Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idbl_fanatic
What's DOS?
Views: 536
Message 1 of 9

Defect or not?

I have dust under the screen of my Triumph, in the upper right hand corner, would this be considered (by you) a defect? VMU says there is nothing they can do, and suggested getting a screen protector (which it has)

servbotx
Bit Torrent
Message 2 of 9

Re: Defect or not?

Dust under the glass is a defect if there is no physical damage to the device. This can be repaired through a Motorola repair center or replaced via warranty exchange through Virgin Mobile.

Keep in mind that any physical damage, water damage, missing parts or unofficial software builds, voids your warranty.

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the defect?
mstechify
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 9

if no physical damage going through VM is way easier. they send you a phone first so you are not with out. once order processed most get it 2 day fed ex and a pre-paid envelope to return just the old phone. know how to word your request for the exchange with VM so they will under stand you as it is probably not a regular request. report back if you are asked to try and pull your battery. LOL. 

Jander78
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 9

Did you remove the out of the box screen protector that this phone comes with pre-installed?  I'm not referring to the original cover that had a pull tab that comes off, there's another underneath that's really hard to identify on the phone that is removable.  Hopefully the issue with your dust may just be underneath that layer.

See this thread below for more detail on how to remove it:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-triumph/380551-anyone-notice-two-layers-screen-protection-out-box....

stef71
Token Ring
Message 5 of 9

Mine has some dust under the screen as well.

Either the units are being assembled in a less than clean environment, -or- the screens themselves get statically charged and where there is a gap between the case and screen, dust particles migrate there.

wkevindavis
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 9

mine has dust under the flash/camera cover

La_Muertex
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 9

Hmm. Seems to be a fairly common enough problem. I'd say there could have been a few batches where the glass wasn't getting discharged or something before assembly.
That would definitely qualify as a defect...I think.
I dunno most corporations are pretty stingy.

kurt1955
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 9

My third Motorola Triumph had what I thought was pitted glass, but on closer examination it was tiny air pockets, or duct under the factory installed screen protector.  I had to return the phone anyway for other hardware problems (I think this one was the one where the speaker was defective). My fourth phone in a week is the one I am still using.  No hardware issues I am aware of, just the common software issues everyone here has reported. 

At first, I did not realize that the Triumph had a factory installed screen protector and was dissapointed at how easily the screen smungded compaired to the Optimus V.  However, I ran across a video showing how to peel it off.  I did this months ago, and have no regreats.  The Triumph comes with Gorilla glass, so if you are careful, it won't scratch. I think the screen looks much nicer without the screen protector.  However, if you have a Triumph that has dust or bubbles under the screen protector, I certainly would try and have it replaced, rather than remove the protector.

mykyl
What's DOS?
Views: 535
Message 9 of 9

Has to be a defect.  Two things that make this phone a POS.  First, the log files that eat your internal memory up.  Mine averages about 100 megs every few days.  I was wondering why only after a short period of time when I was trying to text it was telling me I was running out of room.  Thinking I had installed too many apps...I formatted the phone...installed all my apps I used all over again and started out with 750 megs of spare space.  Within two weeks it was down to 600 megs due to the log files being modified in the /data/  folder.  alog_radio, alog_system, pmlog.log etc.   I found a way to clear those manually.    Like I said...every 3 or 4 days it eats up about 100 megs or so.

Second...alot of the Triumphs have a defective seal that allows very very very fine dust to get in UNDER the screen.  NOT under the screen protector...under the touch screen.  I've had my phone for just over a year now and it has gradually got worse and worse.  I attached a photo here for all to enjoy.  I've also noticed on pics that others have uploaded that the dust isn't in just one area...it's in different areas of the screen.  This is by far the worst phone I have ever owned.