Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA RAZR™ and RAZR™ MAXX
All Forum Topics
Options

106 Posts

04-25-2012

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 201 of 306

Re: SMS issue

2012-07-22, 12:34 PM

It seems that globally people are becoming aware of this problem

Hi @mark, @trose, hope that the software team have acknowledged the problem & are working to release a patch for this issue that we are facing.

Options

2 Posts

07-22-2012

Russia

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 202 of 306

2012-07-23, 15:56 PM

I experience same problems in Russia (MTS carrier). Emailed Moto support but only got a generic response from them.

Options

106 Posts

04-25-2012

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 203 of 306

2012-07-24, 7:57 AM

Hi @mark, did you hear any update from Motorola on this issue?

Options

930 Posts

07-10-2010

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 204 of 306

2012-07-24, 12:02 PM

All cases have been forwarded to our colleagues in Asia, who are busy working on it.

Farokh said:

Options

62 Posts

11-21-2011

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 205 of 306

2012-07-24, 15:29 PM

Spoke to Mr Harsh Dhawan today. He said he is aware of the isuue and will revert to me with a solution in 3 working days (that means by Saturday).

On the other hand, Moto Service person today called me and saidthey need my handset for testing and will send it to Chennai (but they are unwilling to give me an alternate device in the meanwhile so I am not really looking forward to having them take my handset away without an able replacement).

Options

157 Posts

01-31-2011

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 206 of 306

2012-07-24, 15:36 PM

@aeromach

i would suggest a simple test to find out the root cause of this issue

The Moto servie personnel will definitely have a RAZR that does not have all these issues( Just like my RAZR)

just take your SIM and put it into a RAZR that the service personnel says is working fine and check whether you are able to see the issue.

If you see the issue then it is a problem with your sim or your network, if you don't see the issue, then it is a problem of your phone software,

(As of now i 'am ruling out that the phone hardware might be having a issue. it is a highly remote chance)

This simple step will make sure to identify whether the "network or sim" is the culprit ot your phoen software or software configuration is teh culprit.

IF you have already performed this test, forget it and ignore this post

Options

62 Posts

11-21-2011

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 207 of 306

2012-07-24, 15:43 PM

@sperm2008

Moto Service don't have a working RAZR. 

I tested my SIM in other phones it is not a SIM issue there or neither a network one.

For me it is simply some parameter(s) which is/are conflicting with the Network. Since they don't even have ICS to reflash my device I can't ask them to do that either. Finally I don't understand why can't they re-format and reflash a new image on to my device (they say it is not possible, but I highly doubt it)

Options

1 Posts

07-27-2012

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 208 of 306

2012-07-27, 8:38 AM

I got a new razr on 16/7/2012 in Chandigarh India for my wife  initially it was on version number 2.3.6 and I immediately notice that she was not receiving any sm’s although she was able to send. Updated it on ICS.  The very next day this phone went totally dead that is she was not able to receive any calls and screen went totally blank( the best part is that callers were getting a ringing bell  but she was not receiving any,  causing her lot of embracement (could have cost’d a human life too as she is a doctor and lot of patient in dire need call her and sms her) Anyhow I took this phone to the service center and got a doi after 3 days of wait and regular follow-ups .  Same day went to the dealer again and got a brand new razar again but to my horror it has same issue’s i.e  no sm’s are received. My wife works 24x7 on sms so this phone with sms bug is totally useless to her, so this phone after spending 28k is laying totally useless at home. I called up service center on 25th July, 2012 and lodged a complaint. And the reply I got was that somebody from software department will get back with me in next 24 to 48 hrs. So today again called up call center guys and they told me that the software guys will get back with me in next 10 to 15 days. WOW !!!!.  my complaint number is 120712012816. On insisting to let me speak to somebody senior they gave me a number of Mr Parveen 9310622236 which I tried calling n number of times but nobody receives this call. . Your country and service provider

Country > India. Service Provider >Airtel

2. Current System version

65.1.40.XT910.AsiaRetail.en.03

3. AP FLEX Version and Build Number

GAS_ASIA_USASPDRIRD_P055

GAS_ASIA_USASPDRIRD_a030

Build Number > 6.5.1-167-SPD-IRD-40

4. Issue: No more than 3 sentences and be succint.

Not receiving SMS. Sometimes by turning OFF/ON 1 ou 2 arrives. Then stops again. I also sometimes receive multiple copies of SMSes when they do arrive.

5. How new is your SIM Card?

2 month OLD BUT WORKS FINE WITH ALL OTHER ANDROID PHONES

Options

3 Posts

07-27-2012

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 209 of 306

2012-07-27, 11:24 AM

TRose said:

All cases have been forwarded to our colleagues in Asia, who are busy working on it.

Farokh said:

Hi TRose/Subscribers, Any update on this issue..? I am new to this post and I too am facing issues receiving SMS on my ICS updated Razr handset on Airtel (India). When I spoke to Airtel tech support, they said that there is some protocol mismatch and they are unable to send SMS to my phone.

[UPDATE:]

I think the issue that I was facing for quite some time has resolved now.

I've kept this in a testing phase to check my messages for a month now, and i've not missed a single SMS.

I also verified with the network provider, asking them to send test messages to my phone and checking if there is still a "Protocol Error" that they had mentioned berore (they said there is no problem now).

Before you start -

Go to your System Settings>More... and turn-off/disable Cell Broadcast.

Just to be sure, go to your Message Settings and do the following:

• Enable Delivery Reports

• Disable location cards

• Disable auto retrive

• SMS encofing must be 16 bit

Here is the "Simple" but effective steps I followed:

• Take out your SIM (mine is Airtel)

• Insert any other Micro SIM (I used my friend's Vodafone SIM that he uses for his iPhone 4)

• You will be prompted for some kind of configuration "Do u want to configure the phone based on this SIM?" or something in the same lines. Click the OK button.

• Now test if this SIM is receiving SMSs - For me, it did receive every SMS that I sent to it.

• Now remove the SIM (Vodafone).

• Insert your SIM (Airtel) and you are prompted with the same "Do u want to configure the phone based on this SIM?" message.

• Click OK and test SMS on your device.

Hope this works for you'll.. Please do let me know if it does..

Options

94 Posts

04-22-2012

India

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 210 of 306

2012-07-27, 16:05 PM

HERE is the symptomatology..

To begin with

Micro SIM 1 + Razr XT910+ Android 2.3.6 = Had SMS issues as mentioned in the first post.

Micro SIM 1 + Three other phones, one running android 2.3.6, one running Maemo and the other running Symbian = Worked fine.

After 2 months....

Micro SIM 2 + Razr XT910+ Android 2.3.6 = Had SMS issues as mentioned in the first post.

Micro SIM 2 + Tried on many more phones running different os =  Worked fine.

After 1 more month.....

Micro SIM 2 + Razr Maxx + Android 2.3.6 = Had SMS issues as mentioned in the first post.

Needless to say SIM 2 worked fine on other mobiles.

July 2nd week....

Micro SIM 2 + Razr Maxx + Android 4.0.4 (Updated OTA) = Had SMS issues as mentioned in the first post (After about 4 days of update)

Needless to say SIM 2 STILL worked fine on other mobiles.

(BEFORE ANYBODY ASKS ME WHETHER I TRIED A DIFFERENT SIM CARD ON RAZR... YES I TRIED CARDS FROM TWO DIFFERENT SERVICE PROVIDERS.. ONE HAD THE SMS ISSUE AFTER ABOUT A DAY. THE OTHER ONE WORKED FINE. BUT THE REAL ISSUE IS I COULD NOT CHECK IT OUT FOR LONG... SO I CANNOT COMMENT WHETHER IT REALLY HAD NO ISSUES, AS SYMPTOMS OF SMS ISSUE START A FEW DAYS AFTER MAKING ANY CHANGES (like OTA update or Factory Reset or Changing SIM card or sometimes even rebooting)

In the last one week

Micro SIM 3 + Razr Maxx + Android 4.0.4 (Updated OTA) = NO ISSUES yet (in all my previous tests the SMS issue had reappeared within 3-4 days)

Its good for me that this combination of SIM3+HARDWARE+OS is working well without any issues till date.

My Observations are,

1. its not hardware issue (cause issue present on both RAZR and RAZR Maxx)

2. its not software issue (cause issue present on both GB and ICS)

3. its not SIM card issue (cause all the SIMS were new and they all worked fine on all other phones they were tried on)

My Diagnosis is,

"We have to just get the right SIM, no matter if it works on other phones or not, but it should work on THIS PHONE, WHICH HAS A SERIOUS BUG IN BOTH GB AND ICS... due to which the SMS function works fine with only selected SIM cards of selected network."

So, buy a mobile spending about 600$ and go on a hunt for the SIM which works with it.

Is this issue something similar to "SIM card error" or "SIM card authentication error" or "Invalid SIM card" faced by some RAZR users in the past, in which case swithing to a new SIM had a placebo effect for 2-3 days after which the isssue reappeared? hope that issue is fixed now.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms