Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA XOOM™ Family Edition
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

08-14-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 31 of 126

Re: ICS Issues, Questions and Tips -Xoom FE [Official]

2012-11-10, 1:10 AM

Hi Carpenter

I'm having the same issue and on the phone with Motorola now.  They are clueless.

j.carpenter said:

UPDATE: Dictionary / Spell Check Issue

MTS still insists that I perform a factory reset before going further because MTS could not duplicate the error. I asked what would be the next steps if a factory reset does not work and was told I would have to send in my Xoom FE so MTS can remove the software and load it with another version of ICS because it cannot be fixed otherwise.

I asked:

1. Can they flag my system for retry of the OTA update? No

2. Can they provide a patch? No

3. Can they provide a downloadable ICS image to me? No

4. Can they remote into my Xoom FE and confirm dictionary file or size or other evidence of corruption? No, there is no remote for ICS only Jelly Bean

I was told my only option if the factory reset does not work is to send in the device.

I explained that others on the forums have had the problem and a reset did not fix the issue. I explained that others have corrected the problem by downloading and installing another dictionary but that requires “Root”. MTS said they do not read the forums or trust it for accuracy.

At this point will wait until Friday of this week before making a decision. I will then call to see if others have reported the issue to Motorola, possibly someone willing to do a reset. Please if you have this issue call and report it.

I realize to MTS a factory reset is trivial, to me it is NOT. Having worked in a support role I understand why it is suggested. I also understand through experience that there are many other avenues to solve a problem and a reset should not be the “first step”. For me the first step is always seeking to understand exactly what is broken and why.

Thanks,

j.carpenter

View original

Options

3 Posts

08-14-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 32 of 126

2012-11-10, 1:34 AM

Has there been a fix to the screen issue?  My screen not powering back up is getting worse.

Options

72 Posts

11-24-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 33 of 126

2012-11-13, 3:59 AM

Recent Apps list leaves artifact on screen.

When scrolling the recent apps list with more apps on the list that will fit on the screen, there are artifacts left at the bottom of the screen. To recreate:

• Open several apps

• Swipe or fling the list downward to see the oldest app at the top of the list

• Now scroll back up and you will see artifacts in the navigation area

In the picture you can see artifact of the Chrome browser at the bottom of the screen.

Options

72 Posts

11-24-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 34 of 126

2012-11-13, 21:54 PM

UPDATE: Dictionary / Spell Check issue

Greetings all, I want to report that I am making progress.  As Doc mentioned in an earlier post Motorola and Google are investigating the issue with the Spell Check.

Today I have had several email exchanges providing details and example screenshots (love that feature) of my Xoom FE showing the problem in various apps.  I am beginning to feel more confident that this problem will be addressed.  As Doc also mentioned it is going to take a bit of time.

More to come.

j.carpenter

Options

4 Posts

11-06-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 35 of 126

2012-11-14, 1:19 AM

Question Does any one know if Motorola and Google Know or are investigating the Power issue? it soulds like im not the only one having this issue.

Whats happening on my tablet is i leave it on over night, a couple apps running, full battery, in the morning it has powered off. I have to hold down the power button for ten seconds for it to come back on ( ive try for 5 sec. nothing it has to be 10 seconds.)

this was not happening before the update.

Thanks

Options

72 Posts

11-24-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 36 of 126

2012-11-14, 2:33 AM

@FETablet,

I have had this issue once since the update.  I set my Xoom down for the night with plenty of battery, got up the next day and it was unresponsive.  The only way I could get it to do anything was to plug in the charger.  Then when it did boot, I saw that it had 23% battery left.  Strange.

It has not happened again, and I do not know if Motorola is taking a look at the issue.

j.carpenter

Options

16 Posts

11-17-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 37 of 126

2012-11-14, 14:59 PM

FETablet said:

Question Does any one know if Motorola and Google Know or are investigating the Power issue? it soulds like im not the only one having this issue.

Whats happening on my tablet is i leave it on over night, a couple apps running, full battery, in the morning it has powered off. I have to hold down the power button for ten seconds for it to come back on ( ive try for 5 sec. nothing it has to be 10 seconds.)

Thanks

View original

I'm definitely having this issue as well.  It doesn't happen every time but I have noticed that sometimes after being plugged in all night my tablet will be off in the morning when I go to grab it.  It does seem to take a longer time pressing the power button than a usual 'reboot' to revive it.  This may have happened in other circumstances other than being plugged in all night but I can't verify right now.  I'll keep a lookout and update if I've noticed any other unexpected power downs.

I'm loving the ICS update generally though.  Hoping these issues (spell check and power is all I've seen) will be sorted out.

Options

6817 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 38 of 126

2012-11-14, 15:48 PM

yobyeknom said:

FETablet said:

Thanks

View original

I'm definitely having this issue as well.  It doesn't happen every time but I have noticed that sometimes after being plugged in all night my tablet will be off in the morning when I go to grab it.  It does seem to take a longer time pressing the power button than a usual 'reboot' to revive it.  This may have happened in other circumstances other than being plugged in all night but I can't verify right now.  I'll keep a lookout and update if I've noticed any other unexpected power downs.

I'm loving the ICS update generally though.  Hoping these issues (spell check and power is all I've seen) will be sorted out.

View original

All,

This issue has not happened on my Xoom FE even once yet. I charge my Xoom FE every night and my family use it nearly every day. So far, it has awakened normally from the sleep state every time, no powering off  or reboot since the ICS upgrade. It sounds like it is a common issue for some owners (any common factors?), but not 100% of the upgrade population.

-Doc

Options

6817 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 39 of 126

2012-11-14, 16:03 PM

FETablet said:

Thanks

View original

@FETablet,

Motorola does keep an eye on issues that are raised on the forums and escalated by Moto XPRTs, though many issues post-upgrades can stem from application version issues (apps that do not automatically update and are not compatible with the newly updated OS). Since this specific issue does not impact ALL upgraded tablets, there must be a root cause that is a common thread (such as an app, system situation or tablet state).

Have you tried running a monitoring application, such as SystemPanel, in background to see what is running at the time of shutdown that has cpu or memory activity just before the power off?

-Doc

Options

2 Posts

11-14-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 40 of 126

2012-11-14, 19:20 PM

Has anyone tried to print since the ICS upgrade? My Motoprint disappeared after the update and I can not install it from Google play. I have tried both, the FE and the none FE versions and when they go to install there is an error.

This is the only problem I am still having. I have had just about every problem that has been discussed here since the update but they all just slowly went away.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms