Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA XOOM™ 2
All Forum Topics
Options

6817 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 21 of 35

Re: Frequent system hangs and reboots

2012-02-04, 6:03 AM

bigach said:

Doc - I've noticed that the free version of System Panel does not allow for system monitoring only the paid version.... any other alternative free software for monitoring?

Thank you again for your help!

(Yes I went and spent a million dollars on a Droid Xyboard 64 GB - but I'm hesitating to buy this app for $2.99 :-D   )

@bigach,

I don't know of any other app that will allow you to monitor and track the system resources and performance in the same way. You can still use it for free to view the data live, but identifying the issues would require a great deal more effort.

-Doc

Options

134 Posts

10-22-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 22 of 35

2012-02-06, 14:16 PM
  Hey Doc,

I went ahead and downloaded the paid version of systempanel..... Stupid question, but what am I looking for and where? I went ahead and turned on monitoring, but not sure where I should be looking for the results.

Thanks for your help.
Options

6817 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 23 of 35

2012-02-06, 21:03 PM

bigach said:

Hey Doc, I went ahead and downloaded the paid version of systempanel..... Stupid question, but what am I looking for and where? I went ahead and turned on monitoring, but not sure where I should be looking for the results. Thanks for your help.

Hello bigach,

After you turn on the monitoring (under the settings), then when you exit the app, it will continue to run in the system tray (you will see the icon in the lower right side of the screen bar). When you want to review the logs (after a reboot or other issue), simply open SystemPanel, bring up the menu and select review the monitoring history. Using the icons on this screen, you can see the apps, cpu utilization, battery, etc. Please let me know if you cannot find these options and I can provide the actual menu steps (need to walk through them tonight).

-Doc

Options

134 Posts

10-22-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 24 of 35

2012-02-06, 21:14 PM

Hey Doc,

Thanks for your reply.  I have Monitoring turned on and running.

But  I can't see the history review you are talking about, when I open up the app, I press menu, and click on "Monitor"

I have to things to see here:

Live and History...

When I click Live, I see CPU activity, Network, Memory, Internal Storage, Battery, Temperature... basically the status of my device at the moment.

When I click History, I see two options, Plot or Top Apps..

When i click Plot, I get four graphs: charging, battery charge, Device Usage, and CPU activity

When I click Top Apps, I see a list of the apps and a percentage of their CPU usage as well as a small timer I guess indicating how long its been active for?  like right now for System Processes it says 1.1%  15m 35s

Not sure what to make of all this, but I have yet to encounter a crash today so guess things will become clearer when that happens?

Thanks again for all of your help Doc!

Options

6817 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 25 of 35

2012-02-07, 6:53 AM

bigach said:

When I click History, I see two options, Plot or Top Apps..

When i click Plot, I get four graphs: charging, battery charge, Device Usage, and CPU activity

@bigach,

These four graphs will plot the usage across time. If an app causes your issues, it will show a spike in activity at the time you experience your issue. You can many times also find out if memory is running low (this shows issues with the stock browser memory leak).

When I click Top Apps, I see a list of the apps and a percentage of their CPU usage as well as a small timer I guess indicating how long its been active for?  like right now for System Processes it says 1.1%  15m 35s

This is the "smoking gun" history that will tell you what is running and consuming CPU cycles at any given time. If a rogue app consumes all you cpu and crashes the machine, you can see the culprit here.

I hope this helps and you are always quite welcome, I am glad to help.

-Doc

Options

2 Posts

06-02-2012

Spain

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 26 of 35

2012-06-02, 7:18 AM

My Xoom 2, as yours, continously hangs and reboots. I understand the necessity of control the memory and CPU usage to determine and find the error, but I disagree with the assumption that this is my job. Sorry, but I bought an expensive device that doesn't work properly, and I'm not going to do the motorola engineering team work.

I'm expecting any update from motorola that could solve the problem. How much time we must wait for?

Options

1 Posts

06-13-2012

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 27 of 35

2012-06-13, 14:25 PM

I just wanted to share with you my recent issue & solution to the XOOM 2 rebooting issue.
Now to give you an overview of my situation, I purchased the XOOM 2 10.1 UK back in January 2012.
I use it almost every single day. No surprises I was getting random screen freezing followed by reboots every single day. Most days twice!
Now I was hoping that when the update happen back around 2 months ago that it would solve this issue. It never.
In fact my freezing & reboots were happening more frequent. 
Basically within 5-10 mins of using the Xoom2 it would reboot. 
Some days I just wished I could throw the dam thing through the wall.
I rooted using Dan’s method. The only method. & tried various ways to solve the issue. 
NOTHING worked. 
In fact, I was convinced that my rooting & installing things that should not be there was making the reboots worse.
So I cleaned up my Xoom 2, went into recovery, wiped cache & cleaned data & rebooted. 
This still did not work.
Then I tried task managers, cache cleaners & even paid for that system panel app that logs all apps & usage. 
Nothing worked; I was still getting the reboots. Everyday.
So after looking over many Xoom 2 forums & with many issues and complaints about this issue, I was close to selling & getting an iPad. 
I was convinced it was hardware. 
Then I tried this way:
1. I rooted.
2. I installed ADW Launcher & made default.
3. I installed SetCPU
4. I installed Titanium Backup
5. I froze the stock ‘launcher’ – (whatever you do – do not un-install any app, you CANNOT update Xoom if you do)
6. I changed CPU from ‘hotplugmoto’ to ‘performance’ 1200min 1200max
(I know you might think this uses lots of battery but I found not)
7. Set up setCPU profile for ‘screen off’ I use ‘on demand / 300 to 600’
Battery over night on this setting did not go down by 1%
8. Rebooted.
After 4 days of constant use & trying so hard to get the Xoom to freeze & reboot – I can’t. 
This method works.

I have surfed using ‘Firefox’ while using ‘Currents’ while using ‘Google+’ while downloading files and steaming music via ‘Google Music’. I have open every single app & been quickly switching between them all trying to over load the system.
Nothing will freeze or reboot my XOOM 2. 
What I can get from this is that the Xoom 2 works perfectly. 
With the high CPU set, it is so fluid and lag free. It works almost perfectly now. It also means the hardware is absolutely fine. 
Maybe with newer firmware updates in the future this will be sorted naturally.
I makes me think something with the high CPU means a bug in the processing won’t make the Xoom freeze & reboot.
Until then this method works for me and I can’t see why it won’t work for you.
If you are having this issue I hope this helps.

Options

2 Posts

06-02-2012

Spain

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 28 of 35

2012-06-13, 14:51 PM

Vanpeebles, thanks a lot for your answer, I'll try to reproduce your steps.

However, the question behind is; why a final user needs to do this amount of work in order to work properly with this tablet? I'm sorry but I'm very disappointed with the Motorola's team. Maybe an answer explaining something like "we are working on this problem...", "we are trying to determine the problem...", or similar.

But, ....

Otherwise, I'll try to fix the problem as you have explained.

Best regards

Options

134 Posts

10-22-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 29 of 35

2012-06-13, 18:31 PM

Vanpeeble,

Thanks for your post.  

As a heads up, Motorola does not endorse Rooting - so be prepared to see your post deleted :-) lol

Until then, let me ask you this...  Why did you freeze the stock launcher and use ADW?  Was that just for personal preference? or do you believe this was a required step to reduce the system reboots?

Also, can  you explin the screen off step a bit further.  

Thanks.

Options

2 Posts

07-16-2012

Finland

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 30 of 35

2012-07-16, 18:29 PM

I have to say that this Xoom 2 has been worst piece of S*it i've bouht in years.  Constant crashings, boot loops etc.  I've had it two weeks and it has already been in service.  It crashed so badly that i couldn't even do a factory reset (before that i did four factory resets, until i found out that connectbot is messing it totally).   I have to say that i'm quite pissed.  I'm so sad that i didn't buy something else.  Best part was answer from service; Your device is ok.  Installed programs could cause problems.  AAARRRGHG.  I'm supposed to work with that machine but it is totally impossible. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms