Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA XOOM™ U.S. (3G, 4G LTE or Wi-Fi)
All Forum Topics
Options

91 Posts

03-15-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 31 of 39

Re: Google Talk Microphone Problem

2011-05-16, 5:06 AM

I am sorry to say that this is not a universal issue.  I regularly video chat with another Xoom user as well as a Mac laptop user using GoogleTalk.  The audio is always very good on both sides.  Almost surprisingly good.  No problems with stuttering, dropouts, etc. 

Since the 3.1 update, I have tried my bluetooth earpiece and the incoming audio level is very low and the person on the other end says the audio quality is extremely poor.  The same earpiece on my droid phone works well.

Toby

Options

1997 Posts

06-03-2015

USA

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 32 of 39

2011-05-16, 12:44 PM

ihatemytreo, did you try a headset with the xoom? Not sure if it will make and difference as it didn't for me but I was getting much better results than you when one of us had a pc. It's disappointing this app doesn't work well.

Options

3 Posts

05-14-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 33 of 39

2011-05-16, 15:27 PM

Same issue here. Gtalk will render my mic useless if i send the video chat invite (to a Mac).  Works perfectly if they send the invite, however. seems the 3.1 update has not fixed this but need to do more testing and will report accordingly.

Options

91 Posts

03-15-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 34 of 39

2011-05-16, 16:52 PM

How about this as a theory.  The audio in googletalk on my xoom works just fine netween me and another xoom user as well as a Mac laptop user.  Understanding a little about how noise cancellation works, I wonder if my success is related to the fact that I use my Xoom with the Moto gel case?  I imagine that the case itself has a dampening effect on any vibration transmitted through the case by the speakers.  This vibration could cause the noise cancellation/VOX functionality to malfunction.  Could also explain why using headsets or turning down the volume sometimes helps with the issue.  I have noticed that the Xoom mic is very sensitive, in that if I physically cover the hole in the case where the mic is, it has very little effect on the sound that is picked up by the mic.

As a side note, the other Xoom user that I video chat with also uses the Moto gel case.

Toby

Options

31 Posts

04-06-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 35 of 39

2011-05-17, 1:21 AM

its unfortunate that this hasnt been fixed yet, amongst the other issues...

i wanted to use my xoom to video chat with my sons while on travel. i just tried this out on multiple different networks in different conbinations and the xoom xperienced bad audio skipping everytime!

Options

54 Posts

11-07-2009

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 36 of 39

2011-05-18, 0:23 AM

This improved GTalk video: headset or called while Xoom was in its case (go figure); rebooted and optimized DSL modem for better upload speed. Makes it "usable."

Options

3 Posts

05-14-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 37 of 39

2011-05-18, 3:49 AM

not saying 3.1 was the reason, but in my case since the update the xoom mic does not appear work on gtalk regardless of who sent the invite.   no case or bluetooth used before or after, so something (software?) changed.

since ms bought skype, i wonder if that means we're sol on getting that app working...

Options

22 Posts

03-21-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 38 of 39

2011-06-05, 1:33 AM

I am having the same problem. I tried this at home with a super wifi connection and my wife upstairs on her laptop with camera and it seemed to work ok. All other times gtalk does not work well. Same issues - I see and hear the other party fine, they can only hear me intermittently. I tried talking to my wife using only the audio chat function (her on laptop, me on Xoom) and the same problem occurs. I can't get skype to work either. 

Extremely fristrating that one of the core features of this tablet just flat doesn't work. How could google/motorola flub something so basic? This problem eliminates one of the key reasons for buying the tablet or using it as a laptop replacement for travel.  Does anyone know if there is a fix in the works? Do other tablets have this problem or is the Xoom the only one that can't get this basic function right?

Options

1997 Posts

06-03-2015

USA

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 39 of 39

2011-06-05, 15:10 PM

bsimpson wrote:

Extremely fristrating that one of the core features of this tablet just flat doesn't work. How could google/motorola flub something so basic? This problem eliminates one of the key reasons for buying the tablet or using it as a laptop replacement for travel.  Does anyone know if there is a fix in the works? Do other tablets have this problem or is the Xoom the only one that can't get this basic function right?

If there is one thing that everyone with a device capable of video calls will do as soon as they have a chance to try it, is a video call. Might just be a novelty but I haven't had one person I know not want to try it at least once. If it worked better I'd use it more often.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms