0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 101 of 126

Re: ICS Issues, Questions and Tips -Xoom FE [Official]

2013-02-19, 15:51 PM

null

null

null

Just off the phone with Level 3 support.  He said a few things that frighten me.  1) He has not heard of the spelling issue very many times - maybe 4 cases total.  2) He has not heard of the sleep issue at all.  3) There does not appear to be an update in the works.  4) Xoom FE is approaching end-of-life status (and we all know what that means...).

I encourage everyone to go open a ticket for each issue.  Maybe they will be encouraged to do something if there is critical mass.  They obviously don't care too much about the number of people in this thread - only the number of open tickets.

The process was fairly painless - I started with a web chat session where I got a case number and was quickly escalated to Level 2.  A phone call and 30 minutes got me escalated to Level 3.  Level 3 calls you back.  I'm probably an hour or two total into support calls, which at this point is probably less time than the total amount of time I have spent waiting for the thing to boot after it won't come out of sleep...

At this point, they are recommending 3rd party keyboards to fix the spelling issue and they have no recommendation for the sleep issue other than "reset it" or send it in for warranty service as a suspected hardware issue.

View original

@jimbodude,

These issues are defects for Google development of Android, they are not Motorola defects for hardware or firmware issues. That may have been why the L3 person was not aware of the open defects with Google development. However, it is certainly a good idea to open support tickets anyway, so that Motorola can track all of the open issues with the Xoom FE. You can also provide feedback in defect threads (there are thousands of them) on the Google development web site.

-Doc

View original

Well seeing as Motorola is the only company that can push software to me device they are the people to try to work with...  Do you have any references for these issues from official Android bugs that we can pass along to someone who can solve the issues?

View original

@jimbodude,

Technically, that's not correct. I help customers get their tablets updated all the time and while Motorola Techs help to track down the communication and hardware issues, Google has to actually "push" any Android images to individual tablets. All Android ROMs are authored by Google and then tested by Service Providers (for 3G/4G connected devices) and then Motorola (for end user soak tests). Google has an Android development and open source web sites that track thousands of defects that span multiple versions of Android across multiple device and manufacturers. A few months ago, someone had sent me the URL for the open dictionary defect for ICS on the Xoom FE, but I am not seeing it right now when searching for open defects for the dictionary, so hopefully it hasn't been closed (there are currently over 105 open defects for the dictionary). There are many sleep-related defects already open, though Google stresses that app compatibility is a leading cause for these types of issues after Android upgrades (hence why I have been troubleshooting here to get more details on why it affects some and not others).

There are currently 23,572 total open Android defects on the Google official web site: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/list?can=2&q=type%3DDefect&colspec=ID+Type+Status+Owner+Summary+Stars&cells=tiles

-Doc

Options

6 Posts

01-03-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 102 of 126

2013-02-19, 18:39 PM

Doc, appreciate your insight.  If all this is true, then we should be opening new tickets with Android development and we should all "star" them, no?  I was unable to find anything related to the spelling bug or the "stuck in sleep" bug in my searches.  Does anyone have a reference to an open issue for either problem in Android?

Is sounds like everyone who has opened a ticket with Motorola is no longer making any progress, including me.  It seems to me like it is time to formalize and document where we are with this and try to escallate it somewhere new.  We've been having issues for months across many individual devices.  We're talking about thousands of dollars worth of equipment that is not operating correctly.  Motorola tech support clearly isn't going to do anything for us, even though many of us are still under warranty.  If what Doc says is correct, it is probably worth finding or opening issues against Android for these problems and getting recognition.

Doc, on 9-November, you reported that Google and Motorola were aware of the spelling issue and working on it.  Is there some official reference (issue number, ticket number, chat reference...) that confirms that?

Is anyone able to find any reference to these issues on an official bug report to Android or Motorola?  So far, I am not.  If that continues, we should open new tickets and try to get them some attention.

Options

2 Posts

02-19-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 103 of 126

2013-02-19, 20:22 PM

Hi. Can someone help me out...I've noticed for quite a while that my FE doesn't have any memory. I experienced the endless "calculating" everyone else has mentioned and finally the numbers popped up...but they don't add up. Any idea why the memory is almost exhausted? And if there's som way to free up memory please let me know. Thanks!

Options

72 Posts

11-24-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 104 of 126

2013-02-19, 21:09 PM

No resume / No start again today while XFE was plugged in overnight for charging.  Unplugged charger held power button to cold boot.

Options

6817 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 105 of 126

2013-02-20, 15:20 PM

null

Hi. Can someone help me out...I've noticed for quite a while that my FE doesn't have any memory. I experienced the endless "calculating" everyone else has mentioned and finally the numbers popped up...but they don't add up. Any idea why the memory is almost exhausted? And if there's som way to free up memory please let me know. Thanks!

View original

Hello MrsWilliams1220,

The memory allocation issue for the Xoom FE was related to the GPS storing constant data (when turned on) under Android 3.x (Honeycomb). Once Xoom FE owners began upgrading to ICS, this storage issue apparently went away. Are you currently running ICS (Android 4.0.4)? When the GPS data was reserved under Honeycomb, Xoom FE owners found that rebooting (powering off then back on) or doing a Hard Reset would free up the reserved memory. In addition, if you left the GPS turned off when not in use under Honeycomb, the data issue would not occur.

Here is the thread where this issue is discussed in more detail: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/8ec8aa5a74?page=5

-Doc

Options

6817 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 106 of 126

2013-02-20, 16:13 PM

null

Doc, appreciate your insight.  If all this is true, then we should be opening new tickets with Android development and we should all "star" them, no?  I was unable to find anything related to the spelling bug or the "stuck in sleep" bug in my searches.  Does anyone have a reference to an open issue for either problem in Android?

Is sounds like everyone who has opened a ticket with Motorola is no longer making any progress, including me.  It seems to me like it is time to formalize and document where we are with this and try to escallate it somewhere new.  We've been having issues for months across many individual devices.  We're talking about thousands of dollars worth of equipment that is not operating correctly.  Motorola tech support clearly isn't going to do anything for us, even though many of us are still under warranty.  If what Doc says is correct, it is probably worth finding or opening issues against Android for these problems and getting recognition.

Doc, on 9-November, you reported that Google and Motorola were aware of the spelling issue and working on it.  Is there some official reference (issue number, ticket number, chat reference...) that confirms that?

Is anyone able to find any reference to these issues on an official bug report to Android or Motorola?  So far, I am not.  If that continues, we should open new tickets and try to get them some attention.

View original

@jimbodude,

I am always glad to share my perspective, both as an SME and a fellow Xoom FE owner. IMHO, it is difficult to resolve these types of issues if you don't know the source (i.e. hardware versus software or Operating System). In a similar comparison, if you owned a Dell PC running Windows 7 and received a Service Pack update from Microsoft that caused you dictionary or system shutdown issues, you would likely open a defect with Microsoft (source of the issue) rather than Dell, though they would want to know an issue exists. When you open a ticket with Motorola, they will troubleshoot the issue from a system standpoint and if it is deemed Android OS related, the issue is (somehow) communicated to Google development (same as Dell might send an email to Microsoft about that Service Pack issue). IMHO, third party communications of issues are not as visible to the end consumer.

Back in November, Matt (the Motorola forum administrator) was made aware of these two reported issues and escalated them to Motorola Techs (whom I worked with to research some details around the symptoms and root cause). The dictionary issue was found to be Android OS related and a defect was opened with Google development, though I cannot find it myself on their site (as I mentioned above) so maybe it has been closed or moved. The sleep/shutdown issue has been more sporadic and does not affect all Xoom FE owners, so that's why we have continued to look for a common cause. However, the issue clearly began occurring after the Android upgrade, so obviously it is somehow related to third party apps or the OS. Again, several people reported seeing a defect for this issue on the Google development web site a couple months ago, but I cannot locate that one either (though there are many other Android sleep and hanging related issues).

IMHO, I always suggest opening tickets for Android OS defects that cause system-specific issues, this is the only way that Android development knows they exist. As you mentioned, the more comments and traffic that are reported under an open defect, the more visibility and attention from Google development. If you look through some of the other (similar) Android defects on the site, you will get an idea of what information and details they are looking for (many times using utilities to gather info). If you decide to open new defects, we can post the links here and ask Xoom FE owners with either of these issues to share their experiences and details on that site.

-Doc

Options

78 Posts

02-04-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 107 of 126

2013-02-20, 17:51 PM

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to provide an update of my experience with the spell check and shutdown bug that has been plaguing so many Xoom FE owners.  

I reached out to Moto support several times in the last couple of months regarding the spell check issue.  In fact, my case is still open because I am not letting them close it.  L3 support has no answers at all and they have told me there is no update in the works for Xoom FE to address the problem.  Obviously that is not an acceptable answer.  I continue pressing to speak to a supervisor, but that has turned up empty so far.  I have also resorted to opening up a BBB complaint against Moto regarding their lack of support for this issue.  They should at least be transparent and let us know the deal. Instead support gives "oh well, it is what is" type answers to us.  I also plan to open up a PA consumer protection law complaint against Moto for their support of the device.  Although the defect is with ICS, Moto should still be representing their customers to get us a fix.  I'll keep everyone in the loop on my progress.

As for the no start issue, i have always had that since I got the device. I haven't had ithe issue in awhile, but that's because I haven't really used the device recently, but I plan to start using it again for work. So I'll keep everyone in the loop.

Doc, just to be clear, as a Windows Sys Admin for over 10 years, I can honestly say the process is much smoother reporting issues to Microsoft for software bugs.  They at least address them.  In some cases, the very next day.  Google has been horrid with coming up with fixes.  Its a very slow process.  

Options

6817 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 108 of 126

2013-02-21, 7:03 AM

Doc, just to be clear, as a Windows Sys Admin for over 10 years, I can honestly say the process is much smoother reporting issues to Microsoft for software bugs.  They at least address them.  In some cases, the very next day.  Google has been horrid with coming up with fixes.  Its a very slow process.

@Jimpala,

My own personal IT experience predates Windows (and even the PC), I was using MS-DOS when Windows 1.0 was first introduced (I was actually a beta tester in 1985). I watched Microsoft go through very similar growing pains as the Windows ecosystem was also in its infancy. Yes, Microsoft today has has ~32 years of maturation under its belt and their experience has evolved better support practices over time. By comparison, the Google Android OS has only been around for ~5 years and the ecosystem lacks the process maturity and refined standards.

The Google development web site for Android allows end users to report defects and issues, but the shear volume of an open reporting system can cause its own challenges. I still suggest using their system and provide the feedback if you find it doesn't work for you, that's exactly how Microsoft (and Apple) evolved and honed their own support processes - based on continual end user feedback.

-Doc

Options

2 Posts

02-19-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 109 of 126

2013-02-21, 13:29 PM

Hello MrsWilliams1220,

The memory allocation issue for the Xoom FE was related to the GPS storing constant data (when turned on) under Android 3.x (Honeycomb). Once Xoom FE owners began upgrading to ICS, this storage issue apparently went away. Are you currently running ICS (Android 4.0.4)? When the GPS data was reserved under Honeycomb, Xoom FE owners found that rebooting (powering off then back on) or doing a Hard Reset would free up the reserved memory. In addition, if you left the GPS turned off when not in use under Honeycomb, the data issue would not occur.

Here is the thread where this issue is discussed in more detail: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/8ec8aa5a74?page=5

-Doc

View original

Hi Doc, Yes, I'm running ICS. Rebooting hasn't helped the issue. I will review the thread you mentioned. Thanks.

Options

10 Posts

05-23-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 110 of 126

2013-04-16, 18:47 PM

Need some help I have purchased 2 different micro USB to USB cables both claim to be Sync, data and charge one claimed it was for Motorola devices. Neither worked ne actually was discharging the battery the other (the Motorola?) Only charged when the tablet is off and then very slowly. It seems to me that UB 2.0 cables should all be the same. What os the difference and how do you tell which to purchase?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete