Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MauricioBR
Punch Card
Views: 814
Message 1 of 7

Speaker popping noise after KK

I updated my XT925 to KitKat last week and the annoying popping noise started to happen every time the speaker is turned on. Sometimes the pop is louder than the sound that's going to play.

This issue seems to be happening with a lot of Moto phones that got updated to KK and there are many threads about the issue.

Does Moto intend to fix the issue with a future update?

Mark_Emeritus Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Message 2 of 7

Re: Speaker popping noise after KK

1. Is this with speakerphone or with a music/media app? 

2. If a Music/media app which app?

3. If music/media app does it happen repeatedly?

4. Does it happen on WiFi and Mobile Data?

5. Does it happen with streaming or on device media only?

6. Settings > Sounds > Touch Sounds is this checked?

Mark

Forums Manager

Mark
Former Employee
Gunee
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 7

I have a similar issue when I plug my phone to my car using a standard 3.5mm jack to RCA cable.

Right after I connect it, I can hear a repetitive "pop pop pop..." sound, which seems to stop after I open a music app.

I can't remember having the same issue with the previous version, even though I was using the same apps.

MauricioBR
Punch Card
Message 4 of 7

Hi Mark,

This happens every time the speaker is 'turned on', be it for a notification, playing music or switching a phone call to speakerphone.

If the sound is continuous (e.g. playing music), it only happens when the song starts playing. Same for speakerphone, it just happens immediately after the switch, and not during the whole call.

Happens on all of them.

Spotify and Play Music have the issue. Haven't tested in other apps.

No, only when the song starts playing.

Yes, both.

Both streaming and with device media.

No, this is disabled.

Additionally, I disabled Audio Effects for 'speaker' -- it seemed worse with that option enabled.

temedoro15
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 7

Hi, my Razr HD just got the 4.4.2 update (coming from 4.1.2) yesterday and immediatly after rebooting in the new OS I noticed the same pop sound that MauricioBR describes. As he said it seems to happen every time a sound starts, but not during the sound or during a continuous sound (IE: music, ringtone, video).

My current system version is "180.46.117.XT925.AmericaMovil.en.MX".

I will answer your questions as well

Mark (Forums Manager) said:

It happens with every sound, be it at the start of typing, notification or music/video. as for apps I tryed play music, play movies, youtube and TED. It doesn't happen with headphones or a speaker connected

No, only at the start of a track. It's like the pop only happen when the speaker turns on.

It happens with both, and even disconnected. I don't think it has anything to do with the connection as it doesn't happens randomly when the phone is idle.

both

I have it unchecked

Mark

Forums Manager

View original

I hope there can be a fix, as it is very upseting Smiley Sad

Thanks in advance.

temedoro15
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 7

Hi, if it is of any help, I found another thread in the forum about the popping in the Razr HD (US version).

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/c6df45facb

The kitkat update just came to my Mexican Razr HD a few days ago. My phone was stock Jelly Bean 4.1.2. Now with the kitkat update my system version and kernel version are as the attached image says.

The pop sound started after the update, every time a sound starts I hear the pop. Just at the beginning of a sound, not during or after, I wait about 3secs after a sound stops and reproduce another sound (IE youtube video, local video, music streaming, local music) you can hear the pop again.

Someone in that thread mentioned that a developer from xda posted a commit to the razr hd github that fixes the sound, but no official fix at the moment.

I hope it can be solved with via software update.

rickythoooo
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 7

Im having a similar problem on my moto x (1st gen). It happens when I'm in an app playing a game. Not when in videos or music but simply games. I hear popping noises coming out of nowhere from the speaker. This problem started out of no where this week Monday.