United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 91 of 126

Re: ICS Issues, Questions and Tips -Xoom FE [Official]

2013-02-09, 4:37 AM

lancia74 said:

With Systempanel I saw that the Xoom believes that the battery suddenly is very low and it shuts it down. 

View original

@lancia74,

I have not seen this in SystemPanel at all, although my Xoom FE is not having the hanging or shutdown issues. If you have seen specific messages, please post screen shots so we can help interpret the information.

Googling it I saw that this was a common issue for the first releases of ICS for Tegra tablets, that it has been solved with a new system update.

http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/asus-transformer-tf101-help/16508-help-please-tf101-turns-itself-off-only-since-ics-update.html

http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/asus-transformer-tf101-help/18575-tf101-ics-shuts-down-when-not-being-used.html

The reason this was an issue for the ICS on the Transformer was due to it being one of the FIRST Android tablets on ICS, so most apps had not been updated yet for ICS. If you go to the end of those threads, you will see posts from Asus admins to that effect. In fact, many Transformer owners in those threads resolved their issues by removing certain apps that were causing the shutdowns.

The issue is exactly like the one we have and  it was fixed only after Asus release a new update of ICS.

If you read the release information for the Asus Transformer ICS update, it resolved issues with sound on the Transformer (after ICS, there was none).

There is something causing this issue for a segment of Xoom FE owners and not the entire population, so there has to be some common factor. I also have two other tablets and a Motorola phone all currently running ICS and none of them have any shutdown or freezing issues either.

-Doc

Options

72 Posts

11-24-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 92 of 126

2013-02-15, 4:07 AM

All-

So six days after the hard factory reset, I have again been met with the no-start bug. So after holding the power button for the now familiar 10 seconds, my XFE cold booted and showed 34% battery left.

I surrender.

I cannot resolve this issue on my own and without help from Google/Motorola I see no resolution.

I am grateful that with ICS I can run the Chrome browser, but that seems to be the limit of the benefit of ICS considering what ICS has broken.

J.Carpenter 

Options

46 Posts

10-27-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 93 of 126

2013-02-15, 8:24 AM

I also continue to have the no start bug after the factory reset and some basic apps installed (and no facebook and someone suggested). I tried also to use a battery calibration app but nothing changed (to do a real calibration you need root that is not available).

Considering that ICS was released officially more than one year ago and all the major apps have been updated, it's a broken update by Motorola.

The worse thing is that Moto doesnt care, no moderator showed up here and they don't even want to fix the spelling check (it's probably a 5 minutes job!)

If you remember same thing happened with the GPS problem (that would fill all the memory up), Motorola was supposedly looking into it and  the only way to fix was discovered by an user rooting the tablet.

This is the nail in the coffin for me, no more Motorola for me. 

Look also at the poor guys that bought the expensive Xyboard/Xoom 2. No Jelly bean and no support for them either. 

Google didnt understand that in the long term treating badly the users is not going to work, even if they are going to have better products in the future. 

Options

6817 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 94 of 126

2013-02-15, 14:35 PM

lancia74 said:

I also continue to have the no start bug after the factory reset and some basic apps installed (and no facebook and someone suggested). I tried also to use a battery calibration app but nothing changed (to do a real calibration you need root that is not available).

Considering that ICS was released officially more than one year ago and all the major apps have been updated, it's a broken update by Motorola.

View original

@lancia74,

Technically, the ICS update wasn't from Motorola, it was from Google and they have been evaluating what to do with the issues. The soak testing for ICS was conducted by Motorola, with Xoom FE forum members (here) that were signed up for the MFN. I don't know why the soak testing did not find these types of issues, especially the spell correction.

The worse thing is that Moto doesnt care, no moderator showed up here and they don't even want to fix the spelling check (it's probably a 5 minutes job!)

I am a moderator and I replied to your last post in early February, so we do show up here. However, I am not a Motorola employee, that would be Matt, the forum administrator. Matt cannot possibly read even a fraction of the threads here, but he does respond to customers regularly. From what I understand of the situation, Google is still reviewing the ICS defects that are logged on Google's Android development web site (after all, they are still the developers for the ICS upgrade).

Look also at the poor guys that bought the expensive Xyboard/Xoom 2. No Jelly bean and no support for them either.

I bought the XYBoard myself and I have had no issues running ICS on it so far and I do have support. The Motorola upgrade web page does not show the XYBoard as staying on ICS (any device that will not be updated are shown as "will remain on Android X.X.X"), so Jelly Bean may still be coming from Google.

I don't understand why some Xoom FE tablets have the "no start bug" and others (like mine) do not. I have tried my best to reproduce it on my own Xoom FE and have not experienced it to date. Maybe the inconsistency of the issue is making a fix from Google a challenge (since it would be applied to all Xoom FEs). The spell correction issue is more apparent and consistent, but Google has not announced any plans to address the defect on their development web site yet. I certainly understand (and share) everyone's frustration over the broken spelling correction, I personally decided to use a workaround in the interim.

-Doc

Options

6817 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 95 of 126

2013-02-15, 14:50 PM

j.carpenter said:

All-

So six days after the hard factory reset, I have again been met with the no-start bug. So after holding the power button for the now familiar 10 seconds, my XFE cold booted and showed 34% battery left.

I surrender.

I cannot resolve this issue on my own and without help from Google/Motorola I see no resolution.

I am grateful that with ICS I can run the Chrome browser, but that seems to be the limit of the benefit of ICS considering what ICS has broken.

J.Carpenter 

View original

@j.carpenter,

Out of curiosity, have you tried running any OS shell apps (such as TFS Shell)? I read that there have been a few Xoom FE owners with this same issue that report it goes away if you run another OS shell on the tablet. Since I have not had this issue myself, I have not been able to test this workaround to see if it really resolves the no-start issue. As I stated previously, hopefully Google development is working on a more permanent fix, but there's no additional details on their development web site.

-Doc

Options

72 Posts

11-24-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 96 of 126

2013-02-15, 17:19 PM

docbrown said:

j.carpenter said:

All-

I surrender.

J.Carpenter 

View original

@j.carpenter,

Out of curiosity, have you tried running any OS shell apps (such as TFS Shell)? I read that there have been a few Xoom FE owners with this same issue that report it goes away if you run another OS shell on the tablet. Since I have not had this issue myself, I have not been able to test this workaround to see if it really resolves the no-start issue. As I stated previously, hopefully Google development is working on a more permanent fix, but there's no additional details on their development web site.

-Doc

View original

Doc-

No, I have not installed any 3rd party shells or launchers.  I just looked at TFS Shell on Google Play and I am not interested in spending $16 to "debug" Google/Motorola base Android ICS software.

However, I am completely interested and willing in working with Google/Motorola developers to debug this problem.

I appreciate that you have offered suggestions as a moderator of this forum, however since you do not work for Google or Motorola, I see that you have been able to only offer suggestions to install someone else's software. I believe it is time for Google / Motorola to demonstrate an interest in their customers.

I also understand as you have stated multiple times, you do not have the no-start issue.  I get it.  Those of us who do need a better answer than "go by some replacement app to fix what Google broke."  I no longer find those types of suggestions helpful.

I will also contact Matt to see if he has made progress as an employee of Google/Motorola.

j.carpenter

Options

6 Posts

01-03-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 97 of 126

2013-02-15, 22:08 PM

Just off the phone with Level 3 support.  He said a few things that frighten me.  1) He has not heard of the spelling issue very many times - maybe 4 cases total.  2) He has not heard of the sleep issue at all.  3) There does not appear to be an update in the works.  4) Xoom FE is approaching end-of-life status (and we all know what that means...).

I encourage everyone to go open a ticket for each issue.  Maybe they will be encouraged to do something if there is critical mass.  They obviously don't care too much about the number of people in this thread - only the number of open tickets.

The process was fairly painless - I started with a web chat session where I got a case number and was quickly escalated to Level 2.  A phone call and 30 minutes got me escalated to Level 3.  Level 3 calls you back.  I'm probably an hour or two total into support calls, which at this point is probably less time than the total amount of time I have spent waiting for the thing to boot after it won't come out of sleep...

At this point, they are recommending 3rd party keyboards to fix the spelling issue and they have no recommendation for the sleep issue other than "reset it" or send it in for warranty service as a suspected hardware issue.

Options

6817 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 98 of 126

2013-02-16, 20:20 PM

null

docbrown said:

j.carpenter said:

All-

I surrender.

J.Carpenter 

View original

@j.carpenter,

-Doc

View original

Doc-

No, I have not installed any 3rd party shells or launchers.  I just looked at TFS Shell on Google Play and I am not interested in spending $16 to "debug" Google/Motorola base Android ICS software.

However, I am completely interested and willing in working with Google/Motorola developers to debug this problem.

I appreciate that you have offered suggestions as a moderator of this forum, however since you do not work for Google or Motorola, I see that you have been able to only offer suggestions to install someone else's software. I believe it is time for Google / Motorola to demonstrate an interest in their customers.

I also understand as you have stated multiple times, you do not have the no-start issue.  I get it.  Those of us who do need a better answer than "go by some replacement app to fix what Google broke."  I no longer find those types of suggestions helpful.

I will also contact Matt to see if he has made progress as an employee of Google/Motorola.

j.carpenter

View original

@j.carpenter,

I am not suggesting that you buy software to resolve an issue, I am simply trying to help troubleshoot and isolate the issue. There are other OS shells that you can try for free and I was trying to determine if the OS being idle and moving to sleep mode (by itself) was causing the issue. There also has to be some reason why some Xoom FEs have this issue with ICS and others do not, perhaps there are different hardware revisions for some component.

I do understand your frustration, but this is a peer to peer support forum that is moderated by volunteer Moto XPRTs, this forum is not staffed by Motorola or Google associates. Matt and Moto XPRTs (like myself) often provide feedback to Google on Android OS issues, but those types of Android defects are managed on the Google development site, not here. I have added feedback to open cases for these issues at Google, mostly from research on my Xoom FE and from owners here on the forum. Sorry if you don't find the work we do here helpful, but that is the intent and design of this support forum.

-Doc

Options

6817 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 99 of 126

2013-02-16, 20:40 PM

null

Just off the phone with Level 3 support.  He said a few things that frighten me.  1) He has not heard of the spelling issue very many times - maybe 4 cases total.  2) He has not heard of the sleep issue at all.  3) There does not appear to be an update in the works.  4) Xoom FE is approaching end-of-life status (and we all know what that means...).

I encourage everyone to go open a ticket for each issue.  Maybe they will be encouraged to do something if there is critical mass.  They obviously don't care too much about the number of people in this thread - only the number of open tickets.

The process was fairly painless - I started with a web chat session where I got a case number and was quickly escalated to Level 2.  A phone call and 30 minutes got me escalated to Level 3.  Level 3 calls you back.  I'm probably an hour or two total into support calls, which at this point is probably less time than the total amount of time I have spent waiting for the thing to boot after it won't come out of sleep...

At this point, they are recommending 3rd party keyboards to fix the spelling issue and they have no recommendation for the sleep issue other than "reset it" or send it in for warranty service as a suspected hardware issue.

View original

@jimbodude,

These issues are defects for Google development of Android, they are not Motorola defects for hardware or firmware issues. That may have been why the L3 person was not aware of the open defects with Google development. However, it is certainly a good idea to open support tickets anyway, so that Motorola can track all of the open issues with the Xoom FE. You can also provide feedback in defect threads (there are thousands of them) on the Google development web site.

-Doc

Options

6 Posts

01-03-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 100 of 126

2013-02-19, 3:30 AM

null

null

View original

@jimbodude,

These issues are defects for Google development of Android, they are not Motorola defects for hardware or firmware issues. That may have been why the L3 person was not aware of the open defects with Google development. However, it is certainly a good idea to open support tickets anyway, so that Motorola can track all of the open issues with the Xoom FE. You can also provide feedback in defect threads (there are thousands of them) on the Google development web site.

-Doc

View original

Well seeing as Motorola is the only company that can push software to me device they are the people to try to work with...  Do you have any references for these issues from official Android bugs that we can pass along to someone who can solve the issues?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete