Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA RAZR HD
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

10-15-2012

Australia

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 15

Screen corruption when waking phone in morning.

2012-10-15, 0:46 AM

My phone has an intermittent problem. It has been happening on and off for the past few weeks, but I dismissed it because it really doesn’t cause me any issues.

When wake the phone for the first time in the morning (using the side button above the volume), I’m met with a pixellated and hard to read screen. To fix this, I simply press the sleep button again, then wake it. The screen problem won’t recur for the rest of the day, but is likely to happen very first thing the next morning.

I’ve attached two photos, one of the screen problem, and another of how the screen looks normally. You can see there is a big difference.

Personally, I’m not that bothered by the problem – the phone works fine in all other respects and the screen is obviously fine. I don’t know if it’s a software bug, or if I have some kind of hardware problem that could escalate.

I’d rather not be without my phone, I really like it, and would be willing to put up with the problem if it doesn’t get any worse. But, perhaps you think I should get it checked out sooner rather than later?

My partner bought this phone on the same day, and he hasn't had the problem once.

I'd like some advice from a Motorola tech.

Thanks,

Tori

Options

1314 Posts

12-09-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 15

Re: Screen corruption when waking phone in morning.

2012-10-24, 20:41 PM

You should probably contact Motorola Tech Support as this is a User-to-User site. One of the moderators may be able to help you, but would still contact tech support.

It is possible that a third party app is causing this as well. Has it done this since day one, or something new? If new issue, backtrack the apps you have installed, uninstall them and see if that was a possible cause.

Again, however, would contact tech support if you want  Moto tech to try and help you out.

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 3 of 15

2012-10-24, 23:21 PM

I'm losing my mind, I think.  Wasn't this posted before, along with a pic of what the screen should really look like?

Options

930 Posts

07-10-2010

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 15

2012-10-25, 15:38 PM

We've forwarded this issue to the software teams and it's planned to fix it in a future update. There's no need to return the phone as it is not a hardware issue. This is a rare issue and as a workaround, we recommend locking /unlocking the screen with the power button.

Options

6 Posts

10-31-2012

Australia

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 15

2012-11-01, 5:28 AM

Great job thinking quickly enough to capture the screen corruption on camera!

My wife and I both got a Razr HD each only 2 weeks ago. From day 1 her's would occasionally display the exact same corrupted screen as you've captured there. And also as you've described, it only seems to happen after it's been asleep for an extended period.

Mine however has never done it.

We spoke to the Telstra store from which we purchased the phones, however they will only send the phone off for testing, rather than replace on the spot. I fear that when they test it, the problem won't appear as it's so random.

I sincerely hope there is a fix for this soon as it is a bit disconcerting. I hope it doesn't get worse, or happen more often.

Options

2 Posts

11-18-2012

Australia

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 15

2012-11-18, 22:37 PM

I also have this screen corruption issue. It seems more and more people are complaining about it, and not just in Australia. Hurry up with the fix Motorola!

http://androidheadlines.com/2012/11/motorola-droid-razr-hd-screen-issues-reboot-for-fix.html

Options

5 Posts

06-01-2013

Australia

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 15

2013-06-01, 13:34 PM

Short version - twist the phone slightly to flex the housing, works on mine. BAD BAD Motorola.

I think I found a partial solution to this problem. It appears to be a hardware issue which I found accidentally whilst removing it from a Aegis Trident case I purchased for it.

Anyway what I found is the phone would come good immediately when I was taking it out of the case. I thought it must have been the slight flexing of the phone when removing it from the case.

So I had it happen a few times since and if I hold the phone top and bottom and twist it slightly it comes good immediately. Seems to do it much less often now. So my guess is poor internal connections in the phone on a PCB multiconnector or maybe some flux residue or other coating on some electrical connections that cleans up with some minor movement.

Options

2 Posts

11-18-2012

Australia

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 15

2013-06-01, 13:49 PM

It only happened twice to me, touch wood.  I hope I don't see it again. I thought it was fixed with the update that came out not long after I reported it.

Options

2137 Posts

07-20-2012

United Kingdom

67 Signins

600 Page Views

• Views: 600
  • Message 9 of 15

2013-06-03, 10:06 AM

Hey craig_oz_land,

This issue was reported by some users and got tackled with an update straight away. What you are describing sounds like a hardware issue. I would ask the Australian support to check the repair options with you before it gets worse.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Nicole

Options

5 Posts

06-01-2013

Australia

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 15

2013-06-03, 10:44 AM

Thanks Nicole, from my searching I wasn't aware there was a software fix. Do you have the details so I can check my phone is running the fixed software.

Further investigation seems to be confirming that it may be the case I am using. I can't seem to replicate the fault outside of the case at the moment. I can hear the buttons clicking so I am not sure if the case is activating the buttons slightly or causing it some other way.

The Telstra shop in Sydney said they have had issues with cases causing problems with other models.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms