Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA XOOM™ (Non-U.S.)
All Forum Topics
Options

27 Posts

05-18-2011

Germany

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 11

Battery performance after 3.1 update...

2011-08-27, 16:57 PM

Hi all,

i am searching for an answer i've read in the  U.S/non-U.S forum concerning the poor battery performance of the Xoom  after the 3.1 update. Unfortunately the search function of this forum is  totally rubbish, so i am not able to find the answer where someone  explains how to solve this by resetting the capacity readout by deleting  some kind of init file...

Can someone remember that and give me a link to that answer?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Thorsten

Options

41 Posts

06-15-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 11

Re: Battery performance after 3.1 update...

2011-08-27, 20:59 PM

For me, the problem has been solved by factory reset. In short, you should backup your data and applications. You can backup your data by removing it to external SD card or to your PC, and you can backup your apps using your Google account. But, using Google account will only save your app list, i.e. if you do for example a lot of Angry Birds, the app will be reinstalled in your Xoom but your progress will be lost. So you should look for some programs that backup all your "things". After doing the backup you should do factory reset by going to settings > privacy > Factory data reset. There is only one problem I faced after the reset, which is Google chrome bookmarks synchronization. I can't synchronize the bookmarks with my Xoom browser.

Cheers.

Options

230 Posts

08-08-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 11

2011-08-28, 5:54 AM

Factory reset hasn't solved this problem for me, I lost Facebook app and Google Music beta.

Any solutions from Moderators/Managers?

Options

27 Posts

05-18-2011

Germany

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 11

2011-08-28, 13:37 PM

Tried also a factory reset after backing up my bookmarks and made some photos of my desktops and apps list

Lets see, if it will be better...

Cheers, Thorsten

Options

27 Posts

05-18-2011

Germany

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2011-08-29, 16:15 PM

Ok, the Xoom power management definitely changed between 3.01 and 3.1.

Today morning at 06:00 o'clock the gauge says 74% (the drain over night was about 4%). Today evening the gauge says 56%. 3G was turned off, WLAN was turned on, open network notification was tuned off, the device was inside my bag taken with me to work, but unused the whole day long.

The power consumption overview says "Display 46%" and "Android OS 32%"!!!. What the heck is Android 3.1 doing in standby mode???

I have the same apps installed as before the factory reset (to be honest, i didn't reinstall 6 apps).

So when i do an estimation: same hardware, same apps, same usage behaviour -> about half the usage time than with 3.01 -> means 2 days until next recharge instead of 4 days. Sorry, but that totally sucks...

Cheers, Thorsten

Options

33 Posts

04-18-2011

Canada

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 11

2011-08-30, 1:46 AM

I am having the same problem, I took my zoom camping for the weekend, I turned it on once and saw my battery at about 60% and set it to airplane mode but it died quickly. I did not even use it.

from restart, to fully charged to dead with no use at all. I get 1 day 16hrs. with the screen off and all radios off.

Options

230 Posts

08-08-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 11

2011-08-30, 18:52 PM

I have noticed that turning Wifi off or when screen is off makes a big difference, when screen is off and Wifi off my Xoom is using 25% battery in 12h.

Options

27 Posts

05-18-2011

Germany

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 11

2011-09-01, 5:23 AM

Hi all,

after the following procedure, it seems that my Xoom behaves now like before with 3.01 (concerning the battery performance ):

- I totally drained the battery until the Xoom performes a safety shutdown (accelerated by setting the backlight to maximum, turned on all the radio stuff and the GPS on and run ezPDF to prevent the device to go into standby). At about 3% the device shut down.

- Then i plugged it to the charger. The white LED turned on ( i expected, that the LED will go red below 5%, but i went white!). The Xoom charged several hours, until the LED went green. I left the device in this state over night.

- In the morning, i turned the device on again and used it as usual (standby most of the time, about 1,5 hours on, with WLAN or 3G turned on). In the evening the capacity readout shows 88% and that's what i expected. The consumption overview now shows, that the Android OS consumption was much less than before (12% instead of 36%).

Maybe the fuel gauge chip need some kind of complete hardware controlled only, OS independent charge cycle to get the correct battery capacity again.

Would be great to get feedback from other users that noticed the same battery performance problem, if the above procedure helps...

Cheers, Thorsten

Options

2011-09-01, 6:38 AM

I'll give that a try and see what happens, will report back when done, thanks.

dl9sec wrote:

Hi all,

after the following procedure, it seems that my Xoom behaves now like before with 3.01 (concerning the battery performance ):

- I totally drained the battery until the Xoom performes a safety shutdown (accelerated by setting the backlight to maximum, turned on all the radio stuff and the GPS on and run ezPDF to prevent the device to go into standby). At about 3% the device shut down.

- Then i plugged it to the charger. The white LED turned on ( i expected, that the LED will go red below 5%, but i went white!). The Xoom charged several hours, until the LED went green. I left the device in this state over night.

- In the morning, i turned the device on again and used it as usual (standby most of the time, about 1,5 hours on, with WLAN or 3G turned on). In the evening the capacity readout shows 88% and that's what i expected. The consumption overview now shows, that the Android OS consumption was much less than before (12% instead of 36%).

Maybe the fuel gauge chip need some kind of complete hardware controlled only, OS independent charge cycle to get the correct battery capacity again.

Would be great to get feedback from other users that noticed the same battery performance problem, if the above procedure helps...

Cheers, Thorsten

Options

1 Posts

09-02-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 11

2011-09-02, 1:58 AM

Hi There:

I also had battery draining issues after updating to 3.1.  My usage showed 1 hour 45 minutes in that time the battery level went from 100 to 73, I returned my unit to the store for a refund after that.

I really loved the xoom but was very disappointed with the drainage issue.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete