Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA XOOM™ U.S. (3G, 4G LTE or Wi-Fi)
All Forum Topics
Options

27 Posts

05-18-2011

Germany

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 14

Battery performance after 3.1 update...

2011-08-27, 16:57 PM

Hi all,

i am searching for an answer i've read in the U.S/non-U.S forum concerning the poor battery performance of the Xoom after the 3.1 update. Unfortunately the search function of this forum is totally rubbish, so i am not able to find the answer where someone explains how to solve this by resetting the capacity readout by deleting some kind of init file...

Can someone remember that and give me a link to that answer?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Thorsten

Options

885 Posts

03-08-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 14

Re: Battery performance after 3.1 update...

2011-08-27, 18:21 PM

I'll see if I can find it and post the link but I think it onvolves a factory reset to do the entire process. You didn't mention your problem beyond battery performance. The problem they were addressing is that the battery charge indicator did 't go to 100% and not actual battery perforAnce.

I'm fairly sure it was  posted by gmanapps and you could message him directly.

tfg

Options

33 Posts

04-18-2011

Canada

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 14

2011-08-30, 1:01 AM

I am having the same problem, I took my zoom camping for the weekend, I turned it on once and saw my battery at about 60% and set it to airplane mode but it died quickly. I did not even use it. ( Mr. iPad's battery went down just 10% over the while weekend including using it for stargazing.) I felt embarest brining out my xoom when I saw how smooth the augmented star map ran on the iPad, made google sky map seem like a a hobbies pathetic weekend programing effort. 

The insult aside, If someone can identify the problem I would be very happy, I have atached to screen shots.

Note: I don't use Maps much I have used it once or twice to check out my house and my office, but it is the biggest battery hog and I have no idea why. ps. this was also the case before 3.1 upgrade, but I used to get at leased 2 or 3 days with some use. 

20110829_004.jpg

the images are from restart, to fully charged to dead with no use at all. 1 day 16hrs.

20110829_001.jpg

Options

33 Posts

04-18-2011

Canada

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 14

2011-08-30, 1:01 AM
Attaching file "20110829_001.jpg" (528KB)
Options

885 Posts

03-08-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 14

2011-08-30, 2:29 AM

Maps will run all the time if you start it. The xomm IMHO will run about two days tops. For maximum life I'd power it down if you are not going to use it. You need to be sure that you don't have any programs running and use the left arrow to back out of a program rather than the home button cause that will leave programs running in the background. As you noted maps is a battery hog as it constantly uses gps. You can try one of the task killer programs as they will probably do a better job of Monitoring battery use. For camping trips consider getting a car charger for the xoom.

tfg

Options

6817 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 14

2011-08-30, 2:46 AM

@dl9sec,

I think the post you are looking for is here:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/444749#444749

In this post, gmanapps gives some steps that clear out the batterystat.bin, making the Xoom re-learn the battery state. I have not experienced this issue personally, but I would like to know if it solves your issue.

@Tim Watt - You might want to try this as well and let me know your results.

If this does not solve your issues, I would suggest getting the app "SystemPanel" and using the monitor mode to see if there is something more specific consuming your battery. IMHO, the settings above do not provide enough details.

-Doc

Options

12299 Posts

11-19-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 14

2011-08-30, 4:08 AM

Tim Watt wrote:

Note: I don't use Maps much I have used it once or twice to check out my house and my office, but it is the biggest battery hog and I have no idea why. ps. this was also the case before 3.1 upgrade, but I used to get at leased 2 or 3 days with some use.

Hello Tim.  Aside from having a very weak 3G signal, the greatest drain you will normally put on your device is the use of Maps/Navigation (in combination with whatever other apps are actively running in the foreground or background).  This has been true on every Android phone I have used to date.  On my own Xoom, I have not seen a degradation in the battery performance.  My best advice is to ensure you turn off GPS when you are not using an app that requires the function.  Some developers have this coded into their app to turn GPS off when the app is exited, others do not.    --- Dan

Options

33 Posts

04-18-2011

Canada

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 14

2011-08-31, 0:32 AM

@ Dan, thanks, I thought the GPS was only on when the GPS icon came on in the bottom right corner.

can the GPS come one when you are not using the device? I have a WiFi only device so week signal shouldn't be a problem when radio is off (in airplane mode)

@ Doc I will give it a go, I am a little disappointed I am getting about 1.5 days standby (fresh start- no apps running, and wifi and screen off.) looking further dawn at the post you sent the specks recon about

STANDBY TIME = up to approx. 14 days.

I will report back after I have backed up my device and charged it for 48 hrs.

Options

33 Posts

04-18-2011

Canada

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 14

2011-09-06, 17:34 PM

@ Doc

Thanks for the lead, it worked! - frustrating non the less, akin to solving Windows problems, by reinstall everything.

The fact that I now get the regular 2-3 days of intermittent use is by no means an endorsement of the battery performance, its just way better than the 1.5 days of standby I got after the 3.1 update (with all radios and screen off).

So to separate Superstition for deductive reasoning. ( it may have been the reset alone or any other of the points below i'll never know.)

1) I didn't try just a factory reset. (I did the 48 house power off charge before resetting.)
2) I disabled all obvious google services that implied my bandwidth, cpu and energy consumption without preauthorized consent.
3) I didn't install all the apps I had before.  (ie I also didn't use google backup as I wasn't sure if the backup would restore settings I didn't want.  All in all my

4) I removed the SD card.

Xoom is useful again. And I am Happy.

Options

6817 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 14

2011-09-06, 17:54 PM

@Tim,

Glad that worked and you got back your expected battery life. These types of issues are not always an exact science and after a certain point, it is easier to remove everything (go to ground zero) and then build back from there. If you decide to add back many of your apps, I would still suggest installing SystemPanel and monitoring the battery use and cpu cycles as you add them back one at a time. That way you can isolate any apps that were negatively affecting your battery.

-Doc

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete