Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
razrbird
What's DOS?
Views: 1,512
Message 1 of 19

RAZR HD 4.1.2 software issues TO FIX!

Prior to XT925 i owned a RAZR i XT890 @ 4.1.2, so I really know what I'm talking about (almost the same experience based on x86 android version) or at least got relevant software to compare to:

- PROXIMITY SENSOR BUG:  the proximity sensor at the very FIRST call after EVERY REBOOT does not function properly. screen goes off and never turns back on until call is ended (no matter how far you place the phone from your ear). during calls placed/received thereafter everything works as intended.  1st annyoing bug that has to be fixed.

- TETHERING ISSUE: tethering is broken (tried wifi and usb tether with several APN settings and different phones/laptops). connecting is fast and without problems, but no internet goes through in any cases. i'm sure it's an APN problem (the way RAZR HD configures default APN), but Moto UK support and my carrier's support could not help with it. RAZR i got same problem on ICS, but editing APN type to 'default,dun' solved it (and after the JB update this workaround was no more needed, tethering worked out of the box. same carrier, same SIM card @ RAZR HD and RAZR i). the weird part here is that RAZR HD odes not even let me to change APN setting to 'dun', says "You are not allowed to add a new DUN APN. DUN APN is only provisioned by the carrier." , and other configurations suggested by the carrier don't help either. 2nd very annyoing bug that has to be fixed.

- BATTERY DROP: there is a significant battery drop from 15% to 5%. maybe it's calibration related but still annoying (and without root cannot be fixed i guess).

- PEOPLE APP FC: 'People' app often force closes (not to mention the ugly background, that was switched from AMOLED friendly black to white with the JB update).

- CAMERA QUALITY ISSUES: sometimes stock camera shoots photos with very unnatural colors (too much red/orange/pink with filmy effect, specially in hdr/too much light/motion).

an android update to 4.3 (utilizing Bluetooth 4.0 LE and other goodies) including fixes to the above mentioned issues would be highly appreciated for this otherwise GREAT hardware. RAZR HD is still Motorola's European flagship device and should be treated accordingly.

[Experiences based on: Expansys UK unlocked retail phone - 98.21.25002.XT925.Orange.en.GB 4.1.2 rom - unrooted fully stock

All bugs are confirmed by at least two different XT925 owners, with the same system version all purchased from Expansys, so these are not unique issues!]

MotoAgent
MotoAgent
Message 2 of 19

Re: RAZR HD 4.1.2 software issues TO FIX!

Hey razrbird,

Thanks a lot for your feedback, I make sure that it gets forwarded to the product team.

Regarding tethering: It is true that you cannot add the option DUN in the APN settings of the RAZR HD with Jelly Bean. The phone should however pick up the DUN APN for tethering automatically from the SIM card. Did you test this with a different SIM card?

Regarding the battery drop: Due to the nature of the chemical reactions in a battery, it will discharge faster when already at a low current. Unless you are saying that the battery jumps directly from 15 to 5% in several seconds, I would consider this as normal.

Cheers,

Nicole

razrbird
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 19

Nicole,

Thanks for the quick response.

About tethering: I will try a different SIM from the same carrier and also one from another carrier as soon as I can get required microSIMs with active data plan. Still, the interesting part here remains that RAZR i got no problem with the same SIM or even with changing APN type to 'dun'.

Battery drop does not always occur, so it`s no big deal just annoying in some cases when it would be otherwise important to get a call with low battery and suddenly 10% is gone (yes, always instant drop when happening).

I'm glad to hear about forwarding my feedback, and I'm looking forward to getting future software updates for this gorgeous piece of hardware.

Regards

Highlighted
hestbankj
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 19

razrbird said:

Nicole,

Thanks for the quick response.

About tethering: I will try a different SIM from the same carrier and also one from another carrier as soon as I can get required microSIMs with active data plan. Still, the interesting part here remains that RAZR i got no problem with the same SIM or even with changing APN type to 'dun'.

Hi Nicole and razrbird,

I can confirm that both USB and WiFi hotspot tethering do not work on a UK Razr HD. I have tried the SIM in another droid phone and it works fine. I hope that you can fix it soon. Thanks

EDIT - Update

I have a giffgaff SIM which would not allow me to add the ,dun command as recommended by Motorola Support. However the SIM also had an o2payasyougo APN on it with the ,dun command included in the APN type. I was able to change all the other settings in that APN to those for giffgaff and tethering and the phone in general seem to work.

MotoAgent
MotoAgent
Message 5 of 19

Hi hestbankj,

Thanks for posting. I popped my Giffgaff SIM card in a RAZR HD to test and found the same thing, however it worked for a Three SIM card straight away in the same phone.

The phone is supposed to pick up the values from the SIM card straight away, barring the possibility to add it manually. I make sure to add that for the product team to look at.

Cheers,

Nicole

razrbird
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 19

TETHERING ISSUE UPDATE:

As promised, I checked Mobile Hotspot with a data plan from another carrier (a pre-paid Tesco Mobile SIM, works on Vodafone's network in Hungary).

The weird thing here is that APN settings are not picked up correctly by the RAZR HD, so Internet is not working without manual configuration (I don't know whose fault is this, carrier or the phone but still have to report it here). Instead the correct 'internet.tescomobile.hu' APN it picks 4 different APNs with various *vodafone* strings (but not *tescomobile*): one for Internet, one for DUN Internet, one for MMS and one for something else (wich I can't recall now, but none of the APNs work when selected). The DUN APN cannot be edited at all, but the main Internet APN works when APN is changed to the correct *tescomobile* value. The 'APN type' field of this main internet APN (or any other) still cannot be changed to 'dun' (same error message as reported in my first post with T-Mobile HU SIM).

So basically tethering test results are the same as were before: after Internet is configured to be working and Mobile Hotspot is launched, clients can connect to the RAZR HD but no internet comes through.

I can test this Tesco Mobile SIM on my RAZR i as well if needed, but I guess Internet access and tether would work automatically and without problems.

Regards

razrbird
What's DOS?
Views: 1,511
Message 7 of 19

CAMERA QUALITY ISSUE UPDATE:

Attached a photo to reveal the problem (downscaled in PS because of the forum limit, original untouched picture is here)

COLOR DISTORTION: Real-life wall color is bright yellow(!), in the picture it's something completely different (not to mention the mantis that should look green like grass). Otherwise picture quality would be awesome with the mantis in close shot, so it's really annoying.

Picture was shot in auto mode (see EXIF info), in a sunny summer afternoon. I'm not sure whether HDR was used or not, but I took multiple shots and all were out of color just like this one, and like in many cases before Smiley Sad

hestbankj
What's DOS?
Views: 1,511
Message 8 of 19

The camera is disappointing. I sometimes get pictures with an unexplained blue cast. This may be what happened to your yellow wall!

razrbird
What's DOS?
Views: 1,510
Message 9 of 19

Dear Nicole,

I've just noticed (with the help of a fellow forum member @ mobilarena.hu hungarian tech site) that my system version is strange, which can be the main cause of at least one of my issues. First of all, though being a Retail Expansys unit, my phone came with an Orange.en.GB ROM. But that's ok, Motorola support told me that Orange.en.GB = Retail.en.GB. The interesting part is that system version is older than on other Expansys UK phones. The above mentioned forum member was kind enough to post his system version screen, and turned out that my RAZR HD runs on VQU25 ROM, while his phone is on VQU26 (with mobile hotspot function RUNNING PERFECTLY!). See attached picture below.

My question is, how is this even possible and how can I fix my obviously outdated/broken ROM without voiding warranty?? For the record, no OTA update is available for my RAZR.

Thanks for any information in advance.

Regards

arthurr
Paper Tape
Views: 1,510
Message 10 of 19

Hello! 

I have the same revision of RAZR HD. The same version... VQU-25 (I'm from Belarus, mobile operator - "velcom"), listed bugs is actual for me also. 

Plus next:

• Playing music from SD card  via Google Play Music app (stock and updated from Play Store) with no other background apps - leads to crazy laggs and music glitches. And this is very often issue for me (at least 1 time in 10-15 minutes). 

• Stock browser Google Chrome working so slow and 40% of time is almost unresponsive with 2-5 seconds delay. Zoom in/zoom out working terrible also. This is not the behavior that costumer expect from the high-end mobile phone.

• Stock Launcher is awesome, but only UI, not the performance. It's so slow, working with jerks, sometime with redrawing all the content form the homescreens... I have to notice, that i have only 2 homescreens with only one widgets - Circles and about 8  application shortcuts. 

• WiFi from the launcher left-side "widgets" sometimes (once or twice a week) can't be turned on . 

I've performed few times a fully system wipe, caches also. This is not a solution. Smiley Sad

I love this phone, but after an 8 months of use I'm still trying to find a replacement for a browser (sometimes Firefox helps me), for a launcher (still can't. Stock launcher time after time appears over third party launchers), i can't at all listen to music (there is no integrated equalizer, music player causes hover of my phone), internet browsing experience is awful. 

And still to check System Software Updates, no luck. 

Best Regards, 

Arthur M.