03-06-2013 12:32 AM
Apple/Mac/Me/icloud email has suddenly stopped working. I get incorrect user name/ password message but these are the same settings used on my laptop/desktop. Very inconvenient. Have tried a number of suggestions but to no avail. Any ideas?
03-06-2013 05:09 AM
Exactly the same thing has happened to me!
I even deleted the account in case there was some corruption, but it says it cannot connect to the sever.
As you said, all other connections work fine.
Anyone fro Motorola care to comment?
03-06-2013 11:30 PM
Ok, I got it working. Not sure if all of this was necessary but here we go.
First I changed my password for my .me account, as some said this helped
When setting up the account on the RAZR i I put in firstname.lastname@example.org, my new password and opted for "manual" set up and chose IMAP
Imap server is imap.mail.me.com
Security type SSL
Authentication method LOGIN
IMAP path prefix unfilled (So it just says "optional" in grey letters
SMTP server smtp.mail.me.com
Security type None
untick require sign-in
That did it for me, hope it works for others! :-)
03-07-2013 12:02 AM
Tried most of this - no change. Never use .me - always .mac and no problems before. But will see if changing the password (another thing to remember) and adopting .me instead of .mac will work. Wonder where the problem lies ,Motorola or Apple - suspect it is Motorola. If it continues I'll get a phone that works with all my email accounts!
03-07-2013 12:11 AM
On another thread in Apple Support Communities, someone posted that Aplle reset their servers at the beginning of this week. It would make sense that it was the way Apple allows Android devices to connect that changed, and of course the automated set up has not been adjusted yet to allow for this.
It is annoying - before with all my Android phones including this one the automated set up worked fine.
03-07-2013 01:28 AM
Great to hear that you managed to solve it and thank you for sharing the solution.
In cases where you would require an answer quickly, please call the technical support hotline. It just takes me a bit to get back to posts as most of the cases here are issues that require extensive testing and I try to pick up cases in a chronological order.
Rergarding email accounts, its the same as with SMS/MMS settings. Sometimes the automated set up just does not work although it should.
German users hardly seem to have any issues with that, but British users are very used to this happening (example: the network provider Giffgaff).
03-07-2013 10:56 PM
Thank you for your kind words.
I am happy that now I have .me working again, but there are several points that I feel need addressing further.
I have had the RAZR i for a couple of Months and set up all the email accounts using the automated set up without problem. After the upgrade to Jelly Bean all accounts worked without problem, and .me only stopped working this last weekend.
Also this solution works for me but not for Sionnach, and I haven't seen any mass stories of problems on the web, so it seems not everyone using .me on Android phones was affected otherwise there would be some news stories about it.
Lastly .me stopped working on both the data service I have with Vodafone Germany AND my WiFi access at home which is an entirely separate cable supplier. The fix likewise works with both so this does not seem network provider related.
I hope when you have time you could get back to me on these points, and any indications if technical support have found what caused the problem.
03-07-2013 11:43 PM
Peachtree's observations are quite right. I returned from Germany only recently where my Razr i worked perfectly on all email accounts. Only last weekend in the UK did my .mac account stop working. I use O2 in the UK and Blau in Germany. I have tried Peachtree's solution but it has not worked for me so I am currently without my main email account .mac - a real inconvenience. Not sure why .me and .icloud will not work. Incidentally I can also not access .icloud via the web on the Razr i. Seems the problem my lie with Apple but surely Motorola could do more. Thanks Peachtree for your efforts to help solve the problem but I am still in .me/.mac/.icloud limbo!
All the best
03-08-2013 12:34 AM
I am just guessing here of course, but as you have a.mac account maybe the Imap server needs to be something other than imap.mail.me.com
I use Mail on my macs and got the info from Mail/preferences/ICloud/Account Information
(In fact the full item under Incoming Mail Server was p07-imap.mail.me.com, but I read elsewhere to not put this extra bit in front, as the service might work for a while then stop again)
There is a discussion as well on the Apple Support Community Forum at this address:-
Hope this can help!