Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA XOOM™ U.S. (3G, 4G LTE or Wi-Fi)
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

11-20-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 1 of 7

apk files on an SD card

2011-11-20, 21:28 PM

I just received my Xoom tablet with Android 3.2 installed. I am trying to access the SD card to install Aldiko eReader, but can't seem to find anywhere to view the contents of the SD card. I do not have availability of WI-FI in my home or area, (very remote)

Can someone tell me how to install from the SD card and how to install .apk files that I have downloaded from the internet, such as Angry Birds.

Thank you.

Options

2 Posts

11-20-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 7

Re: apk files on an SD card

2011-11-20, 21:28 PM

I just received my Xoom tablet with Android 3.2 installed. I am trying to access the SD card to install Aldiko eReader, but can't seem to find anywhere to view the contents of the SD card. I do not have availability of WI-FI in my home or area, (very remote)

Can someone tell me how to install from the SD card and how to install .apk files that I have downloaded from the internet, such as Angry Birds.

Thank you.

Options

8 Posts

11-20-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 3 of 7

2011-11-21, 0:36 AM

First, you will need to get a file manager app, like Astro or eStrong. Then, on the Xoom, enable installing from unknown source..its a checkbox in the Applications menu... load the files on the sd card, then navigate to them with your file manager of choice and install. In Astro, since that is the one I use, you will need to go 'up' one folder level from where it defaults to when you open it, and then choose the folder "sdcard2" to see whats on the actual SD, the folder sdcard is the internal storage.

Options

703 Posts

04-26-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2011-11-21, 1:47 AM

not sure this is correct, i read it somewhere but it said you may need to power down or reboot it to be able to see it in the downloads.

Options

1171 Posts

09-28-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2011-11-21, 1:58 AM

So you don't even have a file manager installed on the device yet at this point?

If so will need to go old school a bit.

Connect Xoom up to your PC, copy the file manager APK file to the internal storage. (storage that shows up as "Internal Storage" when you are connected to your PC.)  Make note of the APK files file name.

Bring up your Xoom's web browser.  

Type in:

file://mnt/sdcard/YOURFILENAME.apk

Where YOURFILENAME.apk is the name of the APK file for the filemanager.    It shoud come up and ask you if you want to install it.   Once that is installed, should be much easier as can use the filemanager to install the other APK files.

You have to make sure you have the install from unknown source box checked under settings->applications on the Xoom.    Then that should get you going.

Options

838 Posts

03-08-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2011-11-21, 22:27 PM

Also if you are installing programs that you've downloaded from the Internet, be careful about the source. If possible download them directly from a known supplier such as the Android Market or Amazon. People are writing viruses and infecting common programs with a virus so be careful with what you install. When installing from non Market sources you may have to enable the switch to allow non-Android Market apps to be installed.

tfg

Options

1 Posts

05-08-2020

US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 7 of 7

Re:apk files on an SD card

2020-05-08, 4:28 AM

Try app2 sd pro latest version

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete