Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA XOOM™ 2
All Forum Topics
Options

6817 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 11 of 35

Re: Frequent system hangs and reboots

2012-01-09, 3:09 AM

bigach said:

Thats a great idea Doc... I may look into that!

I started keeping my own log trying to determine a pattern and noting what app I was using when the reboot happened....

My Xyboard 10.1 has rebooted once each day for the last week...  so far, I can tell it does not like Google Currents and the Stock browser, keeping it going for another week or 2 before I pass the log over to Matt for some brainstorming.

@bigach,

That is great detective work, it should help to narrow down the possible causes. If you try out SystemPanel, I think you might find it a big help to your logging and capturing of environment details (such as memory and cpu).

-Doc

Options

12 Posts

01-05-2012

Spain

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 12 of 35

2012-01-09, 5:46 AM

Good idea Doc prove it.
I have not installed Google Currents.
If it's worth, if I voluntarily reset every day. No system hangs and reboots.

Options

6817 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 13 of 35

2012-01-12, 3:31 AM

AngelSpain said:

Good idea Doc prove it.
I have not installed Google Currents.
If it's worth, if I voluntarily reset every day. No system hangs and reboots.

@AngelSpain,

I can't prove it, I don't have a Xoom with this issue to prove it on! I am making suggestions based on past and current personal experience, plus things that have worked for other Xoom owners across the Xoom forums.

-Doc

Options

3 Posts

12-22-2011

U.K.

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 14 of 35

2012-01-24, 12:52 PM

I also had the same issues with the Xoom ME, and took that back as I thought it was faulty. Now I have it on the Xoom 2, I'm pretty sure it's a software issue.

I called Motorola (something I recoommend everyone does, as that's the only way they'll know about the issue) and they said it was a hardware issue and I should send it in for repair! I explained the issue with the ME and the fact that the boards had lots of references to the fault, and they denied that it was an issue they know about.

I think I'll take it back as unfit for purpose and get a Transformer Prime instead...

Options

6817 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 15 of 35

2012-02-03, 6:55 AM

bigach said:

docbrown said:

Greetings,

I don't have the Xoom 2 or xyboard (yet), but I had experienced similar issues with my Xoom FE when an app conflict cause memory issues and random reboots. This issue sounds like the cause maybe different, but one of the utilities that helped me identify the issues was "SystemPanel" form the market in monitor mode (you have to turn Monitor on in settings). The monitor mode keeps a log of everything running on your tablet, so when a reboot occurs or lock-up, you can go back and read the log files of activity up to that point (and even sometimes the FC application). While it won't stop the issue, it might give you additional clues as to what it causing the reboot.

-Doc

Thats a great idea Doc... I may look into that!

I started keeping my own log trying to determine a pattern and noting what app I was using when the reboot happened....

My Xyboard 10.1 has rebooted once each day for the last week...  so far, I can tell it does not like Google Currents and the Stock browser, keeping it going for another week or 2 before I pass the log over to Matt for some brainstorming.

Hello bigach,

Any update on your issues with the xyboard rebooting? I just bought an XYBoard 10.1 and have not experienced any reboots or issues yet (though I have really not started pushing it either).

Just checking in with you.

-Doc

Options

134 Posts

10-22-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 16 of 35

2012-02-03, 13:31 PM
Hey Doc,

Welcome to the club.. I absolutely love my Xyboard 10.1

The reboots still happen... Sometimes multiple days in a row, sometimes not, yesterday it rebooted twice on me.

I've pretty much decided that its a memory issue, I couldn't quite say what app causes it as there hasn't been a clear pattern, but some apps definitely instigate more than often, and I've stopped using some of them for good like the stock browser and google currents.

It usually also happens when I have a lot of apps running all at the same time.

I don't see why a software update couldn't fix this minor instability.

Other than that, I'm still very happy with this product!
Options

6817 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 17 of 35

2012-02-03, 14:39 PM

bigach said:

Hey Doc, Welcome to the club.. I absolutely love my Xyboard 10.1 The reboots still happen... Sometimes multiple days in a row, sometimes not, yesterday it rebooted twice on me. I've pretty much decided that its a memory issue, I couldn't quite say what app causes it as there hasn't been a clear pattern, but some apps definitely instigate more than often, and I've stopped using some of them for good like the stock browser and google currents. It usually also happens when I have a lot of apps running all at the same time. I don't see why a software update couldn't fix this minor instability. Other than that, I'm still very happy with this product!

@bigach,

Have you tried using the app "SystemPanel" to monitor your resources (memory, cpu, space, etc)? You must turn on monitoring through the settings, it is off be default. When you get a reboot, then SystemPanel would be able to provide all the data and possibly ID your source.

-Doc

Options

134 Posts

10-22-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 18 of 35

2012-02-04, 4:11 AM

docbrown said:

bigach said:

Hey Doc, Welcome to the club.. I absolutely love my Xyboard 10.1 The reboots still happen... Sometimes multiple days in a row, sometimes not, yesterday it rebooted twice on me. I've pretty much decided that its a memory issue, I couldn't quite say what app causes it as there hasn't been a clear pattern, but some apps definitely instigate more than often, and I've stopped using some of them for good like the stock browser and google currents. It usually also happens when I have a lot of apps running all at the same time. I don't see why a software update couldn't fix this minor instability. Other than that, I'm still very happy with this product!

@bigach,

Have you tried using the app "SystemPanel" to monitor your resources (memory, cpu, space, etc)? You must turn on monitoring through the settings, it is off be default. When you get a reboot, then SystemPanel would be able to provide all the data and possibly ID your source.

-Doc

Doc,

I recall you saying that, but I have yet to try it.....  will download it right now, Any risk in giving this program a shot?  like will I suffery any battery loss due to the ongoing monitoring?  

Options

6817 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 19 of 35

2012-02-04, 5:36 AM

bigach said:

I recall you saying that, but I have yet to try it.....  will download it right now, Any risk in giving this program a shot?  like will I suffery any battery loss due to the ongoing monitoring?  

@bigach,

No real downside, the SystemPanel monitoring drains the battery about 1% per day, so that really shouldn't be noticeable. I leave it running 7x24 on all of my tablets.

-Doc

Options

134 Posts

10-22-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 20 of 35

2012-02-04, 5:48 AM

Doc - I've noticed that the free version of System Panel does not allow for system monitoring only the paid version.... any other alternative free software for monitoring?

Thank you again for your help!

(Yes I went and spent a million dollars on a Droid Xyboard 64 GB - but I'm hesitating to buy this app for $2.99 :-D   )

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms