Did you mean: 
damajackal
What's DOS?
Views: 717
Message 1 of 2

Why are even high quality JPEGs blurry?

Last night I tried viewing a big jpeg. Here it is, quite nerdy:

http://www.sermountaingoat.co.uk/map/versions/speculative_map.jpg

I found it in google images and clicked "Show Full-Size image." When I tried to zoom it large enough to read the text, it became impossibly blurry. So I downloaded it to my SD card and tried viewing it in the gallery. Zoomed and it became blurry.

The original file is 5mb. It's 4642 pixels by 4642 pixels. My phone's screen is 480 x 800. Shouldn't I be able to make it five times bigger than my screen without deterioration? I assume that the viewer is presenting me with a thumbnail scaled to my screen and then resizing that when I zoom... but that's stupid. How can I A) Look at the real file? or B) Zoom in without the image becoming useless?

I also wanted to make it my wallpaper. Yes... very nerdy. But even when I use the 5mb file as a background, it's blurry. Arg! Help?!

servbotx
Bit Torrent
Views: 717
Message 2 of 2

Re: Why are even high quality JPEGs blurry?

It sounds like you're zooming on a thumbnail instead of the actual file. You'll need to open the full size image or save it to the SD card first.

Does it do the same thing when you use the direct link you posted? For me it just took a very long time to render correctly.