cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ookami1
Token Ring
Views: 434
Message 31 of 48

Re: Motorola Titanium = Iden on Andriod 2.1?

after reading up and doing some technical homework you are correct in one thing, the CPU is only a 500MHz, fastest ever overclocked was 527MHz and that one fried shortly after. However, The speed of the CPU makes it a perfect candidate for the upgrade to 2.2 (not sure about .3) as I have found NO system requirements for the android software. Thus any android phone could use a newer os given the proper drivers. I did however find an article mentioning that the upgraded os was tweaked to speed up possessing.

Before anyone complains about the i1 having only a 500MHz CPU please remember that blackberry basically had the market cornered in push to talk smartphones and the i1 was, for all accounts, a "Test" phone. Motorola had to Test the market to see if they could efficiently compete with blackberry in this area and with the Titanium on the way I think they liked the answer.

Message was edited by: ookami
For spelling correction

boymeetsphone
What's DOS?
Message 32 of 48

You are absolutely right. The i1 CPU CAN run 1.6, 2.1, and 2.2. However it not going to happen from Motorola. They have to think about the user experience. The i1 has 256MB of RAM. So though the processor could handle it the phone would quickly become laggy(at least if running 2.2 and MAYBE 2.1)due to low memory. I think they should at least update it to 1.6 though so it would have google navigation beta.

citizen1
Token Ring
Message 33 of 48

www.freescale.com/ is the maker of the cpu and it is at default 900 mhz if you read the technical documents however moto does declare they are running the cpu at half power and not using its 10 bit artachture and only using 8 bits have not cheeked this yet but a common reason is something most early computers ran into and that was the bus speed of your ram needs to be at least twice as fast on the cpu so should the ram be less then this it is a way to auto under clock the machine

take a old socket A chip FSB = 400 but you install ram that is 133 mhz then you will not get any where near a FSB of 400 you will only get 266 as the cpu is starved for resources

however due to what i read in these documets this is why i think the the 500 declration was done and why i say what i do about the cpu speeds by cutting the power they got the battery life to increases by 60% {note this phone already has a short batt life} also moto by defult sets there phone cpus to 8 bits and by defult this cpu was made to run at 10 bits this was done for coding reasons on how long the charitors are and one can still reserve the 9 bit for data security and intergraty 

regardless the phone can run on any of the 2.x os will also probably be slower then normal and as this has more ram then several 2.2 phones this should help the cpu for it

ie the phone can be clocked at 900 but your batt will last even less then it does now and should the os be encoded to be 10 bit over the 8 bit this will increase its speed by 10-20 % should the ram support this [i have not cheeked support for the 10 bit to the ram or bridge chips yet]

when i say something i do have a reason as i have been studding a lot of this phones abilities programing and many other aspects including hardware as to find out its  abilities reactions to the upgrade and I learned a long time ago never trust the maker of the device for specs it is often not right for true specs all of the default specs can be override to the hardware true abilities

if you care to read the reports MC145574 is one brief for moto only and the other is AN1722 which is the older series of this cpu but gives better methods of doing the math and archateure design of this cpu

waguiarbjj2011
What's DOS?
Message 34 of 48

Just got one , but need to hard reset it....Could anyone help me on that?

cleatus1
What's DOS?
Message 35 of 48

Sprint Network Vision  will take over

also, who wants a titanium with a keyboard?!?!?----LIKE THE SOON-TO-BE-OUT-OF-BUSINESS BLACKBERRY...

sooooo last decade...

SomeOneInFl
What's DOS?
Message 36 of 48

Personally as long as its touch screen for apps, I rather the tactile feel of a keyboard.

citizen1
Token Ring
Message 37 of 48

i would have thought that save the i886 is a vary common model so it will have some value and besides this phne is not for the usa it is for other iden nations

SomeOneInFl
What's DOS?
Message 38 of 48

If I had my way, a slide in keyboard with a big touch screen Andriod PTT phone would make me happy. One can dream I guess.

ookami1
Token Ring
Message 39 of 48

This is kinda useless, Motorola and Sprint have both seen the market is viable for iDEN smartphones and yet sprint will still deprive costumers for a service other countries embrace as a great work tool. Motorola will still release the Titanium to the USA and the rest of the world knowing usa users wont be able to use them after to long, it will have an outdated os like it's older brother, an os we would gladly pay for on the i1. There will be people that will complain about this to the death ears of Motorola, and finally Motorola will more than likely have the bootloader locked in it as well to keep custom operating systems off their phone then void the warranty if you sneeze. To put it simple, Moto. does not care, and will not listen to you the buyer, you buy the phone, they hold the rights to the software and will never upgrade it or fix any glitches because they don't have to as long as you and others still buy their product regardless.

SomeOneInFl
What's DOS?
Message 40 of 48

I would think that Motorola is trying to protect the PTT intergration then anything else. The i1 was their first Android after all. Does any company allow upgrading the Android OS?