07-18-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 70

Low Storage / Memory Issue

2012-07-18, 19:34 PM

Has anyone found a solution to the issue of LOW STORAGE conditions that appear mysteriously over time of using your Xoom FE?  I've searched the Internet in regards to this issue and it seems that most owners are simply Hard resetting their device to resolve the problem.  Not only is this a pain, the problem simply returns again later.

On my Xoom FE, if I go to settings and Storage it shows most of the internal storage being tied up in Applications.  If I go to Manage Applications / Storage use, it also agrees that is is all being tied up in the applications.  However, I don't have that many applications.  If you add them all up they are well under 1.0 GB.  But the menu shows I am currently using over 9.4 GB in Applications.

If I use DiskUsage to scan the memory, it shows that 8.2 GB is used for System Data and only 542 MB for Apps.

I don't know of any other way to look for this memory usage.  Does anyone have any other ideas or fixes?

I've also tried clearing out the cache files for the browser, but it doesn't seem to do much.  Rebooting (powering off and back on) the Xoom doesn't help much either.

It's almost like the Application Updates are using up the memory and not getting purged after the update, but I really have no idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as Hard Resetting is a real pain in the butt.

Options

6754 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 70

Re: Low Storage / Memory Issue

2012-07-19, 2:53 AM

Has anyone found a solution to the issue of LOW STORAGE conditions that appear mysteriously over time of using your Xoom FE?  I've searched the Internet in regards to this issue and it seems that most owners are simply Hard resetting their device to resolve the problem.  Not only is this a pain, the problem simply returns again later.

On my Xoom FE, if I go to settings and Storage it shows most of the internal storage being tied up in Applications.  If I go to Manage Applications / Storage use, it also agrees that is is all being tied up in the applications.  However, I don't have that many applications.  If you add them all up they are well under 1.0 GB.  But the menu shows I am currently using over 9.4 GB in Applications.

If I use DiskUsage to scan the memory, it shows that 8.2 GB is used for System Data and only 542 MB for Apps.

I don't know of any other way to look for this memory usage.  Does anyone have any other ideas or fixes?

I've also tried clearing out the cache files for the browser, but it doesn't seem to do much.  Rebooting (powering off and back on) the Xoom doesn't help much either.

It's almost like the Application Updates are using up the memory and not getting purged after the update, but I really have no idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as Hard Resetting is a real pain in the butt.

Hello tom212,

There are a few reasons why memory can become over allocated under Android (and on ANY tablet):

• The known memory leak in the stock Google browser - if you browser the Internet regularly, this browser will consume you available memory. For the moment, the only solution is using another browser (such as Dolphin Pad)

• Rogue or poorly written Android apps can reserve or consume memory incorrectly, these can usually be identified using a memory usage app.

• The Google market stores any rented Videos local on your device for several days, taking up larger amounts of memory depending on the quality and length.

• Corrupted cache files can report allocation incorrectly under certain (uncommon) conditions.

I own the Xoom FE, Xoom 4G/LTE and Droid XYBoard tablets and do not experienced any memory shortages, despite loading over 300 apps and local CoPilot Live GPS maps. The key is avoiding the issues outlined above and using memory management apps to monitor usage and resolve any issues. You might also want to check out the app "Memory Booster for tablets" on the Google market, it has many handy memory management features and options.

-Doc

Options

22 Posts

07-18-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 70

2012-07-19, 14:52 PM

Doc,

I downloaded Dolphin Pad, so we will see if that helps.

I also downloaded Memory Booster for Tablet for $3.99 and all it seems to do is help with the 1GB of RAM, which I don't have a problem with.  I already have a task killer for that.  My problem is with the 12+ GB of usable intenal memory that slowly disappears.  Can you recomend a memory ussage or memory management apps for that purpose?

I haven't watched (streamed nor rented) any movies or videos in months and have only watched the few MP4's I have loaded on my external SD card.  I ussually watch them with MX Player.

Thanks for your help,

tom212

Options

6754 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 70

2012-07-20, 5:18 AM

tom212 said:

Doc,

I downloaded Dolphin Pad, so we will see if that helps.

I also downloaded Memory Booster for Tablet for $3.99 and all it seems to do is help with the 1GB of RAM, which I don't have a problem with.  I already have a task killer for that.  My problem is with the 12+ GB of usable intenal memory that slowly disappears.  Can you recomend a memory ussage or memory management apps for that purpose?

I haven't watched (streamed nor rented) any movies or videos in months and have only watched the few MP4's I have loaded on my external SD card.  I ussually watch them with MX Player.

Thanks for your help,

tom212

Hello tom212,

I'm not sure why you are only showing the first 1 GB, I think mine shows the entire internal memory. I'd suggest getting the (free) app called "Disk Usage" and see what apps or system processes are eating your memory. That app is great at breaking down the internal (/data) and external (/mnt/external1) storage systems in detail.The first step should be identifying what is occupying your memory, then we can find the offender from there.

-Doc

Options

18 Posts

01-09-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 70

2012-07-20, 13:46 PM

This is a known issue that has no way to fix it other than hard resetting every time the Xoom reaches the 12 gig ceiling.  I'm doing this about once every two months.  In the past I tried to resolve it via all the various methods suggested, but they don't work.  Really this is an operating system bug issue that Motorola should issue a fix for....but has not.  

It is frustrating and it is lame that Motorola knows about this very serious and very frustrating bug, but does nothing about it.

So unfortunately, the advice is to just not keep any personal files on the device.  Movies that I have on the device I keep on the memory card...so resetting doesn't require me to reload them.  I just have to reload all the apps and reorient my settings.

I imagine when ICS comes out for the FE, this issue will be resolved.

oh wait, its highly doubtful Motorola will issue ICS for the Xoom

oh well

Options

22 Posts

07-18-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 70

2012-07-20, 13:47 PM

Doc,

I already have DiskUsage.  See the original post.  It shows all of the memory being tied up in System Data, but you can't go any farther to narrow it down.

In addition, using ES File Explorer I found the following using the Properties function.

ALL of the following directories have very large volumes.  I never could figure out exactly how large because the counter kept going for hours and I stopped it before any of them completed.  I allowed the /sys/block directory to go the longest.  But I think they all would have kept going equally as long.  It also showed several hundred thousand and even millions of files and sub-folders in each.

/sys/block      was over 20 GB

/sys/bus        was over 10 GB

/sys/class       was over 5 GB

/sys/dev         was over 5 GB

/sys/devices    was over 5 GB

/sys/module    was over 8 GB

Obviously these numbers are not possible.  There are only 16 GB of internal memory and only around 12 GB is usable.

In addition, my Xoom FE is NOT rooted.  And all of the other directories on the root folder showed normal, acceptable sizes.  The only strange ones were the ones in the /sys/ directory listed.  The other /sys/ folders were normally sized as well.  I can drill down farther if you think it would help.  But do to the time required, I thought I would stop here and see what you thought.

Thanks again for your help with this,

tom212

Options

18 Posts

01-09-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 70

2012-07-20, 13:50 PM

Doc is always helpfu in suggesting apps that will show you file usage.  These apps however are not a solution that fixes the problem, they just show you file usage and the problem persists.  Like going to the doctor and saying my back hurts, and the doctor giving you a mirror so you can see the knife in your back.  Thanks for showing me, but the knife is still there...

I keep hardly any apps on my Xoom FE now...(because it is cumbersome to reload so many and you know that you'll be needed to reload them in the future) and it still bloats out all on its own. 

Options

18 Posts

01-09-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 70

2012-07-20, 13:55 PM

Also,

I don't use google browser, I use Dolphin

and I don't use google play movies

and I don't have many apps and the ones I do have are pretty mainstream (unlikey to be poorly written rogue apps, e.g. Facebook)

Options

6754 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 70

2012-07-20, 15:25 PM

xtabay1 said:

This is a known issue that has no way to fix it other than hard resetting every time the Xoom reaches the 12 gig ceiling.  I'm doing this about once every two months.  In the past I tried to resolve it via all the various methods suggested, but they don't work.  Really this is an operating system bug issue that Motorola should issue a fix for....but has not.  

It is frustrating and it is lame that Motorola knows about this very serious and very frustrating bug, but does nothing about it.

So unfortunately, the advice is to just not keep any personal files on the device.  Movies that I have on the device I keep on the memory card...so resetting doesn't require me to reload them.  I just have to reload all the apps and reorient my settings.

I imagine when ICS comes out for the FE, this issue will be resolved.

oh wait, its highly doubtful Motorola will issue ICS for the Xoom

oh well

@xtabay1,

This is a known issue for SOME owners. I have owned a Xoom FE now for several months and have NEVER run out of space and never reboot it. My family use the Xoom FE on a daily basis (typically 4-6 hours/day) and yet I literally never reboot it - ever. So what is the difference here?, that's what I am trying to determine. I think it is far too easy to simply think "this is just a Xoom FE issue for everyone", reality it is not. I also own the Xoom 4G/LTE and xYBoard 10.1 and neither of those have this issue either. Certainly the Honeycomb Android OS has been the same across these devices and the hardware between the Xoom 4G/LTE/WiFi and Xoom FE are nearly identical, so why did this issue not affect the other tablets?

As far as ICS is concerned, there has been no change in the message from Motorola, the Xoom FE is still being reported as receiving it. Timing has been delayed (officially) once to Q3, so we should be seeing it soon. If you have an official press release from Motorola, please post it here.

-Doc

Options

6754 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 70

2012-07-20, 15:44 PM

xtabay1 said:

Doc is always helpfu in suggesting apps that will show you file usage.  These apps however are not a solution that fixes the problem, they just show you file usage and the problem persists.  Like going to the doctor and saying my back hurts, and the doctor giving you a mirror so you can see the knife in your back.  Thanks for showing me, but the knife is still there...

I keep hardly any apps on my Xoom FE now...(because it is cumbersome to reload so many and you know that you'll be needed to reload them in the future) and it still bloats out all on its own. 

@xtabay1,

Thanks for the kind words (perhaps with some sarcasm?), but the apps I suggested were meant to help IDENTIFY and diagnose the root cause of this issue. Unlike your example, there is no such knife that anyone can see, so how can we expect the pain to ever go away, even under ICS? You go to a doctor for a diagnosis and just like my request above, he or she asks you to answer questions and analyze the source of your pain, trying to identify what is causing the pain in the first place (just like using the utility apps I suggested). We both know there is something wrong, but until we can identify the source, then you may be simply taking pain medicine instead of removing the knife.

-Doc

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete