cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xdonbaldwin
What's DOS?
Views: 300
Message 11 of 48

Re: Motorola Titanium = Iden on Andriod 2.1?

I don't know alot about phones or how their made but I do know nothing is impossible when it comes to technology.  When Motorola decided the i1 wasn't going to get the 2.1 or 2.2 up it was because they had other projects or ideas that they as a company thought were more productive and/or profitable. I love my i1 (even though boost is pissing me off) and i for one feel the only thing keeping it from being one of the best phones out is the lack of an up to date OS.  As for its possible lack of memory that's what micro SD is for added memory I'm 100% sure they can find a way to make it work they just have to try. If i am wrong please correct me so I'm not left misinformed.

wpascarelli
What's DOS?
Message 12 of 48

Sorry for the miss informations, but I get it from sites like phonespecs.com and others.

But about the excuse from Motorola, some phone have less "power" hardware than i1, and run Eclair, even Froyo. What about now?

I think that: is not that they can't update the phone, is because they dont WANT to do the update.

citizen1
Token Ring
Message 13 of 48

at this point it is a programing isssue  you can bring me the best computer on the market and tell me to instal DOS on it and i can and it will work the same is true the other way you can bring me a computer with original os of Win 95 and i can instal win 7 however the computer will be so slow and unresponsive you will think it will not work

now in regards to the i1 the above is why moto said this phone would not work however there is seveal phones on the market running 2.1 and 2.2 that have much lower specs [inculding the new boost andriod phone [specs are much lower then this phone in all areas]]

can this phone be made to upgrade most assurdly yes however moto will not make it and i am the only person i know trying to make a 2.x update for this phone [ETA vary long time out [sorry]]

citizen1
Token Ring
Message 14 of 48

the last line is what i truly think i do not think they find there will me any money in it as such they took what was to be our update put it into another phone that will be going out soon to recupe there loss of profit from the fact the usa willl not have iden at all in less then 2 yrs

wpascarelli
What's DOS?
Message 15 of 48

I agree with you Citizen. But I want to see Mark's / Motorola´s answer about that. They know that several phones with lower configs than i1 acctualy run both 2.1 and 2.2 Android´s OS. And they have sucess putting the PTT feature inside the Motorola Titanium with 2.1 OS.

Now, that greatest excuses have been eliminated, why can't we have an update?

Please, don't close this thread. We are here only asking some answers about doubts that we have. I really want a concreted answer, I don't want an answer like: "Because Motorola decided it."

I want an answer like: "We can't update the i1 because of it and that"

ookami1
Token Ring
Message 16 of 48

Your strait answer is Motorola sees no money in updating this phone when the iDEN network will be shut down in a few years. Why give a iDEN phone update to continue the use of one model phone when they can sell you another phone just for it to be a useless brink in a few years as well. What Motorola doesn't seem to realize (or care about) is that these tactics alienate customers and they react by spending their money elsewhere. On the other hand I'm not giving up a phone I just got not to long ago like that and the 1.5 os isn't bad really (I've been lucky enough not to experience the glitches others have complained about other than the battery visuals). That said I will be making a small contribution to citizen to try to help him with his research in making a 2.1 or 2.2 os for this phone while preserving the ptt in hopes that if enough do the same he might have a chance in doing just that (citizen this donation will be small but if you do find a why I will pay a reasonable amount for the option to upgrade as compared to swapping out for the newer model) if Motorola had thought of this they could have made a pretty penny off of it but oh well

wpascarelli
What's DOS?
Message 17 of 48

But that is the point. They don't need to do a lot of researchs to do this update. They only need to modify some strings in the Titanium rom and port it to i1. They already have the things to do the update.

ookami1
Token Ring
Message 18 of 48

You are correct they do, but my main point still stands, let me explain it to you in a question. How does giving you a software update directly profit Motorola Corp.?

Now agreed this isn't a good way to do your customers, exactly not the loyal iDEN ones. And this profit situation could have made them loads if they had just charged ten bucks or so to get the update off their servers (though a few would complain about that it would have been quickly forgotten and the hassle of pushing out a new phone model would dissipate thus saving them money) but regardless, Motorola isn't like some mom and pop shop, they are a large company and as such they have made a move to incress their profits to it's max potential. Which is what a good company does (that being said I hope it backfires just to show them there is a fine line between customer obligation and profiteering. A line they have crossed)

wpascarelli
What's DOS?
Message 19 of 48

I know that. I really understand this point. But if they will shut down the IDEN in USA, why they still making and releasing new phones?

They should at least teach us how to port the rom;

ookami1
Token Ring
Message 20 of 48

lol, agreed they should but it makes to much since for them to do that, simply put Motorola has figured out that iDEN users are of the most loyal when it comes to their network and will stick around to the network is killed off. Thus Motorola pulls every possible penny out of the iDEN network it can till then buy selling the new phone at a jacked up rate. once the iDEN network is down (going from the last time sprint tried to kill it) you have two possibilities,

1) iDEN users go into an uproar and flee sprint like rats fleeing a sinking ship. Sprink exects see this and kill the idea of killing iDEN so the people will come back. These people then have to buy another iDEN phone to replace the one the probably canned.

2) Sprint leaves the iDEN network down and people go to other networks where they turn in the useless bricks for a cmda for gds phone where is would also make since that motorola offer a huge discount for turning it in if you get another moto. but since it makes so much since they wont, users will remember these acts against the iDEN users and go with another brand like LG (as I've already advised my employer to consider)