Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA RAZR™ and RAZR™ MAXX
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

08-07-2012

Australia

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 8

XT-910 RAZR continually rebooting

2012-08-07, 4:04 AM

I purchased my RAZR XT-910 2 months ago, and it has been working perfectly well until Saturday. I plugged it in to the car socket to recharge, but some time later I looked and noticed it wasn't charging, and there was "no service" which was a bit odd, as I was not far from a tower and normally have strong signal at that location.

I turned it off to reboot and see if I could get a signal, but it went into continual re-booting, and there is less than half a minute between reboots. This continues until the battery is flat. Recharging and trying to turn it on just makes it go to continual rebooting again.

I've tried a hard-reset which takes me to a list from which I chose recovery boot, but that just results in a ! in a triangle and a green android on the screen, Then I try hard reset to get out of that, as just using the power button doesn't do anything, and end up at an Android system recovery screen, where options, other than reboot now, which takes me back around again, are:

apply update from SD card (I don't have one)

wipe data/factory reset (doesn't sound like a sensible thing to do if I want to keep all my data, photos, contacts etc)

wipe cache partition (same as above)

I'm just about to drive into town to send it away to be repaired, but any quick suggestions for other things to try before sending it away for the advised 2-4week repair time  would be appreciated.

TIA

Gordon

Options

5594 Posts

06-17-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 8

Re: XT-910 RAZR continually rebooting

2012-08-07, 4:24 AM

SD card also applies to the internal memory of the phone. This area is not formatted upon reset on the XT910. If you want, back up your contacts to the SD card and do a factory reset. Taking the phone to be repaired, this is going to be the first thing they do anyway.

Wiping the cache partition only wipes the cache, and you will not lose any data. The time it takes the OS to start back up may be longer than normal after this.

Options

930 Posts

07-10-2010

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2012-08-07, 11:30 AM

You could also check if the sim card is still fitted properly. First take out the sim card and check if the phone reboots with no sim card too.

If not, you can try re-inserting the sim card and see what happens.

Options

5 Posts

08-07-2012

Australia

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2012-08-07, 12:43 PM

The phone has been sent off, but I'd already tried with the SIM in and out- it made no difference.

I'm not sure how they'll manage to copy anything to an SD card, it reboots before anything can be done at all. I wanted to do a backup to my laptop, the last one was a month ago, but I think it was in USB battery charge only mode- it kept rebooting before I could change that, and even if I had managed to change it, there would have been no time for copying anything across to the laptop HD.

Options

1 Posts

08-09-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2012-08-09, 4:51 AM

Went to un-lock my phone today and it would not respond to any touch inputs. now it is randomly turning on and off the screen but still will not respond to any touch inputs.....

Is there a way with the side buttons only to reboot the phone??

Options

930 Posts

07-10-2010

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2012-08-09, 11:47 AM

Yes: Press and hold the power key + volume down key for 10 seconds to perform a force reboot on the device.

Wilkinda65 said:

Went to un-lock my phone today and it would not respond to any touch inputs. now it is randomly turning on and off the screen but still will not respond to any touch inputs.....

Is there a way with the side buttons only to reboot the phone??

Options

5 Posts

08-07-2012

Australia

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2012-08-26, 4:10 AM

The repairers tell me that it should be ok now: "New PCB board, should solve all the rebooting issues". I'll see how it goes when it arrives in a couple of days.

Options

5 Posts

08-07-2012

Australia

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2012-09-03, 0:37 AM

I've had the phone back for a few days now, and no more reboots, so thats all good. What is not good is that now I have no data over the mobile network :(

It worked before the PCB was replaced, but now it doesn't. I installed ICS a couple of days after I got it back, but that didn't help either.  I had to download and install all my apps again - they were all wiped at the repairers, but I restored all my contacts from the backup.

The red (/) over H disappears when I toggle mobile data on, but my Network Signal Info app says Data state: Disconnected.

I really dont want to be without my phone for another 3 weeks to have this fixed, are there any tricks to make it work?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms