cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HoustonBrooke
What's DOS?
Views: 309
Message 1 of 3

Better Virgin Mobile Alternatives to the Triumph?

I love getting a bill for only $25 a month with Virgin, but I'm on the verge of going to a contract phone because the choices are never right for me. Then I think, they always release new phones, so maybe if I hold on a little longer....

Anyways, I'm now running into issues where I can't install Apps that aren't compatible with Android 2.2. But currently the Triumph seems to be the only Virgin phone with a reasonable internal memory. I have a huge SD card, and App 2 SD to make sure I don't run out.

I had purchased the HTC Wildfire and it became useless in 48 hours from installing less than 10 standard apps. I have no idea how everyone else does it.

So the Triump has 8gb (where most others have only 512mb), and that kept me happy for a while. But now I'm reaching a fork in the road. So two questions to the rest of you -

1. Have you found a suitable Virgin phone that has enough memory and a newer version of Android?

2. Have you tried this step-by-step guide to force upgrade Triumph to Gingerbread? http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-triumph-virgin-mobile/130101-motorola-triumph-upgrades-12-16-11-update.html

DrHenley
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 3

Re: Better Virgin Mobile Alternatives to the Triumph?

Virgin is now carrying the HTC EVO V.  It used to be called the HTC EVO 3D when Sprint carried it.  I thnk Virgin got them in a fire sale from HTC when Sprint dropped the phone for a 8MP 2D model - mine is actually Sprint branded.  Runs circles around the Triumph.  I upgraded yesterday and have absolutely no regrets.

The GPS actually works!  I get a lock REALLY FAST.  

The 3D camera is fun.  In 2D the camera  won't win any awards, but it's better than the Triumph's  It has a dedicated camera button.

WIFI hot spot!

ICE CREAM SANDWICH!!!

I think it will get Jelly Bean, it is certainly capable.

Brighter screen - usable in full sunlight.

Reponsive multitouch screen (the Triumph was only a dual-touch)

qHD resolution (Quarter HD - 540x960)

1.2 GHz dual core Snapdragon.

Did I mention that it has 

ICE CREAM SANDWICH!!!

HoustonBrooke
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 3

Re: Better Virgin Mobile Alternatives to the Triumph?

Thanks!

I have no doubt the Evo is a better phone, but to upgrade that means I'd lose my grandfathered rate of $25. I'm not really ready to committ to an extra $120 a year just for a different phone.

If they force it on me, and change my rate to $35, then I'm going out and getting that phone right away.