanted into my Ringtones folder mentioned above and went in and under each respective contact chose Edit Ringtone from the settings button (top right of contact) and could choose all my ringtones copied across.

No external app needed, apart from the File Transfer (which is not needed on a PC operating system) and all my favourite ringtones are there for selection along with the default ringtones on the phone.

Hope this helps others now that I've nutted it out and again, thanks Dan for the ZEDGE suggestion.

Cheers...

Juice

View original

You're most welcome, Juice.  I moved the thread to the correct forum.  You might want to also take a look at "Ringdroid" available on the Play Store for free...I've used it since the original Droid days and really lke that app for creating custom ringtones.  Thanks for the feedback.   --- Dan

DansDroid
Not applicable
Message 6 of 10

obiwan2000 said:

I am running a Droid Razr Maxx HD (XT926) which is the Verizon variant of your phone with JB 4.1.1. I'm not sure if it behaves exactly the same as your XT925 but when I select a contact from the "people" app and open up to the screen for that particular contact, there is a stack of 3 dots in the upper right hand corner which when pressed shows 6 options; the 4th down of which is the "set ringtone" option. When I select this option I get a choice of  selecting ringtones from "Media Storage" which are the standard ringtones or Zedge which DansDroid recommended above.

I cross checked on my Droid Razr Maxx (XT912M) which received the "accidental" JB upgrade to JB 4.1.2 and on this phone the same options show up when the 3 stacked lines on the lower left of the phone is pressed while a particular contact is open.

I hope one set up or the other functions the same way on your phone.

Good Luck,

BobD

View original

Thanks for the input, Bob.  It's good to know how it's working on Jelly Bean...on ICS on this phone there are 4 selections available when you tap the menu (3 vertical bars), the third one down is "Set ringtone", which makes it much easier to assign ringtones to contacts than on most previous OS versions of Android phones.   --- Dan

Juice1
Not applicable
Message 7 of 10

Hi Bob,

I can see the "Set Ringtone" option under the stack of dots :-) however once selected, the options you are given only lists the default ring tones on the device.

Until I loaded music files into the Ringtones folder as above (Device Storage > Ringtones) I could not select the Media Storage option you speak of.  Wondering if this is a change between 4.1.1 and 4.1.2.

Anyway, the workaround seems to be fine if you are prepared to load the necessary files into that folder and you can select different tones for different people (as I do for wife, son, daughter, dad, boss :-)....)

Appreciate the responses from one and all...great forum!

Cheers...

Juice

ajaypal1
Not applicable
Message 8 of 10

Hi there,

I also own a Moto XT925 RAZR HD, bought with Fido a few days ago. the phone will simply not use the custom ringtone when i set it, and in turn plays a basic ringtone of its own. The phone is locked, is it the reason? Please guide. I am not happy at the fact that it doesnt support custom ringtones. it runs on Android 4.0.4. 

Pleae guide. Hope to get your reply son.

Nicole_Summers
Not applicable
Message 9 of 10

Hi ajaypal,

Sorry to respond so late. Did you try to contact the Canadian support for this?

http://bit.ly/SJ6AXs

I don't have the Canadian software here, so I cannot test this for you.

Cheers,

Nicole

Jack16
Not applicable
Message 10 of 10

Okay, here is the non technical answer to the problem:  Go on to the phone internal device storage and delete the folder named RINGTONES.  Then save all the music to a folder on your SD card that you have created by the name of RINGTONES.  After this is done insert your SD card into the phone and either COPY (Preferred) or MOVE the folder onto your device to replace the one you deleted.  Now your music shows up in your ringtone list to add to contacts.

Jack