Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
yepphers
What's DOS?
Views: 260
Message 1 of 1

Android Phones Vulnerable To Wipeout Attack

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/30/ravi-borgaonkar-says-andr_n_1923867.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

Ravi Borgaonkar Says Android Phones Vulnerable To Wipeout Attack

AP  |  By RICHARD LARDNER Posted: Updated: 09/30/2012 2:27 pm EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) — Cellphones using Google's Android operating system are at risk of being disabled or wiped clean of their data, including contacts, music and photos, because of a security flaw that was discovered several months ago but went unnoticed until now.

Opening a link to a website or a mobile application embedded with malicious code can trigger an attack capable of destroying the memory card in Android-equipped handsets made by Samsung, HTC, Motorola and Sony Ericsson, rendering the devices useless, computer security researcher Ravi Borgaonkar wrote in a blog post Friday. Another code that can erase a user's data by performing a factory reset of the device appears to target only the newly released and top selling Galaxy S III and other Samsung phones, he wrote.

Versions of Android that are vulnerable include Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean, according to Borgaonkar.

Questions:

1)My Triumph uses Android ver 2.2.2. So, I guess even though I have a Gingerbread keyboard, my phone is not as vulnerable as the the others listed?

2) When I go to settings/About Phone/System Update, I get the message Install package not found. Is there a way Motorola will send us an install package if a security vulnerability crops up and a fix is offered?