0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 81 of 126

Re: ICS Issues, Questions and Tips -Xoom FE [Official]

2013-01-23, 21:26 PM

SJM said:

Hey all,

I just wanted to chime in and add my voice to the broken spellcheck list. I have experienced the same problem since the upgrade. 

I have a few other issues that have popped up since the ICS update as well.

1. My galley app won't properly sync with my Picasa account. It "sees" that the online albums are there, but won't display images. I've read about other uses having this problem elsewhere on the Web. This issue is the biggest thorn in my side, since I used to use the tablet as my primary photo viewer. Not having that feature is a big let down. 

2. In the app setting menu, the file/memory size never of each app never calculates. They get caught in a never ending "calculation"... 

To me, it feels like Motorola rushed this update out the door to fulfill its promises & has all but abandoned its older hardware. They have done basically the same thing with some of their higher profile phones as well.                                                                                                               ' ,,,,,    -----------_----__--------------------......................................?.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.a,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.      .......OK SO THE ONLY WAY TO EVEN QUOTE A PREVIOUS POST WHILE USING THE XOOMFE WITH ICS IS THIS DISGUSTING CREATION YOU ARE PRESENTLY VIEWING, I APOLOGIZE FOR THE CAPSLOCK BUT IT IS THE ONLY WAY TO DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN MY POST AND THE QUOTED TEXT.  YES, I TRIED ANDROID BROWSER, DOLPHIN BROWSER, FIREFOX BETA AND OPERA.  YES, I HAVE USED FORUMS AND BBS AND EVERY OTHER SOFTWARE KNOWN TO MAN FOR A DECADE OR MORE.  YES, IM NOT AN IDIOT.  ALSO PLEASE FORGIVE ANY MISSPELLINGS AS MY TABLET NO LONGER SUPPORTS SPELLCHECKING!?!!  I CANNOT CREATE ANOTHER PARAGRAPH ASTHE "ENTER" BUTTON DOES NOTHING WITHIN TH;S MOTOROLA FORUM SOFTWARE.  UN-FRIGGIN-BELIEVABLE.          ISSUES SO FAR SINCE ICS UPDATE: 1. spellcheck dictionary totally broken,  2. memory usage calculations always 0 kb,   3. flash totally buggy across all browsers ( worked fine with honeycomb) ,   4. random black screen and/or powerdown and buggy repowering functions (ie requires user to hold power button down for extended periods or plug in charger )      5. Google Play Music Player(great name btw) widget now disappears down in toolbar when pausing music, so if you pause music from toolbar, you must now go to main desktop widget to restart..just dumb

(YES I PRESSED THE SPACE BAR 1000 TIMES TO ACHIEVE A NEW LINE HERE, BRILLIANT!)  - EITHER REFUND OUR MONEY,  ALLOW FULL ROOT PERMISSION, ROLLBACK TO HONEYCOMB, OR FIX THE ISSUES IMMEDIATELY.  OTHERWISE, WE WILL BE LEFT WITH NO OPTION OTHER THAN CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT, DISSUADING EVERY SINGLE PERSON WE KNOW AND IN ALL AVAILABLE PUBLIC FORUMS AGAINST PURCHASE OF ANY MOTOROLA DEVICE NOW OR IN THE FUTURE, AND/OR TAKING AN AXE TO THIS LARGELY UNUSABLE CRAPLET.  THIS IS UTTERLY RIDICULOUS....SPELLCHECK!!??BROKEN FOR MONTHS NOW!!????    THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR PROMPT ATTENTION AND YES I AM EXTREMELY IRRITATED WITH THE HOURS OF FRUSTRATION MOTOROLA HAS CAUSED MYSELF AND MANY OTHERS....YOU HAVE OUR MONEY, NOW DELIVER!

edited to add - I was able to actually edit this post somewhat better by using the "source" button in the toolbar and working within html....whatever,,anyone want to buy a xoomFE (slight axe scuff marks)?

Options

72 Posts

11-24-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 82 of 126

2013-01-28, 16:56 PM

docbrown said:

Brianbyui said:

docbrown said:

Brianbyui said:

pxl said:

i am also having the no-start issue after i turn it off. i need to plug it in to start it up and when i started it, it still had 25% battery on it it.

View original

Hey, this same thing has been happening to me for a long time. Even before ics It happened to me. I found for me I don't have to plug It in to turn It on, I just hold down the power button for about 10 seconds then release for just a second and then hold It again for about 10 seconds then release and I repeat this until I see the motorola startup screen. That has always worked for me. 

View original

Hello Brianbyui,

Are you shutting off your Xoom FE or placing it in standby (sleep) mode? I very rarely ever turn my Xoom FE off, it is used all day by my family and it goes in sleep mode on the charger when not in use. The couple of times I have powered it down, it has come back on after holding down the power button for 3-5 seconds, but that seems normal to me. I have other Xoom tablets and they require the same ~5 seconds to cold boot (though all of them stay in sleep mode most of the time). Do you have any issues waking up your Xoom FE from the sleep mode?

-Doc

View original

Hey doc, the poblem only happens when I leave the tablet in sleep mode. It will randomly shut itself off and not turn on unless I hold the power button for 10 seconds and release then press again and repeat this till it powers on. I have never had a problem starting it after I manually shut it off.

View original

Hello Brianbyui,

Just catching up from holiday vacations. So when you reboot the tablet (hold power for 10+ seconds) after it randomly shuts itself off, you are getting a COLD boot (logos, full boot cycle), is that correct?

-Doc

View original

Everyone,

I am still having the "no-start", "no-resume" from standby or sleep mode problem.  After reading the thread of comments, I performed a test last night and put my Xoom FE in airplane mode before setting it down for the evening.  I had 75% battery at the time. So I don't think it is WiFi related.

This morning it would not resume or awake and appeared hung.  My only option for recovery is to hold the powerbutton for a reset.  The device then booted and showed 68% battery.

This problem of not resuming from standby, or hanging, or permasleep is becoming a daily occurence on my Xoom FE.  I am finding that when I pick it up for quick access, I have to wait for the reset / reboot cycle.  

I did NOT have this problem ever with Honeycomb.

Options

6817 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 83 of 126

2013-01-28, 18:08 PM

j.carpenter said:

View original

Everyone,

I am still having the "no-start", "no-resume" from standby or sleep mode problem.  After reading the thread of comments, I performed a test last night and put my Xoom FE in airplane mode before setting it down for the evening.  I had 75% battery at the time. So I don't think it is WiFi related.

This morning it would not resume or awake and appeared hung.  My only option for recovery is to hold the powerbutton for a reset.  The device then booted and showed 68% battery.

This problem of not resuming from standby, or hanging, or permasleep is becoming a daily occurence on my Xoom FE.  I am finding that when I pick it up for quick access, I have to wait for the reset / reboot cycle.  

I did NOT have this problem ever with Honeycomb.

View original

Hello j.carpenter,

I am still suspect of whether this issue is related to a specific application that is misbehaving after the upgrade to ICS. I have put my Xoom FE through the paces and I do not have the same sleep issues, whether using the Kid Mode software or not. I do have the spelling issue and there are some very quick video transition "artifacts" when changing some screens (not a biggie for me). Aside from those two issues, my Xoom FE is operating the same as it did prior to the update. However, I have a much less apps installed on the XFE versus my Xoom LTE, since it is used mostly for my kids (and testing stuff here). I am trying to figure out a way to pinpoint the originating process or app that is shutting down the XFE during sleep mode. Do you happen to have SystemPanel or another utility that can track system activity in background during sleep mode?

-Doc

Options

4 Posts

11-06-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 84 of 126

2013-02-05, 4:43 AM

Still having the (((power or no start issue))),  its getting really old now,

i have turned the tablet off charged it fully turned it back on, and didnt open any apps. left it on while i went to work when i got home it was not responsive i had to hold the power button down for TEN seconds, then it turned on. 

Is there anything i can do to fix this? im thinking about doing a restore, (will this work)

Options

46 Posts

10-27-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 85 of 126

2013-02-06, 8:48 AM

Restore will not solve the issue. I already did it twice and still have the power issue on daily basis. I had it also with just the basic apps related so it is not due to some app misbehaving but it's a system problem.

With Systempanel I saw that the Xoom believes that the battery suddenly is very low and it shuts it down. 

Googling it I saw that this was a common issue for the first releases of ICS for Tegra tablets, that it has been solved with a new system update.

So we waited months to get the ICS update, and notwithstanding that we got a broken one from Motorola. Good job!

They did not even care to check the update once because the spelling problem is so evident! 

Obviously I do not expect Moto to fix this given their no existing customer service, I just suggest to everyone to look somewhere else for their next purchases.

Options

6 Posts

01-03-2013

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 86 of 126

2013-02-06, 21:01 PM

lancia74 said:

With Systempanel I saw that the Xoom believes that the battery suddenly is very low and it shuts it down. 

Googling it I saw that this was a common issue for the first releases of ICS for Tegra tablets, that it has been solved with a new system update.

View original

Do you have a link to where you found that information?

Options

72 Posts

11-24-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 87 of 126

2013-02-06, 22:26 PM

docbrown said:

Do you happen to have SystemPanel or another utility that can track system activity in background during sleep mode?

-Doc

View original

@Doc,

I do not have SystemPanel installed but I will do so if that will help identify the problem.  As a matter of fact, I just picked up my Xoom FE from yesterday after seeing the notes today and AGAIN, it was hung and would not resume or start.  I held in the power button for about 10 seconds and tried again and it cold booted (like always with this issue) and shows 30% battery.

I am loosing any confidence that Google/Motorola will take ANY action to fix this problem even if we on this forum troubleshoot it for them.  I say that especially after getting the response from Level 3 that the dictionary issue will not be fixed and I am recommended to install a 3rd party keyboard/dictionary to fix it.

Please be specific as to what app I need to install and the settings to track what is causing the shutdown or hang.  I call it a hang because you have to hard reset the power to get it to boot, so it does not appear to be a "normal" shutdown if that is in fact what is happening.

I also have another XFE in my home still on Honeycomb and I do not want to update it until this mess is corrected.

The two major issues are the start/resume hang and the dictionary.  The start/resume is a real serious impact to use.  The dictionary, now turned off, is a nuisance that should have been tested by Google/Motorola.

Thanks

Options

46 Posts

10-27-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 88 of 126

2013-02-07, 8:25 AM

@Jimbodude,

you can just google "ICS tablet turns itself off"

A couple of results:

http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/asus-transformer-tf101-help/16508-help-please-tf101-turns-itself-off-only-since-ics-update.html

http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/asus-transformer-tf101-help/18575-tf101-ics-shuts-down-when-not-being-used.html

The issue is exactly like the one we have and  it was fixed only after Asus release a new update of ICS.

Options

72 Posts

11-24-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 89 of 126

2013-02-08, 19:48 PM

All,

I finally performed a hard factory reset using the hardware buttons.  Just as I suspected on November 1, 2012, it did not correct the dictionary problem for me.  Other have also reported the same result, the dictionary spell check is still broken. It has also been reported to me and others that Google/Motorola has no intention of correcting this code bug for XFE owners.

The ONLY reason I performed the reset is in the hopes of resolving the no-start, no-resume, power-off, hang issue.  I will report back to this forum if the XFE shuts down or gets in the no-resume state.

Thanks

Options

6817 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 90 of 126

2013-02-09, 4:20 AM

j.carpenter said:

docbrown said:

Do you happen to have SystemPanel or another utility that can track system activity in background during sleep mode?

-Doc

View original

@Doc,

I do not have SystemPanel installed but I will do so if that will help identify the problem.  As a matter of fact, I just picked up my Xoom FE from yesterday after seeing the notes today and AGAIN, it was hung and would not resume or start.  I held in the power button for about 10 seconds and tried again and it cold booted (like always with this issue) and shows 30% battery.

I am loosing any confidence that Google/Motorola will take ANY action to fix this problem even if we on this forum troubleshoot it for them.  I say that especially after getting the response from Level 3 that the dictionary issue will not be fixed and I am recommended to install a 3rd party keyboard/dictionary to fix it.

Please be specific as to what app I need to install and the settings to track what is causing the shutdown or hang.  I call it a hang because you have to hard reset the power to get it to boot, so it does not appear to be a "normal" shutdown if that is in fact what is happening.

I also have another XFE in my home still on Honeycomb and I do not want to update it until this mess is corrected.

The two major issues are the start/resume hang and the dictionary.  The start/resume is a real serious impact to use.  The dictionary, now turned off, is a nuisance that should have been tested by Google/Motorola.

Thanks

View original

Hello j.carpenter,

SystemPanel is an app in the Google Market that allows you to monitor the Android system and application activity in the background. If you find that your Xoom FE does not have the shutdown or hang issue after the Factory Reset and with NO apps installed, then this monitoring app can identify the culprit. Without any doubt, my Xoom FE does not have this issue and has never had it to date. However, my Xoom FE is used mostly for educational software and games that my kids use every day, so there could be other apps that are causing instability after the upgrade to ICS. Like everyone else, I do not know the fate of the Android defect causing the dictionary issue. Since I use my Xoom FE for specific apps that do not rely on the Android dictionary, this is less of an issue for me personally, but I know it is a major inconvenience to many owners.

-Doc

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete